• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets Application/Interview ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just spoke w/my husband about the interview process. 3 pilots conducted the interview for the company; pilots choosing the ones they want to fly with is a common thing. They are the ones who misrepresented the case. Who fed them their info? We don't know. Certainly the failed MEC are on record as promising "Kick-Ass" pay to all the pilots many times. The whole experience has left these guys bitter and disappointed, but there is no basis for a lawsuit, according to my husband. He does not know if the others hired recently had a different experience--meaning received promises from management.

I've seen discussions among the NJ pilots about who should choose the interview pilots--the company or the Union. Pilots were upset at the things new hires were told during the interview. Some of them post here as a way to give those interested in working there the real picture to balance the one they are shown at their interview. I have exchanged emails w/some of those pilots who chose to take the job, in the end. I think I'll drop them a line and ask what their interview was like. I have the impression that those promises are no longer being made. You now have me curious, as to what exactly they ARE being told.

My husband leaves tomorrow for 5 days and is working hard just like many others. He is coming up on 1000 hrs of flight time in just under 2yrs in the Excel. That is only NJ flying, and is considered a lot in a short time. Fatigue is a concern that is discussed by the pilots. I bet the public would be shocked to learn that the limits for truckers on driving are lower than the one for pilots flying.

The NetJets story is an unfolding one that is still being "written" by the pilots in their struggle for a fair contract. Opinions of being "sold out" by past leadership are heard often from pilots and family members alike. The Teamsters have a questionable track record, as some are quick to point out. I do think there is a story here, but it's just probably in the early chapters right now. It is definitely too soon to say how it will turn out. My husband has suggested that you might want to talk to the StrongUnion public relations person. If you are interested, send me a PM w/your contact information and we'll pass it along for you. There is a lot more to the story than is shared on this board.

Netjetwife--just one of many, sharing an opinion all my own.

Bill Gates may well have started as a computer guy..:)...but he is known more as a business entrepreneur--albeit in the computer industry--these days, is he not? I wonder how much HIS pilot gets paid? You know those NJA pilots also fly Fortune 500 types...high rollers in corporations, the wealthy and famous. Several names of people that my husband has flown come to mind. On his last tour, he had a flight that cost his 2 passengers more than he made for the entire year!

Netjetwife-

While I appreciate your support for your husband on this message board it might not be the best thing to air some of our companies dirty laundry out. The company can come back at you for slander against them. Other companies have come after employees who post information about them on message boards.

on another note.
We fly wealthy people around. They got to where they are by being very good at what they do. I'm not going to be angry because their flight's cost them more than my pay in a year. They are the ones paying my bills. My beef is with the company not them. I'm providing a customer service. That's my job.

Diesel, I certainly didn't mean ANY disrespect towards the owners. In fact, by linking them to successful people--Fortune 500 types--I felt that I was actually doing a bit of bragging/name dropping, without mentioning names, of course. I realize, full well, that they pay the bills. But, I also think that some of them might be unhappy to hear how badly THEIR pilots are being paid by the company that collects the monthly fees that cover the wages they are led to believe are satisfactory. Should facts like that come out, the company will have only itself to blame if they wind up looking bad in the court of public opinion.

There is a long list of workers that make more than some of the NJ pilots. I don't say they are OVERpaid; just that clearly, many pilots (not just at NJA) are being UNDER paid. Likewise, I have NO problem with the owners of the planes, OR the prices of the flights--luxury isn't cheap--like you, my beef is with the company.

What dirty laundry? What slander? Many of the pilots on this board have already discussed the problem of low pay at NJA--that is nothing new, nor is it untrue. If the company is concerned about what is being said about them, they can and should change their way of doing business. Thanks for your concern, Diesel, but I'm going to stand by my post, all the same...:)

I think I'd keep my union affiliation and activities pretty low key in front of my passengers. Unless they're entertainers, I doubt that very many of them got to where they are by embracing a union mentality. If they do have any experience with unions it has probably been an adversarial one where they were representing management. Owners, like all consumers, have choices in the marketplace. I would want to keep 'em happy rather than concerned about the reliability of their transportation due to a possible work action.

I interviewed another union wife recently and this is what she told me:
She likes that her husband works for a union for two reasons:
Health benefits and job security.
They have paid their dues and he has senority. She feels like the union does a great job representing them for health benefits.
The only drawback she was able to identify is that it is difficult for people to get fired and sometimes her husband has to work with people who dont do their job well and it is frustrating to him.

NJW- The talk on the board, since your offer, seems to be do not talk-
I will pass on your suggestion to speak with "official union PR". I would not want to jeopardize your standing.

I am sensing you are upset that your husband flies the rich and famous all day and you are not "flying in the same circles." so to speak.

thanks

FAcFriend said:
I am sensing you are upset that your husband flies the rich and famous all day and you are not "flying in the same circles." so to speak.
For a supposed "writer", you're a pretty dense guy. What she's upset about is that her husband flys these folks around and without a second source of income, she and her husband could qualify for food stamps. We're not looking for parity with the owners, we just want to make a fair wage for our efforts. NetJets can afford it. The owners will pay it. Now run along, little management toady.

FAcFriend said:
NJW- The talk on the board, since your offer, seems to be do not talk-
I will pass on your suggestion to speak with "official union PR". I would not want to jeopardize your standing.
Her "standing"? She couldn't care less about her standing because it involves "other people" and their opinion. Noodgejetwifey is so self centered that "other people" do not play a part in that equation.

FAcFriend said:
BINGO!!

Les Paul

Reading me wrong

FAcFriend, I'm not sure where you got that opinion, but it isn't accurate at all. I'm quite satisfied w/my life, as far as the social circles we travel in. All very normal midde-class activities, I assure you, centered on family and home. Starman, understands the problem, no doubt because he shares it. We have no jealousy of the passengers; my husband shares the highlights of his flights and then we move on to other things. The huge disparity that makes us angry at the situation--labor/management conflict--- has nothing to do with the passengers. My family aspires to have the lifestyle of a professional, NOT of the rich and famous. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding, you and others, have.

Union advantages--I'd rate job security high on the list. Many companies provide good health benefits these days. I've heard complaints of not being able to get rid of poor performers, before. But those were in other fields. Pilots see that much less due to the checkrides and training---every 6 months at NetJets.

My husband made the offer to put you in touch w/Union PR pilots--I merely passed it along. He's a sharp guy; I trust his judgement. A PM would set things in motion and have no affect on my posting here at all. It is a standing invitation, available anytime, should you change your mind.

NJW
I meant no offense and will temper my veiled attempts at aviation humor.

I have found most companies do not offer decent med plans today- higher costs, higher copays, HMO's, etc. Hence the other wife (admittedly not aviation) loves her health plan. She does live in a professional neighborhood, as yourself and is a union wife.

Further, Anne did explain there is a company cost to the job security issue and may effect why salary is so low and overtime available. In times of slow down instead of laying off, the company cuts overtime and everyone bears the burden. Most professionals (lawyers, drs., etc) do work more than the standard 40 hour weeks but are not paid OT. Salesmen travel 5 days a week and are not paid OT. They do not have the same job security. They do have a higher base salary. Again the trade off- Anne prefers the job security and OT pay when times are good.

I am interested in this open hositility of the union management relationship- I had the idea unions were outdated with our present federal oversight of work rules. Do all of you think management holds the same disdain for your union? Do all of you consider all employees who are non union to be management?

Latest resources

Back