• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Negatives to JetBlue?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only problem I have with JB or any of the LCC's is this. Ever since I was a youngster, I knew I was going to be an Airline pilot flying heavy iron internationally. But because of the downward pressure the LCC's have put on prices and wages, that dream is now just a pipedream. It will never happen. The growth in the furture will be narrowbody domestic. The legacy carriers will not be growing much and thereby limiting ones ability to reach a widebody and fly international. Wages will never be similiar to pre 9/11 United, or current Delta. Deltas contract will be pillaged soon.

It's like the old story about the "mom and pop" hardware store. They always had a good business and plenty of customers and revenue. But then the Home depot moved to town and everybody flocked there for the lower prices. Its not like the people were not willing to pay "mom and pops" prices, but when cheaper came, they went!!

Anyway, this is just my little story of shattered boyhood dreams and the disapointment I have in what the future is going to offer me. I guess the bottom line is that I'd rather fly for a living with JB, SWA, AirTran or even a Regional if thats as far as I get, than not to fly at all.
BTW, there is an article on JB in the May issue of Fast Company.

Sorry to hear about your shattered boyhood dream.

Wait, I just heard that World is hiring! Now you can live the dream! Go fly that heavy!

I love a happy ending.

pipejockey said:
Anyway, this is just my little story of shattered boyhood dreams and the disapointment I have in what the future is going to offer me.

Change careers before you get to far then. You will never be happy in aviation. BTW it is not the simple Home Depot analogy you profess to hang dear to, but rather a J C Penneys vs Target story. People used to shop at Penneys but before long they found some of the same items at Target and at a better price. The staff at Penneys seemed miffed when you asked them a question whereas the Target staff was attentive and helpful. With market share going away Penneys tried reinventing themselves as the hipper new place to shop. People didn't buy it and continued to shop at Target. Meanwhile the industry saw the downfall of Montgomery Wards and the bankruptcy of KMart. The workers in retail should heed the warnings of the past and not forget that people always vote with their feet. 75% off of crap, is still crap. It is not always about price, sometimes it is just about meeting expectations. The ones that do it the best will be there along time, fail, and you're looking at a new job.

So what are some of the drawbacks working for JetBlue?

I guess low pay, no union, bad work rules, the usual things that people don't like about everyone....right?

Any reason for the sarcasm? I was simply giving an honest answer to the thread starters question. I guess I should have stated the "dream" was a legacy carrier. Not Atlas, World, Polar etc.

But like I said, I would rather fly than do anything else. Its just very disappointing to spend an inordinate amount of money on your formal education and flight training, and just when your done with it, the career you were expecting vanishes into thin air.

If LCC's are your thing, great! Why is it so hard for some people to accept the fact that some pilots may not strive to fly for a LCC. To each his own! I would venture to guess that 90% of the pilots out there would take a job with UA, AA, DL, over JB, SWA, AirTran if given the choice prior to 9/11.

yaks said:
Why not answer the mans question as it is a legitimate one. Tell him about the employment contract for crappy pay and no chance to have a union to stand up to management buffoonery when it happens (and it will happen). Tell him about the movement to trash the FAR flight time limitations so you can fall asleep at the wheel to make a few extra bucks. There is much to be ashamed of at many airlines but most people are up front about it.

Yaaawn . . . I'm sorry, yaks, were you talking? I couldn't hear, too busy doing my part to lower the profession. Gotta get back to it . . .

potrack said:
Pipejockey,

I agree with your last post

Thanks potrack.

Canyonblue,
I like your quote! It describes me in a way. I feel I did have one shot, one oppurtunity to seize everything I ever wanted. It was in the year 2000 I decided to go all out and capture it! I didn't want to let it slip. But as I finished my training the career I had my sights on vanished. I hope you can at least understand why I am jaded, even if you don't agree. And as far as finding another career, like I said, I would rather fly a regional until 60 than do anything else. Its just not what I had expected. I'll make it work though.

I interviewed at UAL and AMR, I also had an interview lined up for NWA-- I got hired by AMR in May 2001, elected not to join the 400+ pool at UAL and not to attend the NWA interview... I took a long, hard look at JBLU and was quite impressed. Now, 3 years later I count my lucky stars. The company is not perfect, far from it, but you know what, I enjoy going to work and the people here are great! Sometimes, that's just worth more than what appears in your paycheck.

Latest resources

Back