Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets' Captains need to get over themselves!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the NJ captain that woke me up while sleeping in KROC..Thanks..

He had to tell the everyone, me sleeping and his co-pilot, about his stocks, apartments and how he couldn't find CNBC..

I want my 4 crew meals someday...

GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF NETJETS...

A little cheese with that whine???????

You knew this thread wouldn't die. My question goes out to Porter...

Is the captain of that USAir flight a dick for flying that leg? I wonder if the FO was as pissed off at him as you are with us captains for taking that leg...

It's the safety culture at US Airways for the most suitable pilot (in the opinion of the CA) to fly the emergency.

For a scenario that involved straight and level with many checklist items being executed with switches and push buttons on the left side, you'd see the F/O would have flown.

Apples and Oranges to the NJ Captain flying Owners arguments which are based on Owner comfort derived from pilot "polish" in manipulating the controls with experience and confidence as compared to a first time attempt at an approach to a tricky airport.

Great job Sully!

Wouldn't the F/O's screens lost power with the double engine failure? That would dictate that the Captain would have to fly as he'd be the only one with flight instruments.

According to the NTSB briefing, it was the F/O's leg and the Captain took control when the engines quit.

Wouldn't the F/O's screens lost power with the double engine failure? That would dictate that the Captain would have to fly as he'd be the only one with flight instruments.

According to the NTSB briefing, it was the F/O's leg and the Captain took control when the engines quit.

Nothing indicates YET that electrical power was interrupted by the engines (APU on?) shutting down.

A320-wise though, you are correct about the load shedding qualities of the right side PFD, etc during electrical failures.

This came down to judgment from a trained, seasoned and experienced professional who was faced with some of the following questions in about a 90 second period.

**The following is a dramatization for illustration purposes only...**

Heads down monitoring and BOOM!

What's happening?

What happened?

Where are we?

The engines are spinning down.

We're not climbing.

I'm going to take the controls.

Pitch up to maintain altitude. Look for options in the cockpit and outside.

Get the F/O on the checklist/memory items. (I don't recall any for a dual power plant failure in an A320 when I flew it).

Where are we going?

We're going down.

Can we restart the motors?

What's my airspeed?

Can we make it to LGA/TEB?

I'd rather ditch in the Hudson than land at TEB. (Can't blame Sully for that!!)

Should we try for an airport at all?

To ditch or not?

How's that checklist coming?

Ditch it is? What configuration for gear/flaps?

Where's the GW bridge? Boats?

Man, this feels weird.... fast. Not enough drag.

What's the wind direction?

Announce the "Brace" sign.

Aim for the left bank/right bank?

How's my speed?

Too many variables....

<<<< Wouldn't the F/O's screens lost power with the double engine failure? >>>>

There was something earlier on this thread (or maybe one of the other aviation forums) that suggested that due to de-icing prior to departure, they might have done a bleeds-off take-off, with the APU running.

This may have meant a different electrical set-up (APU gen on-line?) so all screens could have been powered? Last 'Bus I flew was the A300 B4, so waaay out of date there! However, if the media reports are correct & the FO only had 35 hrs on type (regardless of his previous extensive experience), probably the best option was taken! ;)

Regardless, a superb job by both pilots & all the FAs! :cool:

HEY!!!!

This is about dickhead pilots who don't let their first officers perform water landings!!! Do you mind NOT hijacking this thread please???? God!!!

It was... "Satan's Air Force".

You are correct sir. Ten years later and people still remember that letter to the editor in B/CA. The writer should be proud.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back