Negatives to JetBlue?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dear Mister Aviation,

I have been everywhere, done everything. JetBlue is the best place I have been. Bite me.

Sincerely,

Freddie

Wow, talk about a thread hijacked by cynacism. Actually there are some of us out here that would actually like to know about the down side of jetblue. Even though it seems to be a great place to work there HAS TO BE A Downside somewhere of some fashion. I am just looking to gain a little insight into the inner ops.

I guess I wouldn't like the fact that NeedleDick has sold off EVERY business he ever started after he was able to line his own pockets..

Well that and the Cap'n Goodwrench shirts. ;)

<<Even though it seems to be a great place to work there HAS TO BE A Downside somewhere of some fashion.>>

In my experience there are generally two types of pilots to fly with. Those that HAVE to find the downside, and those that are able to focus on the upside.

The first group makes for a much more enjoyable trip.

We will never be perfect, but we won't stop trying.
murk

Needledick!

Well it looks like indapool hasn't got laid in a good long while. The building internal pressure is obviously affecting his ability to perform rational and coherent internet discourse. :D

I'll see your bite me, and raise you an Inda-ass. While we're on the subject of total jerkoffs...

Since no jb moron had the balls to answer the mans question which is the only point I was trying to make, I will have to try. There is an employment contract you must sign as a condition of employment. It means you are an employee until the contract is up (5 years) at which time if neither party does anything it automatically renews for another 5 years. The contract stipulates pay rates of $72/hr for captains and $36/hr for fo's. (Currently paying more but not obligated to, which means if tomorrow they decide that is what they want to pay you that what you will get.) Don't know all the specifics since the pilots were either too stupid to read it or too embarrassed to admit some of the other more onerous aspects. I am certain there are a myriad of behaviors which will warrant you immediate dismissal like trying to organize. So forget about a union should you ever decide to contest any policy the management wishes to implement (the current "benevolent" group or any future bunch) because at the very least your contract will be allowed to lapse and not renewed ensuring there will be no rabble rousers on the property.

Another interesting aspect of the pilot group is their attempt to get a waiver for jb to exceed the 8 hours of flying in 24 rule so that they can fly Long Beach turns. I guess thats great for them. They can fly really long days and diminish the safety margin so they can make a few extra bucks and set a precedent for all the other airlines to point to when trying to push their pilots productivity beyond the already marginal rules currently in place.

I am sure there are others but I am getting disgusted with the whole bunch and don't feel like dwelling on it any more. Incidentally, I have never been a finger pointer with regards to any other company (though I do have reservations about a few of the crappier commuter operations) lowering the bar. The business is the way it is and competition will create trying times for every company at some point. But the incompetence, negligence or outright malice shown by jb pilots has inspired my first gesture in their direction.

yaks,

As a JB pilot I totally agree with you about extending the 8 hr rule. I think its a dumb idea but that is only my opinon. I also agree with you on the 5 yr contract. Basically when it is up the company can get rid of you for any reason they see fit. I can guarantee you though if they do start letting people go there will be a union in here very fast. I would like to think our mgmt. is above that though. Believe me, JB has some issues but I hope it gets worked out. And no, I dont drink every bit of coolaid mgmt. feeds us unlike some of my counterparts.

Quoted by Yaks:

But the incompetence, negligence or outright malice shown by jb pilots has inspired my first gesture in their direction.

What are your examples of incompetence, negligence or outright malice? Your post mentioned none of the above.

In answer to the original question. Almost to a person, we all seem to be quite content. Like any organization, there are exceptions.

I have run into an occasional (very occasional) fellow JetBlue employee who was not exhibiting all of what we call the "JetBlue values".

As an example, on a recent flight, prior to boarding, I witnessed a gate agent berating two new flight attendants about a boarding procedures issue, when actually the flight attendants had not done anything wrong. These sort of things are by far the extreme exception. Maybe that agent was having a bad day, or maybe he was truly a jerk? I don't know.

So, to answer your question, every now and then, I come across a person who may make my day a bit less pleasant. Perhaps that person shouldn't be at JetBlue? We really try to catch these people at the interview.

In all honesty, that is my biggest complaint about JetBlue. There are -- like any organization -- a hand full of people who probably don't belong, or at least need to work on their "people skills" (and to be honest, that includes a couple of middle managers in various departments). However, 99.9% of the people here are top-notch -- and that includes all the senior management, in my experience.

As far as work rules and pay, I think it is pretty darn good. By the end of this year (my second year), I will be earning more than I made in my third year at my last company (a major airline with -- at the time -- near industry leading pay).

Sorry, yaks. After working at a company where everyone hated the management, it is a breath of fresh air for me to be somewhere upbeat and positive. It fits me. If it doesn't fit you, then it is a good thing you are not here.

Potrack, I hope this gives you some of the perspective for which you are looking.

Latest resources

Back