Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets' Captains need to get over themselves!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
bump bump bummp

I never listen to the voices in my head.

Wow...Thanks, this just took me 40 minutes to read while on a 2:50 productivity sit in LAX. Very entertaining! My views changed from side to side a few times and here's my $0.02 (not that anyone cares, but it will 'bump' this yet once again!

Porters intro I thought was full of sarcasm. I took the Gold Seal thing as a joke, but I've heard that jumping through those hoops is a pain in the ass. As far a "go be an instructor..." I've seen far less great instructors than just average instructors - Are they there to teach or make the IOE override?

As far as letting a new guy fly w/ pax....I think this is a culture thing. On the airline side a new capt will let a new f/o he's never flown with fly a leg to a dest w/ crappy wx down to min's and ice on the runway without ever asking "how long you been here?" But on the corp/charter side, if you are paired w/ someone you've never flown with there is close to NO chance that you'll let the 'new' guy fly until you've seen him fly on an empty leg. Aftet that I have no probs swapping legs until it comes back to the bad wx situation. I know - double standard - but when acting as the capt you're thinking about your ticket, and when in the right seat it's all about when do I get to fly. Kind of funny if you think about it eh?

I do think that there is a bias on the non-airline side of things when it comes to hiring and training. Once furloughed from NWA back in 02' I hit ever flt dept on every airport near me and the result was about the same. "No thanks, you airline guys can't do what we charter/fractional/corp Dept's do....You're too ridgid...Sorry." Over and over the same thing. I was even hired at NJA and then called back and told that I needed to go and get more 'quality' time because the training mngr thought I would have a problem in training. HUH....What? 8000 Hrs, no training failures, two airline types and an FE at a major....WTF. Oh well - I went on to fly 737's. No prob's in that training, but there's my point. A fractional training manager though that because I hadn't flown in a few years that I would have problems passing his program. Still makes me laugh.

As for paying your dues....Get over your 'fat paycheck' selves. There must be a learning curve as how to do it the NJA/CS/Flex way....but come on....it's just a job.

Swapping legs: Another strange thing for me. When I took my 1st 135 job post furlough the training capt put me right into the left seat of a Lr-55 and said lets rip. In hindsite I should have said no, but it had been 4 years since I flew anything w/ power and I went for it. What a BLAST! But as the job continued I think the only leg I flew in the rt was w/out pax. Not even the f/o checkride was in the rt seat. I finally had to say that I just wanted to fly in the seat I was hired for until the time to upgrade came. Maybe it's an airline thing, but I don't personally care for swapping seats. I would think that if a problem were to ever occur that seat swapping would be noted as a contributing factor to the accident. Again - just my $0.02.

That's it for now...been great reading about how your side is living. Great to see some of the names that I used PM and chat w/. Enjoy the good life on the Frac side - the airline side is not doing so well. But I do enjoy keeping my hand in the 135 as a contract guy.

Oh yeah...I give my personal permission for Porter to post 'her' feelings as to how this topic has come out. "You're free to post around the cabin - DING."

Baja.

Wow...

Baja.

Baja, welcome back to the fight.

All very good points. I will add a couple.

Before I was ever paid to fly a corporate type plane, I did get to fly a Lear 35 and a CJ1, with a friend of mine. Oddly enough, both times I flew from the left seat. As I have said, corporate planes are flown from the left seat (and crashed from the left seat as well).

As far as the thread title "Netjets Captains need to get over themselves!", I just finished a trip with a great guy, but he sure likes to talk about himself, brags about how much he knows about this town and then gets lost with the crew car and I have to tell him where to go...."yeah, I have been here too, but you wont listen to me".

And the icing on the cake, brag about how much money he's making, and then rarely leave a tip.

Wow...Thanks, this just took me 40 minutes to read while on a 2:50 productivity sit in LAX. Very entertaining! My views changed from side to side a few times and here's my $0.02 (not that anyone cares, but it will 'bump' this yet once again!

Porters intro I thought was full of sarcasm. I took the Gold Seal thing as a joke, but I've heard that jumping through those hoops is a pain in the ass. As far a "go be an instructor..." I've seen far less great instructors than just average instructors - Are they there to teach or make the IOE override?

As far as letting a new guy fly w/ pax....I think this is a culture thing. On the airline side a new capt will let a new f/o he's never flown with fly a leg to a dest w/ crappy wx down to min's and ice on the runway without ever asking "how long you been here?" But on the corp/charter side, if you are paired w/ someone you've never flown with there is close to NO chance that you'll let the 'new' guy fly until you've seen him fly on an empty leg. Aftet that I have no probs swapping legs until it comes back to the bad wx situation. I know - double standard - but when acting as the capt you're thinking about your ticket, and when in the right seat it's all about when do I get to fly. Kind of funny if you think about it eh?

I do think that there is a bias on the non-airline side of things when it comes to hiring and training. Once furloughed from NWA back in 02' I hit ever flt dept on every airport near me and the result was about the same. "No thanks, you airline guys can't do what we charter/fractional/corp Dept's do....You're too ridgid...Sorry." Over and over the same thing. I was even hired at NJA and then called back and told that I needed to go and get more 'quality' time because the training mngr thought I would have a problem in training. HUH....What? 8000 Hrs, no training failures, two airline types and an FE at a major....WTF. Oh well - I went on to fly 737's. No prob's in that training, but there's my point. A fractional training manager though that because I hadn't flown in a few years that I would have problems passing his program. Still makes me laugh.

As for paying your dues....Get over your 'fat paycheck' selves. There must be a learning curve as how to do it the NJA/CS/Flex way....but come on....it's just a job.

Swapping legs: Another strange thing for me. When I took my 1st 135 job post furlough the training capt put me right into the left seat of a Lr-55 and said lets rip. In hindsite I should have said no, but it had been 4 years since I flew anything w/ power and I went for it. What a BLAST! But as the job continued I think the only leg I flew in the rt was w/out pax. Not even the f/o checkride was in the rt seat. I finally had to say that I just wanted to fly in the seat I was hired for until the time to upgrade came. Maybe it's an airline thing, but I don't personally care for swapping seats. I would think that if a problem were to ever occur that seat swapping would be noted as a contributing factor to the accident. Again - just my $0.02.

That's it for now...been great reading about how your side is living. Great to see some of the names that I used PM and chat w/. Enjoy the good life on the Frac side - the airline side is not doing so well. But I do enjoy keeping my hand in the 135 as a contract guy.

Oh yeah...I give my personal permission for Porter to post 'her' feelings as to how this topic has come out. "You're free to post around the cabin - DING."

Baja.

Good post Baja. It's well thought out and well written.

Happy New Year guys and gals!

Hold on there bro;

sThere must be a learning curve as how to do it the NJA/CS/Flex way....but come on....it's just a job.

Baja.

Don't drag us into this mess. No problem over this side of the fence.
I have flown every other leg right out of IOE. Sometime more than my share.

Hung

As far as letting a new guy fly w/ pax....I think this is a culture thing. On the airline side a new capt will let a new f/o he's never flown with fly a leg to a dest w/ crappy wx down to min's and ice on the runway without ever asking "how long you been here?" But on the corp/charter side, if you are paired w/ someone you've never flown with there is close to NO chance that you'll let the 'new' guy fly until you've seen him fly on an empty leg.

Baja.

That's because you airline guys don't care if the folks in back get sick......;) I keeed, I keeed.

Hope you're well Baja...waiting for the AK buyout announcement no doubt. Merry New Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back