Netjets or Flexjets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How do you like your crow?

I thought the Net jet parent company is in business to make a profit? Rumor has it, old Warren is gettin' tired of handing out 20s to his read-headed step-child.

In 2006, pre-tax earnings of the flight services businesses totaled $103 million in the third quarter and $234 million for the first nine months compared to $42 million and $100 million for the comparable 2005 periods. The major portion of these increases related to the NetJets fractional ownership business http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/qtrly/3rdqtr06.pdf

Berkshire said its non-insurance businesses are also doing well, and the company singled out the performance of its fractional private jet ownership business, NetJets. Berkshire's flight services businesses, which includes NetJets and the FlightSafety training division, reported pretax earnings of $103 million, up from $42 million last year.​
Looks like your right though. NetJets parent company is in the business of making a profit.

Last edited:
I don't think the upgrade time of 3-5 years at NJA is accurate. I was hired in Feb and have 320 pilots junior to me already, with 2 classes scheduled per month indefinately. Also, there will be some significant attrition here after the first of the year with the second payout of the signing bonus.
I've been looking at the numbers and I conclude 2-3 years for an upgrade if one is willing to take the first A/C available. I met a SIC last tour who just finished his second year with NJA. He said he missed an upgrade slot by one number.

Someone on airlinepilotcentral posted 20 years for a realistic upgrade at NJA. Granted, planning on upgrade time is like betting on the cum, but 20 yrs seems a bit excessive; I can see that for the BBJ maybe but not everything else. Comments from the floor would be appreciated...
Thanks,

Someone on airlinepilotcentral posted 20 years for a realistic upgrade at NJA. Granted, planning on upgrade time is like betting on the cum, but 20 yrs seems a bit excessive; I can see that for the BBJ maybe but not everything else. Comments from the floor would be appreciated...
Thanks,

I can't see someone being a 20-year SIC here unless that's what that person wanted to do. As you said, predicting upgrade is tough, as it's affected by growth, retirements, etc. But if you wanted a guestimate for someone getting hired this coming Monday, I'd say around 4-5 years.

I think it was me who posted the 20 years on the other board, but I also wrote that is for a class IV or V aircraft if we even have them then. 20 years would probably be pretty fast for an airframe like that for a newhire. A newhire would already have over 2600 guys ahead of them and at least 2/3 of them could very well work here for the next 20 years. There are very few big airplanes here and we don't know what the future will hold for that- but I can't see ever having all that many since all our customers are rich, but there just aren't all that many people who can afford a big airframe versus the smaller airframes on the market.

Latest resources

Back