• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Netjets - The final stop?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm 27 and been here about 2.5 years and am not sure if this is the place to hang my hat yet.

I really wish there was a better schd for the senior guys. At age 40 I would have 13 yrs of seniority and need still be on the 7n7. Seniority of a 13 yr guy and 20 year guy is the same, besides a/c and vacation the best schd you will fly will be 7n7. And right now Im still about 1-2 years away from upgrading.

If there was a premium schd lets say 5 on 7 off for the top 5 percent I would stay in a heartbeat.
If the right major calls, I think I will leave and take my shot. The flexibility (dropping, trading, picking up), possibility of a great schd (18 to 21 days off a month), workload that is 3 to 4 times less than what I m and doing now, will convince me to leave.

Don’t take me wrong guys this is a great job, but I'm not sure it’s the place for me. I have 35 plus years to give, I want great QOL, netjets just doesn't offer enough yet for me to want to put in 20 years. If income all being the same 20 years at almost any major (assuming I don't get laid off) will provide me with ability to control my schedule with up to 6 days off more a month than nja.

It may take me 20 years to get to where I have 18 plus days off, day trips if I like, dropping my 2 of my 4 four 3 day trips so I only work 6 days the entire month, but if i plan financially , and be lucky enough not to be furloughed. after 20 years at I could reduce my schd for less income and be happy flying only a couple days a month. I know this may all be a pipe dream, but I haven't lost all my hope just yet.

Right now I rather be a 20 yr captain a the right major than a 20 year captain at nja.

Check what's been happening at the airlines. I'm senior and only hold commutable 4-days. But then I get integrated and am scheduled 4-on, 1-off, 3-on, 1-off, 4-on, not commutable. On reserve or relief, five or six on-one off over a stretch of time is common. I'd gladly work seven day stretches in exchange for 26 weeks off per year plus vacation. The only problem is with that much time at home my wife might get tired of me.

One thing I've noticed coming to NJA from a regional airline is that a much higher percentage of guys here actually still enjoy flying, versus the airline where many people saw it as nothing more than a job where they might eventually get decent pay and a good schedule. While fractional/charter/corporate flying isn't for everyone, those who enjoy this type of flying could certainly make a career out of NetJets. If you come here, be prepared for the worst part of the job (being a professional airline passenger). That part kind of sucks.

You might want to go ahead and read that new contract you (I assume) voted on; it's kind of important. ;)

Briefly, yes, we still accrue one day a month. Section 10 has the details.

Next IBB there will be only 2 sections.....

SEction13 and Section 27. The entire contract will be placed in these 2 sections to ensure everyone reads the entire contract. :D

For me I'm happier than a pig in slop right now. My only regret is that I didn't accept the job with NetJets years ago when I had the opportunity. (I was drowning in a pool with a major at the time and then flushed after 9/11)

I am 31 and have no interest on moving on. This is my 4th airline with a strike and a furlough under my belt.

I agree with a previous post that one thing that needs to be addressed is having a better schedule to look forward to with senority, but right now you just can't beat the IMEDIATE QOL the NetJets has to offer. The benefits and not commuting sealed it for me. While starting a family and not having to up root them every few years is a huge benefit that is sometimes over looked. Sure a 20 year Capt at FEDEX has better QOL. But the 19 before that probably wasn't pretty. How many times did he have to move to a different base to get that QOL? How many different times weighing out taking the hit in QOL for more pay in a different aircraft, or as a Capt?

Sure we work harder than the typical major, but we are rewarded with having good QOL early in our career and for a much longer time. The fact that this market is just being tapped, and we are by far dominating that market, the sky is the limit here. Ask any major airline guy if he/she recalls a time when the company offered to renogotiate the contract with a major raise and better QOL issues before the current contract is over all at the same time of making record profits. It just doesn't happen. Make no mistake, the company bought us cheap and the company as well as us will be reaping the benefits in the near future.

