• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets 2nd Qtr Earnings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I sometimes wish I could email RTS directly and personally thank him for destroying my otherwise successful career. I think t would go something like this:

Dear Rich,

YOU SUCK.

Respectfully,

300 of 495

Maybe not eloquent, but direct and to the point. I can't see a recall happening anytime soon, and a recall to my number, is even less likely. I feel bad for the guys on the road, especially those that are carrying the weight for the ones STILL getting showed at home. Funny how somethings never change.

Do you know anything about the principles of accounting. Also known as GAAP ??

a type is a type,it is forever,certain companies may require initial again after a certain period of time,but you dont lose the type ,it never expires.

1. Its normally the insurance requirements that are the most strict in todays world.

2. If you have the type but you are not current the type will do you no good. It doesn't matter whats written on the pilot certificate that you have.

3. FSI and Simuflight will not let you take a simple recurrent depending on how long you have been out of that type of aircraft. They will make you do a complete initial course.

4. The whole point is this: don't expect a potential employer to consider the type rating you have if you are not current in type.

1. Its normally the insurance requirements that are the most strict in todays world. A lot of flight departments have what is known as "open pilot warranty" on their insurance which means they can hire or contract anyone who meets certain requirements, a type rating (of any age) usually being one of them.

2. If you have the type but you are not current the type will do you no good. It doesn't matter whats written on the pilot certificate that you have. If you have a current instrument proficiency check and landing currency in the same category and class as the type rating in question, you can act as SIC under Part 91. For instance, say a pilot hadn't touched a G-IV in over three years. Let's say that same pilot was PIC current in the G-V. That pilot would be perfectly legal to act as SIC under Part 91 in a G-IV because of the G-IV type rating printed on their certificate.

3. FSI and Simuflight will not let you take a simple recurrent depending on how long you have been out of that type of aircraft. They will make you do a complete initial course. Patently incorrect. I haven't touched a Hawker in 14 years but I could be PIC current at FSI or Simuflight in 5 days or less. Call them and ask.

4. The whole point is this: don't expect a potential employer to consider the type rating you have if you are not current in type. If you are typed and experienced in the airframe a company operates, and current in SOMETHING, you'll get a look.

You've never run a flight department before, have you Raj?

You've never run a flight department before, have you Raj?

Please call FSI or Simuflight and ask them! No way in hell they will let you do a recurrent if you haven't flown the plane in 14 years.

Things have changed. The flight training companies will not let you do that now. I don't necessarily agree with this but unfortunately it is the case.

I think that pilots get ripped off because of this.

Last edited:
Does any of this really matter?

When was the last time was this relevant to any of us?
What is the point?

You won't be "qualified" unless you meet the insurance requirements. Try and trick them..they will void the insurance if you don't meet the terms of the policy. You want to take the risk?

You can argue all you want about the FARs, but the business end of the stick is what matters.

No way in hell they will let you do a recurrent if you haven't flown the plane in 14 years.

you are incorrect.

Lets say... Gut was typed in the Lear 35 in 1989 and last flew it in 1993, BUT!!!! has been actively flying a similar or larger jet aircraft since he last flew the Lear 35, Flight Safety would let him do a Lear 35 recurrent as fast as they could swipe his credit card. Passport, Background check, drivers license and a pilot license.... you're in class.

I've called many times to check on prices to fly the C-441 again.... The gals in Wichita always say.... "Come on down".

Don't confuse training and proficiency companies with insurance companies. One says you are legal to fly the plane, the other says we'll insure you if you do.

Does any of this really matter?

When was the last time was this relevant to any of us?
What is the point?

You won't be "qualified" unless you meet the insurance requirements. Try and trick them..they will void the insurance if you don't meet the terms of the policy. You want to take the risk?

You can argue all you want about the FARs, but the business end of the stick is what matters.

Its not relevant unless you are looking for a job and the management at the company knows the facts about recurrent training. Its something that most people don't understand (as proved by the replies here).

you are incorrect.

Lets say... Gut was typed in the Lear 35 in 1989 and last flew it in 1993, BUT!!!! has been actively flying a similar or larger jet aircraft since he last flew the Lear 35, Flight Safety would let him do a Lear 35 recurrent as fast as they could swipe his credit card. Passport, Background check, drivers license and a pilot license.... you're in class.

I've called many times to check on prices to fly the C-441 again.... The gals in Wichita always say.... "Come on down".

Don't confuse training and proficiency companies with insurance companies. One says you are legal to fly the plane, the other says we'll insure you if you do.

I don't believe a type rating is required for a Cessna 441. You only need a multi engine rating to fly it. Again the insurance requirements would be the only issue you would have with this particular aircraft.

Last edited:
you are incorrect.

You're right Wolfie...except for one thing: I wouldn't be caught dead in a Lear....bwahahaha. Kidding people. Kidding. FSI would swipe my card for that Hawker recurrent in a heartbeat, spit me out of Houston in 4-5 days, and I could be flying contract by the end of the week. Gulfstream contract work pays WAY better though...

Latest resources

Back