• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets 2nd Qtr Earnings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Type ratings don't "spoil." I haven't touched a Hawker in 13 years but I could be current and legal in 3-4 days.

Type ratings are only good for a certain period of time. They are not something that you can use forever. I can't remember the exact time but I want to say its some where around 36 months. Its in the FAR's.

At some point if you haven't flown you actually have to go back and re do a complete initial training course if you want to be a pic in that type of aircraft again.

your thinking of the recent experience requirements in part 61. Type rating don't ever expire, but you can lose currency, even to fly part 91 you have to have a PIC check, which is basically a sim rec.

your thinking of the recent experience requirements in part 61. Type rating don't ever expire, but you can lose currency, even to fly part 91 you have to have a PIC check, which is basically a sim rec.
Broke,

You're on flightinfo.com. "Lose" is spelled "loose" here... You know better than that!!!:laugh:

Exactly.

With the insurance requirements today you will be doing a full initial again after a certain time away from an aircraft. I know several people that didn't fly an airplane for years and then tried to go to FSI for a recurrent. FSI says no way you have to do an inital all over again.

Its a common misconception that a type rating is good forever.

ya know what guys?

ive been around long enuff.....let me mis spell some ******************** and you all love it ok?:)

anyways, like I said, your type dont expire but you can fall out of currency, go read part 61 that refers to PIC checks on airplanes that require a type rating. that will explain it all.

Last edited:

It is good forever, unless surrendered or revoked. It's the currency that is not "good forever". Subtle difference, i know, but that's the way it is.

Last edited:
Exactly.

With the insurance requirements today you will be doing a full initial again after a certain time away from an aircraft. I know several people that didn't fly an airplane for years and then tried to go to FSI for a recurrent. FSI says no way you have to do an inital all over again.

What's "certain time"? I know 2 guys, who were out of GV's for 5+ years, went to SimuFlite GV Recurrent, and left with fresh 61.58 PIC checks.

a type is a type,it is forever,certain companies may require initial again after a certain period of time,but you dont lose the type ,it never expires.

I sometimes wish I could email RTS directly and personally thank him for destroying my otherwise successful career. I think t would go something like this:

Dear Rich,

YOU SUCK.

Respectfully,

300 of 495

Maybe not eloquent, but direct and to the point. I can't see a recall happening anytime soon, and a recall to my number, is even less likely. I feel bad for the guys on the road, especially those that are carrying the weight for the ones STILL getting showed at home. Funny how somethings never change.

Latest resources

Back