• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Netjets Ad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You went through the trouble and expense of obtaining an MBA but you'd rather not do that "crap?"

Might make some sense. I knew a few Alpha model 58 guys back in the day and a lot of them seemed willing to do just about anything to get out of that pig :)

Scout's out and if you ain't Cav - well, you know the rest.

Yes, I know the rest! Air Cav, Air mobile young Captain!

I left the Army for the sole reason of flying heavies in the USAF so I could get an airline gig. Corporate never entered my mind.

Unfortunately, an interview with AA scheduled for late Sept 2001 didn't happen for obvious reasons. Stop loss followed and I ended up doing a bit over 21 years.

That being said and G550 $ is great but I do miss flying helicopters. My youngest son is going to try the warrant track after doing a couple of years as a Blackhawks or Chinook wrench turner. He is 17 now, so plenty of time for flight school.

What is the prevailing opinion about how long a NJA hiree would have to wait to upgrade to captain?

My guess is at least 10 years.

Seniority number of the first new hire will be about 2600. Upgrade line will be about 1600 ie 60/40 split of pic/sic with some credit given for SICs that don't want to upgrade. Then a generous 100 new pic upgrades per year.

I think this is optimistic and subject to change for the better or worse.

Large population of forty something's are Captains. (It's the largest demographic). No mandatory retirement age. Shrinking number of airframes. When times were good about a 1.5 percent per year of pilot turn over. I don't know what it is now, but it has increased. (Mostly FO's bailing for better opportunities). Captains currently overstaffed by approximately 400ish based on a sixty/forty percentage split. Please feel free to update my information. I'm not as current as I used to be.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back