• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets Smoking Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Interesting discussion and I can see both sides of the argument - the health of the pilot vs "Its the owners airplane!".

I was wondering what if the same attitude would apply if the owner lit up a joint.

At present, it is still legal to smoke a cigarette in the airplane.

A joint is illegal, and a mild hallucinogen. Now there ARE safety concerns there.

I'm a non-smoker and a bit of a health nut to boot. I can't stand that smell!

BUT, it is the owner's plane. As has been mentioned many times, after over 11 years here, I don't think I even need to switch to using toes to help me count how many times I've had someone smoking on my flights.

And what about the issue of the smell for the next pax flight? Owners who may really hate the smell of cigarettes? Well, if you feel it's not suitable for pax, ground it and have it professionally cleaned. It's very simple. Similarly, what would you do if a pax threw up all over the interior? Yeah, it could be cleaned up effectively by us or a cleaning crew, but what about the smell? Are we going to ban pax from puking on the plane? Good luck! If it stinks, for whatever reason, ground it and have it professionally cleaned.

As to health issues, well, one or two exposures to cigarette smoke per year? I'll step right up and admit I'm no doctor, and I've already mentioned I watch my health closely, but come on!! This isn't gonna hurt ya!

Gunfyter, I won't (read: can't) dispute your science analysis. But how much extended radiation exposure are we talking about here? How much additional exposure does it create over the usual background levels of radiation that a pilot is exposed to? Especially when it happens so infrequently. Wouldn't an X-ray at the hospital create an exposure to radiation FAR higher than any extra exposure we receive from cigarette smoke a couple times a year?

As to allergies, that's a tougher nut to crack. If it were me, i would politely and tactfully inform the pax of my allergy to cigarette smoke, and continue that while I understand they are allowed to smoke, it may cause a safety hazard to the flight if I became incapacitated because of it. Again, politely and tactfully.

VOR, you make me laugh! You chastise someone for supposed anecdotal evidence, but in a previous post on this thread make an obviously anecdotal comment about negatives outweighing positives at our job. I admit that some positives as conveyed by some people here are a bit overemphasized, but what are you basing YOUR analysis on? Are you, in fact, a Netjets pilot? It amazes me to see so many people flocking to work here with all the negatives you believe really exist. I mean, if you can see through to the truth, surely others can too. In truth, there ARE negatives. But most are really small and are far outweighed by all the true positives here. Show me some FACTS and maybe I'll look into becoming unhappier here.

Reality,

It only takes one exposure to secondary smoke.

its kind of like the lottery. You can buy 1 ticket and win... or you can buy thousands of tickets every day all your life and never Win.

I would prefer there were never any smoking anywhere near me. NJ will never ban it so I can only hope Hillary or obama do when they get in office....

"Every year, 3,000 nonsmoking adults die of lung cancer because they were exposed to smoke from cigarettes. Another 35,000 adults die from heart disease that’s attributable to exposure to secondhand smoke."

" Tobacco use is responsible for nearly 1 of every 5 deaths in the United States. Between 1997 and 2001, some 440,000 dads, moms, grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers, and sisters died as a result of their use of tobacco products."

People worry about how many die in the Iraq war... But the Tobacco companies kill more!

Last edited:
Show a little respect. The planes are professionally cleaned before another owner trip, and usually you can't tell someone smoked previously.

You're kidding right? When was the last time you've seen a "professional" cleaning crew hit our planes. Used to happen all the time at signature HPN.... now nada.

Still laughing.

Reality,

It only takes one exposure to secondary smoke.

its kind of like the lottery. You can buy 1 ticket and win... or you can buy thousands of tickets every day all your life and never Win.

I would prefer there were never any smoking anywhere near me. NJ will never ban it so I can only hope Hillary or obama do when they get in office....

"Every year, 3,000 nonsmoking adults die of lung cancer because they were exposed to smoke from cigarettes. Another 35,000 adults die from heart disease that’s attributable to exposure to secondhand smoke."

" Tobacco use is responsible for nearly 1 of every 5 deaths in the United States. Between 1997 and 2001, some 440,000 dads, moms, grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers, and sisters died as a result of their use of tobacco products."

People worry about how many die in the Iraq war... But the Tobacco companies kill more!

Gun,

The problem I have with your statistics, is they don't really answer the question of whether or not those cancers were caused by the smoke or something else. For example, how many of those people were already genetically predisposed for cancer? Lung cancer may be more prevalent in smokers, but can happen in anyone, even folks who assiduously avoid second-hand smoke.
For those that were non-smokers but got the diseases anyway, how much second-hand smoke were they exposed to before the cancer? Any truly cut and dried studies that conclusively point to someone who got lung cancer but was only exposed minimally to second-hand smoke in their lifetime?
Can those studies conclusively prove that the diseases came from second-hand smoke, and not from all the pollutants and toxic chemicals being spewed forth from the tailpipes of our cars/plane/boats/factories/etc...that we all breathe in on a daily basis? After all, they just recently informed us that the plastic bottles we drink from on an almost daily basis leech carcinogens from the plastic into our foodstuff and drink.

Look, I really hate smoking. I'm not defending it. But it's risk management. I have a little paper with some statistics on it that I carry around with me to help reassure white knuckle fliers. Did you know that your chance of dieing in a car crash in your lifetime is 1 in 125? Are you making every effort to avoid the roadways? I realize you can mitigate some of the risk by driving defensively and not doing stupid things like driving drunk or reckless speeding, but much of it (other drivers) is completely out of your control. Life is full of managed risks.

So on the exceedingly rare occasion that someone wants to light up in the back of one of our aircraft, put the mask on. If you need to remove it to eat or head to the lav, I doubt the brief exposure will cause any harm. And if you're allergic, maybe try doing what I suggested before with the pax.

Personally, it won't hurt my feelings if it is banned by law in the near future. Not one little bit. But until that time, it's the owner's plane.

How come you don't look anything like your avatar?:laugh:

Come on, just close the cockpit door on that Falcon and let the F/A deal with it!:beer:

I'm a non-smoker and a bit of a health nut to boot. I can't stand that smell!

BUT, it is the owner's plane. As has been mentioned many times, after over 11 years here, I don't think I even need to switch to using toes to help me count how many times I've had someone smoking on my flights.

And what about the issue of the smell for the next pax flight? Owners who may really hate the smell of cigarettes? Well, if you feel it's not suitable for pax, ground it and have it professionally cleaned. It's very simple. Similarly, what would you do if a pax threw up all over the interior? Yeah, it could be cleaned up effectively by us or a cleaning crew, but what about the smell? Are we going to ban pax from puking on the plane? Good luck! If it stinks, for whatever reason, ground it and have it professionally cleaned.

Why do you guys keep saying they own the plane? No they don't. They own a fraction of an airplane, but likely not the one they are polluting. Instead, they are devaluing other owners assets.

"Professionally cleaned?" Seriously? The smell does not ever come out, and it offends other non-smoking owners.

Pilots at my company complained about smoking on our airplanes, and management backed us up. It was easy to justify a no smoking policy to our few smoking owners because their actions were not only impacting our crews, but also significantly reducing the quality of experience for our other owners.

If I bought a 20 million dollar airplane, and some other program owner stunk it up with cigarette smoke, I'd be livid.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back