• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New AA winglets...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did I read it correctly, AA is only putting winglets on one -800, and winglets on about a half dozen 757's as a test?

Cool. I was unaware AA was getting winglets for their 737's. I thought AA was looking for winglets for their 757's. Of course, we have the only data for the 757 and am looking forward to a new revenue source.

fokkerjet said:
Did I read it correctly, AA is only putting winglets on one -800, and winglets on about a half dozen 757's as a test?

Yup, that's correct. Only 20 757s will get the winglets and they will use these exclusively for Europe flying out of NY/BOS. Only one 737 is getting them for "testing" purposes...(note to mgt: I guarantee it'll save fuel!) Also because there is an issue with DFW gate space when a winglet 737 parks next to a widebody.

We also have options for another 120 winglets for the 757. The one for the 737 was pretty much a gift from Aviation Partners to see if we like it. Smart marketing move. It will save gas and the company will order more.

AA

Anyone have any data on how much fuel they save? In other words, how many pounds does it save on a 757 going from EWR-LAX ???

AAflyer said:
We also have options for another 120 winglets for the 757. The one for the 737 was pretty much a gift from Aviation Partners to see if we like it. Smart marketing move.

Kind of like what McDonnell Douglas did with the MD80's......give a few away on very cheap leases and hope for a sale:eek:

HawkDrvr said:
Anyone have any data on how much fuel they save? In other words, how many pounds does it save on a 757 going from EWR-LAX ???

I flew last week with a Captain who saved a dispach release from ATL-LAS (non-winglet) to compare with the flight we flew with a winglet bird. I can't remember the exact punds of fuel, but I did some quick math and at $3/gallon, the difference was about $500 on a 4 hour flight. Granted, we hope fuel doesn't stay that high for long, but if it does, they pay for themselves pretty quickly.

fokkerjet said:
Kind of like what McDonnell Douglas did with the MD80's......give a few away on very cheap leases and hope for a sale:eek:

Bingo!!

Not sure of the performance gains on the 757, but at a recent Ops meeting with some of the "In The Know" people, AA will supposedly launch a massive push into Europe next Spring out of our new JFK terminal and BOS. They will go to lots of middle sized cities that do not justify a 767 or 777 right now. We plan to start New Castle England, and I have also heard Lisbon, Barcelona, Niece, etc.

The numbers that were given to me were increases in range of 250-350 miles which opens up numerous markets.

I have never been one to think that the 757 was designed as a transatlantic bird, but we have been going to Manchester with it, as well as Shannon Ireland out of BOS this last year. The flights did VERY well revenue wise.

Anyway, it is nice to see something being done to aid in the cost of fuel, and if prices drop (gas), this is merely extra gravy.

aaflyer,

what will be covering the 757 domestic routes if they shift to intl? 80's?

does this mean more 80's routes will come to eagle (i hope not)? we just got, DFW-PIT, ORD-BWI, DFW-MDW

Latest resources

Back