One thing I've noticed coming to NJA from a regional airline is that a much higher percentage of guys here actually still enjoy flying, versus the airline where many people saw it as nothing more than a job where they might eventually get decent pay and a good schedule. While fractional/charter/corporate flying isn't for everyone, those who enjoy this type of flying could certainly make a career out of NetJets. If you come here, be prepared for the worst part of the job (being a professional airline passenger). That part kind of sucks.

+100000000

Coming to NJA made me remember that there was much more to flying than in and out of ATL and CVG.

I know a lot of guys that have been at a major for 13 years, 8 of which were on furlough. They work a lot more days per month than I do.

7n7 with 4 wks vacation averages 13.8 days/month.

I agree. However, there is more to the story.....

What so many fail to do is make an apples to apples comparison (to the extent possible) when comparing NJA to a Major.

To do this you must define days "worked". If you were at the Majors would you do any commuting or be doing ANY traveling while not on duty? I feel you have to compare days away from home/family, and also any uncompensated hours during a duty day.

This year at NJA I was:

On duty 154 days = 12.83 days/month

Flew the line 133 days (after subtracting 1 week for company and 2 weeks for FlightSafety) = 11.08 days/month

I could have taken one more tour off with personal days which would leave:
147 duty days = 12.25 days/month
or 126 line flying days = 10.05 days/month

At 10 years there will be another week of vacation in these figures.

Again, if you compare days away from home it is a much more appropriate comparison with the Majors.

I didn't volunteer for any extra days. Service year 6/7. Had gross wages over $122,000 (29% over base) not counting bonus payout. Had this year been at the new IBB wages this would have been a bit over $140,000. Add another $6-7k tax-free per-diem if you want, plus other extras.

Never had to "work" too hard loading bags. Line guys do the lifting. Actually there are not always that many bags, sometimes just briefcases or overnight bags. Calling ahead for ground transportation is no big deal and frankly doesn't happen all that often. Catering also not a big deal, in fact it is often left behind which means many $50 bottles of wine, etc. for the crew! (exceeds our normal stock list and cannot remain on aircraft).

All travel done on duty, with a ticket.

Get home after midnight pays me around $1800 and includes time recovery on front of next tour. Home after Noon and take the whole first day off next tour.

Summary: Nearly $150,000 compensation for a 7 year pilot, 10-13 days per month away from home, decent food not obtained from the airport food court, a minimum of 10 hours at the hotel, Hilton-quality hotels, full health/vision/dental, good QOL.

So once you finally get past the Boeing or Airbus fix and start to make a fair comparison, I feel this is light years ahead. I wouldn't go back to 121 even if I was in my 20's. Couldn't drag my family through that crap.

Last edited:
Coming to NJA was the best decision I have ever made. The quality of life is awesome. I am thirty something and wish I did it years ago, so that I'd be captain now. But now w/ the new contract life is sweet even as an FO.

but right now you just can't beat the IMEDIATE QOL the NetJets has to offer.

I'll take that bet... ;)

There are part 91 operators with significantly better QOL. But I have to hand it to you guys on the healthcare and retirement. Just outstanding. I'm very jealous.

Check what's been happening at the airlines. I'm senior and only hold commutable 4-days. But then I get integrated and am scheduled 4-on, 1-off, 3-on, 1-off, 4-on, not commutable. On reserve or relief, five or six on-one off over a stretch of time is common. I'd gladly work seven day stretches in exchange for 26 weeks off per year plus vacation. The only problem is with that much time at home my wife might get tired of me.
No offense but I have friends at SWA, FEDEX, DeLTA that have 18-22 days off a month that drop down to 6-9 days a month because they can afford too. Where do you work at?

I would only leave this job for a few select carriers and it still would be a hard choice. If I were to stay i would hope we could work on getting the senior guys at least one more week of vacation or a very senior 5-6 on 7-8 schd.

For the right carrier I would move to my base and stay there for the rest of my career. I still believe having the option of days trips, swapping, trading, dropping, knowing what ur doing trip wise, and 18-21 days off a month would outweigh the 7n7 by far down the road. With that being said I believe my QOL on and off the road could be greater than what NJA has to offer. I know the risks, but I guess I refuse to grow up and lose hope that I could have my cake and eat it too.

Latest resources

Back