NETJETS Seat Lock and Upgrade Section 5.3

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gentlemen, let me see if I can help.

NJA will reach a point very soon where being a First Officer becomes more than just a placeholder position while one awaits upgrade. Currently, the pilot to plane ratio averages just over 5. We have, according to the April 17th company seniority list, about 2641 crewmembers as of the March 5th hiring class (which I don't believe is anywhere near correct). The last projections I saw indicate we should be at about 3000 pilots by the end of the year with 435 airframes.

Traditionally, NJA has maintained a 60/40 PIC to SIC ratio. The real PIC percentage number is closer to 65% due to management pilots who don't fly much and guys in training and out on leave. If you take the total seniority and multiply it by 65%, you will have a seniority number which, traditionally, is in the middle of the current general upgrade range. In this case, take 2700 x .65 and you get seniority number 1755. Take this number, give or take 100, and you have the current general upgrade range. When total seniority reachs a point that puts your number into the upgrade range, you have a valid prediction of when to expect a bid award. For reference, we "think" the seniority list will reach 4000 pilots by 2010. You guys should do the numbers...

There is no question that upgrades are taking longer than they have in the past. That changes the personal choices because people could end up going beyond the 5th year F/O pay point. The MEC is aware of this and it will be part of the next negotiations. That said, if you can see yourself going beyond the 4 year point as a F/O, then transitioning to another aircraft should be a strong consideration. Let me give you some thoughts...

First, there is a value in a better QOL on the road. Next, you could make yourself more valuable on the open market to perhaps gain a few extra bucks flying day charter trips. Lastly, it is another type and it gets you experience in other types of operations within the company.

Before you make such a decision, please make use of the pilot demographic charts provided on the union website. You need to know which fleets can have you on the 7&7 schedule or may force you on to the reserve. Review which 7&7 schedules are available for those fleets. Look at the mission flown by those fleets. And consider one of the new fleets coming in the next 18 months (Encore+, XLS+, Hawker 4000) and those which will be growing by huge leaps (Sovergien, Excel) and those which won't (Ten, Ultra, 400). Be sure you know which pay the crossover pay and which don't. And lastly, know which fleets have good reputations among the pilots and which don't.

Finally, ask the questions on our boards. Lots of experience there once you filter through the noise. This is a big decision which will affect your ability to accept a PIC bid because, excepting a Class 4 or 5 bid award, you WILL be seatlocked in Class 1-2-3 for two more years.

Good luck to all.

Latest resources

Back