Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wankel7

It's a slippery slope...
From everything that the new contract has to offer it sure seems like it is a great place to hang your hat.

I always figured I would end up at an airline and retire from there after many many years of service. But now the picture is different.

The quality of life that fractional flying can offer is outstanding. Especially, the QOL at Netjets. Great people, great flying, great compensation package, and retirement. With a strong union that delivers for the pilots and the company.

I think I would enjoy airline flying after a bunch a years afforded me the quality of life to enjoy the sacrifice. But I guess I'm greedy because Netjets can offer that to you now.

Just wondering how many others here are under 30 and thinking the same thing?

This is a hot topic right now. I have friends trying to make the same decision. I did not get into this industry to throw bags, load catering and check up on ground transportation. I came to Execjet/Netjets to get some pic jet time to get to the majors. Then came 911.

Now I still think for young guys SWA and definitely FED EX or UPS offers a better career opportunity, outside that I think it is a toss up. I don't see any majors with a 5 yr upgrade with the new 65 rule, and there will be mergers happening. USAIR trying to buy Delta last year, it doesn't get any more screwed up then that.

Worst case you will have an awesome career at NJA. In six years you will be making 120k-150k depending on how much you want to work in todays money. Not sure where else you can do that except for FedEX or UPS.

Stability? Anything can and probably will happen, but right now NJA is as stable as FedEx or UPS and more then SWA or any of the others in my opinion. Surely that will change, but that is where the cards fall now. I believe in the product here and feel that it will continue to grow. I think we are in the same postion as FEDEX was in the 80s....the market is under tapped and is growing every year. Will NJA still be at the top in 20 years? Nobody knows.

I'm under 30, flew at the regionals for about 6 years. Never had the "good" life at a major.. After being furloughed 3 times, and seeing guys with 20+ years get furloughed at the majors, it made me rethink my path to retirement.

I came to netjets looking for job security, good benefits, a good wage, and a great QOL. Netjets offers all of that and then some.

It ain't for everyone, but tossing bags is a very very very minor inconvenience. The pro's outweigh the cons 10 fold.

I might add that any young ones could at the very least be gaining seniority and a 30k type rating at NJA while they wait for the airline industry to shake out. I would NOT be hanging out at a regional waiting for that to happen. Worst case you stay at NJA until FedEX or UPS calls.

I don't see the regional QOL or pay going anywhere. Just as my 150k a year is not the 225k at SWA/Fedex/UPS, 100k at a regional is not 150k.

I just turned 30...

I just finished initial training at Netjets....

I spent 6 years at the regionals with 1 furlough...

I have very high level contacts at FedEx...

For me... I am just starting a family and I am happy to be at a company where I CAN hang my hat...not to mention a company that pays for all my medical bills! I am lucky to NOT have to be a company where you get furloughed seasonaly (gemini, polar, atlas), contracts take 5+ years to negotiate(ASA), or in fear of a major merger (Delta, United, etc.)

FedEx pays well, but people forget they type of flying they do... Back side is not all fun and games! I know from watching my father do it for 30+ years.... when you are 50 you will look like your are 90. Remember you dont get hired as a widebody captain....

Not to mention FedEx is not hiring right now! I remember pre 9/11 FedEx was in the process of making their newhires sign training contracts because guys were leaving in the middle of training to go to DELTA UNITED, etc..... hummmm

We(US Airways) lost one of our head training guys to a fractional. In a brown bag lunch with the CEO he mentioned it was a sign of the times. Here we are a major airline and a fractional buys away an employee. I know I'm looking at my options. 13 days off/mo and $80K a year sitting on reserve for the next ten years is not going to keep me around this place.

I just made that decision. Got awarded the upgrade at my regional the day after I interviewed at NJA. When the offer came it was an easy choice.

I would have love to have flown a Boeing or Airbus, but I put my family ahead of that desire and pursued NJA instead. I don't see myself regretting the decision either!

I just made that decision. Got awarded the upgrade at my regional the day after I interviewed at NJA. When the offer came it was an easy choice.

I would have love to have flown a Boeing or Airbus, but I put my family ahead of that desire and pursued NJA instead. I don't see myself regretting the decision either!

Props for putting your family first and making the best decision for you and yours. Welcome aboard! Look forward to meeting you out on the line.

We(US Airways) lost one of our head training guys to a fractional. In a brown bag lunch with the CEO he mentioned it was a sign of the times. Here we are a major airline and a fractional buys away an employee. I know I'm looking at my options. 13 days off/mo and $80K a year sitting on reserve for the next ten years is not going to keep me around this place.

JG is doing a great job at NetJets.

I, for one, am excited to have him follow me over here from US to NJ.

Latest resources

Back