NetJets Domicile Update 5/25

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A-V-8,
You could find a room for rent for under $600 in either a shared aparment or a house in the LA area if that's what you want to do. You could find a deal on a guest room if your willing to look around. I just moved out of a place for $525 a month. There is a paper called the Recycler (www.recycler.com) that you could check out and find a place to crash.
Check out the San Fernando valley. You could live near Van Nuys and ride the Flyaway to LAX (parking $4 a day, half hour bus service between VNY and LAX $6 roundtrip)
If you are willing to drive, look at the Recycler for rooms and places in Lancaster/Palmdale and the Inland Empire (Riverside, Ontario, Fontana Banning ect). I just moved to Las Vegas. 5 hours by car.

Hope that helps.

Ok, got some new info for those that put PBI down as their domicile choice. Apparently, they will be sending out interview email invites in early August for Sept interview dates to fill October classes. This came straight from Ms. Derinda McKinstry. Looking forward to the fall....

A-V-8 said:
Anyone already out in LAX as a new hire that can shed some advice on this subject.

Personally, I don't see how any new hire could afford to live within a reasonable driving distance to LAX on first year pay alone. Anywhere within a 2 hour drive (a reasonable driving distance, IMO) is going to be cost prohibitive unless you're willing to live in a sh*thole, a shared rental arrangement, or your parent's basement. The Vegas commute might be workable for some, but I consider it way too long of a drive, and dealing with the availability of cheap tickets at SWA would be a major pain in the posterior.

The only reason I can afford it here is because I have a military retirement paycheck, and I've been a homeowner in SoCal for years. Otherwise, there is no way I could afford to live here under what I consider decent living conditions.

A-V-8 said:
Also the Citation X pays more for than other planes right?

Nope. 1st year reserve pay is $46K for everyone. If you get the XL/XLS, I believe you receive differences pay...somewhere around $225 a month more. The only aircraft that pay more are the Class 4 (Falcon EX), and the Class 5 (BBJ)....neither of which you will see for a LONG time.

Good luck.

Amtrak?

The depressing news is that I am still 700 TT away from the min. This is all good info though. What about riding on AMTRAK? Anyone here do that? When I was based in PHL a lot of commuters would do that out of NY when the weather made it impossible to commute.

Last edited:
:eek:
A-V-8 said:
The depressing news is that I am still 700 TT away from the min. This is all good info though. What about riding on AMTRAK? Anyone here do that? When I was based in PHL a lot of commuters would do that out of NY when the weather made it impossible to commute.

You aren't talking about commuting by train to CMH or LAX from NYC are you??

FLYLOW22 said:
:eek:

You aren't talking about commuting by train to CMH or LAX from NYC are you??

No. I didn’t mean to cause confusion. What I meant was is there a possibility of riding on AMTRAK to LAX from somewhere cheaper to live? It was only like $20 from New York to PHL. Does anyone know of somewhere that this might be a possibility?

Bakersfield is 120 +/- miles. Not sure about cost of living. Does Amtrak have a website? Prob a heck of a lot more reliable info than what you'll get from us. :p

A-V-8 said:
No. I didn’t mean to cause confusion. What I meant was is there a possibility of riding on AMTRAK to LAX from somewhere cheaper to live? It was only like $20 from New York to PHL. Does anyone know of somewhere that this might be a possibility?

I feel ya bud. I don't wan't anything but HBAs for all of the new guys. For the short term, sure, play the game if ya want but get ready for a knock down drag out on this in the future.

HBAs for everyone will not cost one nickel to this pilot group.

StarHustler said:
Ok, got some new info for those that put PBI down as their domicile choice. Apparently, they will be sending out interview email invites in early August for Sept interview dates to fill October classes. This came straight from Ms. Derinda McKinstry. Looking forward to the fall....

Good News Star! Thanks for the update!

Yea you got me there but.....

Gwadwerc said:
Bakersfield is 120 +/- miles. Not sure about cost of living. Does Amtrak have a website? Prob a heck of a lot more reliable info than what you'll get from us. :p

Yes. I have been on the website. What I don’t know is where the places that are ideal to live are. I can find a fare but that does me no real good if it is a fare from somewhere that I can’t afford to live anyway. I have only flown into California a few times. I don’t know my way around at all. If the opportunity to work for Net Jets comes my way I would like to have a back up plan for the LAX base. Just fishing for ideas right now. Would like to have a plan if opportunity knocks. Would hate to turn down a seniority number there because I can’t afford to live and get to work.

Latest resources

Back