• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Navy Pilots Who Rescued Victims Are Reprimanded

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wars are won by the decisions and actions of those on the frontline, despite what the leadership has to say. During the cold war, we use to pride ourselves at how we were able to delegate decision-making down to the lowest level while I our GCI-controlled adversaries were easily confused and beaten. These two did not ignore their duties, they delivered the supplies. As far as not getting the helo's back to KNPA, they made the decision that they are sure the commander would have made given the opportunity - at least the commander they hope for, not the commander they have. Looking back, I think we will find a lot of military leadership whose real-time assessment was that this operation was more similar to ops normal than it was to the evacuation of Saigon - of course, that was wrong.

B/Z.. you did the right thing sir! That sounds like an example of how to adapt to the mission.
Semper Paratus

mudkow60 said:
Holy Sheit word gets around. That interview was all cleared thru our PAO's...

Not sure what to think. I am worried that I will be blamed.

I do not regret doing what I did to save the lives though.

As a former marine who has lead others in combat and as a Fire officer, It would appear to me that you upheld the tenets of leadership wonderfully. The ability to recognize and evaluate a situation in a fluid manner, taking decisive action and executing a plan are all things that we try to pass on to our subordinates as well as strive to be proficient in ourselves. As I read the news reports and the posts on this thread I was reminded of senior officers (Military as well as fire service) who forget the overall mission and focus on the seemingly non essential BS. I have found that many of these officers do not feel comfortable outside of predictable scenario's and the harddeck of SOP's and rigid regulations. To acknowledge a job well done outside of the scope of a clearly defined laid out path is diificult for them because to do so would entail them facing their own lack of true leadership and limited imagination. You did the right thing and when all is said and done I do beleive that someone's fitness report will reflect on the abhorant nature of the lack of leadership. (Hint: it won't be you) You will however always have to deal with officer's of this nature. In the early morning hours of september 12th I returned to my station in Brooklyn. We lost a man from my house at the WTC that day. My rig was destroyed. After finally making it back to the station, before I went home the only thing the station officer said to me was to make sure I filled out a lost/stolen report on my truck before I went home. (Former Army supply officer) So you may face others of like mind before you leave the service. Don't let those who think like that deter you from making sound decisions again in the future. It always come out in the wash.

mudkow60 said:
Sorry.. changed my mind at the last minute. I am unsure of how I am to act and what I am to say. Turned down an interview with Navy Times today.

Wish the Navy and all the other services were getting the attention they deserve.

Doesn't matter, Mudkow. You knew what to do and what to say when it counted, when lives were at stake. Sounds like you're a true "Quiet Professional", which is sometimes a rarity. A Navy Times interview, however, could go a long way in putting some attention on your crew members and the Navy in general. Might ought to reconsider the interview!

Tell your bros to put their "So that others may live" patches back on (if that's a true rumor)! You and your crew did the things you did that day for that very reason, don't let some questionable leadership actions sour it for you. Wear 'em with pride, just like you always have.

Latest resources

Back