• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Navy Pilots Who Rescued Victims Are Reprimanded

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"there's a bunch of twentysomething know-it-alls that are saying "Orders are orders for a reason" and it appears the Navy was in the right."

Actually they are right. Orders are orders for a reason. So don't head over there and blast them. They are right at least from what I have read. His orders were to drop off much needed supplies and apparently return so more supplies could be delivered. I would hope mudkow could shed more light if that were not the case.

However, just like in battle, a plan will work right up until shots are fired or in this case a when a distress call is made. He chose to deviate from mission and ended up saving lives. He was willing to do what he felt was right and stuck to his guns. That is why he has been applauded. Personally if I was his commander, I would have had a closed door session to figure out what happened, especially since someone gave him the go ahead to continue. I would have given him a slap on the wrist at the same time shaking his hand and telling him it was a job well done as I sent him on his next sortie. It would have hit the papers a lot differently if it made them at all.

There is an old comparison between different service's aviation branches. The Army, Air Force, and Marines are given regulations saying what they can do. The Navy and the Coast Guard are only told what they can't do. It is a lot easier in the latter to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. Was it the right thing to do? In this instance it seems so as he saved lives and he deserves the applause.

P.S. Mudkow, how is that DCA paperwork going? Give me a holler if you need any help.

I understand that military servicemembers are obligated to follow their orders, and I understand the logistical need for supplies in such a (no pun intended) fluid situation, but I would like to think the flexibility given to field-grade officers to react to a given situation would have applied in this situation. I can understand the verbal reprimand to CYA while saying "good job" off the record, but from what I've read that wasn't exactly the case. I have no idea how the Navy works, so please forgive me if I am incorrect.

I haven't been to AMS yet (only 3 semesters of ROTC experience) but I am very willing to learn the AF way and no doubt will be told exactly how it is once in training. I would, however, like to think in a similar situation I'd have made an identical decision and dealt with the reprecussions afterward.

Right or wrong you're a hero. You and your crew saved 100+ lives, thats worth whatever reprimand the Navy didnt give you. Sleep well, you did the morally right thing.

Sorry.. changed my mind at the last minute. I am unsure of how I am to act and what I am to say. Turned down an interview with Navy Times today.

Wish the Navy and all the other services were getting the attention they deserve.

Last edited:
Mudkow60,

Let me also add my thanks to you and your crew for all the hard work you are doing under difficult circumstances.

I want you to know that there are many people that appreciate what you and others have done. You will never be thanked enough.

Having never served in any branch of the military I am unable to comment on your current situation with your superiors. However I was raised with the following in mind that it is always right to do right. Even if it means being punished for doing so.

This I know:
You can rest your head on your pillow tonight not worrying whether you did the right thing.

In the years to come you won't be wondering what happened to those people that you didn't help.

There will be others who will look up to you for doing what is right even if it means suffering the consequences afterwards.

Hey Mud,

I think NCFlyer is right on - "it's always right to do right". You made the call because you knew it was the proper thing to do, given the situation. Someone in an above post stated that a plan is good until the shots are fired. Much truth to that, but in my experience a plan is good until the completion of the pre-mission brief, after which time things change. In all of avation, we must adapt to the changing situations that present themselves, be it weather, aircraft malfunction, or a case like yours. In each case we'll be second, third, and even fourth guessed in our decisions either by the military or by the FAA/company. That's just the way it always has been and probably always will be.

BTW, don't feel as if you have to defend yourself to the press - your actions speak for themselves, and I commend you for them.

Matt,

If you ever decide to give the airlines a try someday and go to a pilot interview, you got the perfect story when they ask "Tell me about a time you broke a rule/regulation, etc..." I read about a guy who was actually interviewing for a flight attendant position who used to be a NYC firefighter. When asked if he ever broke a rule, he responded that on 9/11 he ignored an order to evacuate one of the towers and instead ran back in a rescued a woman. Sounds like you're in the same category as that guy. Great job! See ya around the pattern at NPA.

mudkow60 said:
Holy Sheit word gets around. That interview was all cleared thru our PAO's...

Not sure what to think. I am worried that I will be blamed.

I do not regret doing what I did to save the lives though.

This may be late, but I have been waiting for my subcription to go through. I had to sign up becaus eI wanted to post this. Being ex miliitary for many years, I am outraged at this. You have NOTHING to be blamed for. You did what any good officer would have done. This is what I posted on another board when I first heard about it.

Yes, you do have to follow orders. But being a highly trained officer as those two pilots are you are also supposed to be able to make solid concise judgment calls.......you can't tell me that every pilot in has ever followed the "book" to the T regardless of the saftey of others.. ANY member of the military can, if the situation presents itself, can refuse an order. You better be ABSOLUTLEY sure that the actions you would have taken had you followed a direct order would have drastic effects on others personell or civilians. If that was me, I would have done the same thing those guys did. Suggesting that it is along the "holywood" side of things just shows that this commander couldn't find his own @ss with 2 hands and a flashlight. Some big brassers need to pull thier head out of each others @ss as well as thier supperior officers @sses.

In my opinion the only one here who should be shoveling dog she-at is the comander who obviously has to be issued knee pads because keeping his superiors happy and covering his own @ss comes before the human, and hounorism that those pilots showed by using sound judgment.

Beautiful example of why I got out.

By the way. In case I seem to forward or blunt with this......I am ex Airborne and have served over sea as well in a few different places. I would rather train, work under, and go to war with an officer like you than the chicken$h!t you call a commander.

I stand and salute you.

Brent

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back