New AAI ALPA Strategy: Fire SWA Haters!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lear 70,

what are your thought on the FAPA lawsuit.
Well, I don't think I get a vote, but if I was a betting man, I'd say it has roughly a snowball's chance in Hades.

Binding arbitration is binding arbitration. If you don't like the results, you don't take your toys and go home and call a lawyer. But that's just my thoughts. A judge might think completely differently, although I hope not. What a Pandora's box if some judge decides to say that "Binding arbitration isn't binding" and overturns the award.

What's your thoughts?

I was told years ago by a union attorney that you can't change an arbitrators decision unless you can prove that the decision was made using incorrect or false facts. If you dont agree with the decision, but the decision was made using good information, tough titties. But then again, I'm no Judge Judy.

"The Group B3 EVP represents AirTran, Spirit, Comair, Compass, Capital, and North American." quote was stated earlier. Does this mean ALPA considers AT as a regional? Not flaming, just curious on why they aren't considered on their own considering the size compared to these others.

Well, the vote to remove TO was 7:1 and the letter that came out was signed by all but ONE of the ten MEC reps, so I would say the direction of our union is pretty steady. When everyone's on one page except one person, I'd say there's a pretty clear sense of direction inside the MEC, and that's who's "steering the ship",

This is all that needs to be said. The vote was overwhelming and it directed the continued and absolute autonomy of our Merger Committee (MC). Without any interference from a higher body.

The AirTran MC are a smart, decent and trustworthy group. I really believe that any SWAPA pilot that had a beer with them would think the same thing. Their goal is to defend their pilots interests whilst ensuring that we contribute everything we have to SWA.

Hopefully we can put all of this behind us quickly and expend our energies on having some fun and making some jack. :)

Last edited:

When I started at AT, ALPA was a 4 letter word. If you even mentioned ALPA, the next words out of someone's mouth would be a tirade of profanities. Not an exaggeration.

All I'm saying an in-house union was no match for this management group.

At airtran, things changed with ALPA, mostly for the better.

The recalled pilot in question was the Vice Chairman at AirTran, but also holds a separate ALPA national position as EVP. That position continues.

I'm starting to worry about you man. You're kinda talking in the third person here. Its clear who you are so relax a bit.

This will not affect SLI at all, and it is really not the business of SWAPA pilots.

You just keep saying this Ty, and maybe you and your peeps will really believe it!

Your Vice Chair was just thrown under the bus as far as I can see. Your Chairman has involved himself in the SLI process, yet your Vice Chair is recalled for the same. Something doesn't add up. I hear your Chairman is next...but I'm sure that won't affect SLI at all either. Good Luck!

This recall is probably best for all of us, because a negotiated settlement is best for all of us. It shows that, possibly, some at AAI aren't as radical ("hold out for arbitration") as some of us may have been led to believe. After all, its easy to misrepresent ones intent on a message board. If this is the case, congratulations on a step in the right direction.

Latest resources

Back