NetJets Domicile Update 5/25

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heavy Set said:
Opportunities from both CS and NJA and you are deferring... A lot of pilots I know would kill for one of those opportunities. Good luck and let's hope those opportunities exist for you later on if you want them...

Yes, well.....I'm just no longer willing to sell out my family for aviation. We aren't moving again anytime soon, period. Commuting is not an option if I go frac, so that makes the decisions pretty easy. Of course, this is hindering me greatly right now career/money-wise, but I'm trying very hard to make decisions based on the right priorities this time around. I have recall rights to a "better" airline job that requires a commute, but we'll see what happens when that comes around (if I don't get a better gig first, non-aviation included). Genuine thanks for your concern.

BTW, so there's no confusion, I have not even interviewed yet at either place. I deferred CS at the initial call and I am in the "application accepted" group at NJA awaiting an invite.

Maybe someone else is supposed to have those spots, at least for now.

Netjets Recruitment

Here's what I sent them....

To Netjets Recruitment,

Currently I fly for Flight Options and reside in Las Vegas, NV. Relocation is not an option for myself and my wife. I would very much like to be a part of your team as a First Officer but I have been told that you now hire exclusively into your selected domiciles. Is there any chance that you will hire pilots into different domiciles in the near future? I have included a current resume for your review.

I thought the idea was to let recruitment know how many good people they are missing out on because of the new domicile policy in the current contract. I need to stay where I am - in Las Vegas. I can't tell you how many of my friends here at Options tell me the same thing. If they could keep their current domicile they would go to Netjets tomorrow.

I really want work there, but I cannot relocate again due to my wife's employment (and other factors). That is the truth.

Dr. B said:
I thought the idea was to let recruitment know how many good people they are missing out on because of the new domicile policy in the current contract. I need to stay where I am - in Las Vegas. I can't tell you how many of my friends here at Options tell me the same thing. If they could keep their current domicile they would go to Netjets tomorrow.

I really want work there, but I cannot relocate again due to my wife's employment (and other factors). That is the truth.

Unfortunately, in this line of work, there is a lot of sacrifices. I know that the airlines only offer a few bases. Sure they can commute chaeper, but it still is a commute. If you take the LAX base, you can buy tickets on SWA for probably $50, or just make the 4 hour drive. And being that you live in Las Vegas, you can go home when you have the Vegas overnight. Lucky for me, I am no longer commuting, based in LAX.

Best of luck to you, and remember its all about seniority numbers. Get in early.

Ski,
Is that your car I saw in the parking lot with the "Will fly for food" bumper sticker?

Swaay,
Right on! This industry is not worth the "sacrifice". Time to get the word out.

skiandsurf said:
Unfortunately, in this line of work, there is a lot of sacrifices.

How many sacrifices does it take?

Lose of pension?

50% paycuts?

Another failed "recovery plan" that targets the elimination of override pay and trip rig?

"Sure, we'll fly E190's on the same routes we flew DC9s for half the pay!!"

The fact is that NJA management has targeted the VERY personal issue of HBAs as a device that can be used in 3.5 years to effectively divide this pilot group into the haves and have nots so that concessions in pay and/or work rules can be realized as a result of the whipsawing.

I think it's crap. This business has already given enough sacrifice. We've paid our dues... and the only pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is what we make for ourselves as a group.

Now is the time to let the NJA recruitment hear WHY you can't accept employment with us.

It's nothing personal... yet. It's just business, numbers and widgets.

Last edited:
FYI...there are no training contracts at NJA...I would accpet a position depending upon which aircraft they happened to train me in. Perhaps you'll get a free falcon type then you could quit and do contract work:)

Problem with LAX is no one can actually afford on our wages alone to live there. Problem with CMH is three fold..1) you are a at the bee hive and as such will get abused on your first and last days. 2) Cow town has crap weather and thats coming from a seattle based guy. 3) you are at the bee hive and as such will get abused on your first and last days :)

skiandsurf said:
Unfortunately, in this line of work, there is a lot of sacrifices. I know that the airlines only offer a few bases. Sure they can commute chaeper, but it still is a commute. If you take the LAX base, you can buy tickets on SWA for probably $50, or just make the 4 hour drive. And being that you live in Las Vegas, you can go home when you have the Vegas overnight. Lucky for me, I am no longer commuting, based in LAX.

Best of luck to you, and remember its all about seniority numbers. Get in early.

FYI... SoCal-LAS runs about $80 on WN now, off peak. Forget Fri-Sun LAX-LAS at that price. If you have to change your plans, WN won't let you standby for an earlier flight unless you want to pay the walk-up fare. Come to think of it, there are absolute TONS of NJA repo flights between SoCal and LAS. You might be able to catch a ride on that for free.

I'm just a stupid line guy, but if you only have to make that LAS-LAX commute twice a month, and you merely WANT to work at NJA, an LAX domicile would be seriously worth considering... especially with a 7&7 schedule.

O.K. so how much?

So out of ignorance; if I were to accept a job in LAX and only have to go to work twice a month; a long drive would not be so bad. Two hours maybe. What could one expect to pay in rent within a drivable distance from LAX? The internet sites that I have looked at are running like $1200 for studios. That is horrible by my book. Is that what one could expect out in LAX. I for one would be willing to accept a position in LAX but am nervous about the cost of living out west. Anyone already out in LAX as a new hire that can shed some advice on this subject. Also the Citation X pays more for than other planes right? Is that enough to offset the cost of living.

Latest resources

Back