• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Navy Pilots Who Rescued Victims Are Reprimanded

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"I think its pathetic what is going on out there. I think those poor people were intentionally left to die out there."

Can you please explain this comment island hopper. Who do you think intentionally left "them" out there to die? And if that were anyone's intention, why did we go into the largest rescue operation the world has ever seen and risk our lives to save "them"? Wouldn't we have just left "them" there?" By the way, who is them?

Last edited:
lets not turn this thread into one of those please... start a new one... this should be reserved for BZ's for Matt and company...

MudKow,

What were you thinking? Didn't you know it wasn't your mission to save those people? Those weren't your orders! Were you not worried about your fitrep, and your DH screen that must be coming up? You could have made your CO look bad!!!

You clearly are not the kind of officer the navy is looking to promote.

Whidbey

sandman2122 said:
Darn right those crews did the right thing!

It's jerk Commanders like that is why I left active duty service.

Officers are not robots: they look at the situation, assess, and make their best call. YOU did that. Well done, gents. I salute your ability to make decision in this day of an "indecisive management".

udkow,

awesome job! i want to thank you and your crew for doing what your CDR lacks the spine to do. you have the big picture in mind. it seems your CDR only has his ego in mind, not lives. you and your crew are a credit to the navy.

please PM me if you ever are going to find yourself in HNL. your glass will never empty and the drinks are on me. it would be an honor to have a beer with you.

keep up the good work. things are certain to work out for you, inspite of your shortsighted CDR.

General Colin Powell had a good saying to lead by...

The frontline is always right, and the rear echelon is always wrong until proven otherwise...

But don't forget the Navy saying: "It's always easier to get forgiveness than permission."

Hey are you sure your CDR isn't an NFO?

More Praise from the Media

In the Corpus Christi Caller Times this morning:

"Give ROSES to Shand and Udkow for their work and THORNS to the brass for a hide-bound attitude."

Again, nice job guys!
VVJM265

This is from today's (9-9-05) issue of aero-news.net:

The Navy now says there was no reprimand and both Shand and Udkow have continued to fly.

"Since then, Lt. Shand and Lt. Udkow have flown eight missions in New Orleans, saved 30 people and delivered 30,000 pounds of supplies," NAS Pensacola spokesman Patrick Nichols told the Pensacola News Journal. That's a big step up for Udkow. Immediately after the incident with Commander Hodener, he was reassigned, overseeing a kennel housing the pets of base personnel forced to evacuate in the face of the storm.

FMI: www.naspensacola.navy.mil

So, does this mean that mudkow went to the dogs? Inquiring minds want to know.

This story has also been picked up on Fark (www.fark.com) and there's a bunch of twentysomething know-it-alls that are saying "Orders are orders for a reason" and it appears the Navy was in the right. These are the same people blaming the government for failing to activate the military immedately to quell the violence and rescue the victims of Katrina in New Orleans.

I know you were only doing your job and darn sure the last thing you wanted was celebrity, but once again, thanks for helping those people in need out and Bravo Zulu to you, Sir!

Latest resources

Back