• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Navy Pilots Who Rescued Victims Are Reprimanded

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Matt's a celebrity and I can say that I know him!!!

Dude, I'm sitting duty right now, looking out at our ramp packed full of semi trucks, cargo a/c, tents, FEMA trucks, refugee's etc... and the guys that are here in the ready room that just picked up on this story all are behind you 100%. Every person agree's they would have done the same thing given the situation and the inability to call home. You took the inititave and made the desicion on the fly. Sounds like the CDR may have created a PR nightmare for the Navy but what do I know? I'm gonna try and forward this on to Mister Stick (he's on leave right now) and you and I are going drinking after the airshow. Sent the story to Sarah too... job well done again dude.

Edit:
From CNN
Navy says pilots who rescued victims were not reprimanded

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Navy said Wednesday that two helicopter pilots who diverted from their logistics mission on the hurricane-ravaged Gulf Coast last week to rescue stranded civilians "are to be commended for their actions," and were not reprimanded as reported by the New York Times.

A Navy spokesman said the pilots -- Lt. David Shand and Lt. Matt Udkow -- were reminded by their commander, Cmdr. Michael Holdener, that their mission delivering supplies and spare parts is critical to the overall mission of saving lives, but neither pilot was punished or removed from flying duties. (Posted: 2:37 p.m.)

EPA: New Orleans floodwater has 10 times safe levels of E. coli, lead

Last edited:
The CNN story said that Rumsfeld got involved and may have thrown the bullsh*t flag.

It sounds like your CO may be one of those CYA types, more concerned with making sure he gets it on the record that he didn't agree with your divert, than doing the right thing. I bet he feels about two inches tall right now.

They said you guys rescued 100 people. Truly awesome.

Thanks for doing your job and doing whats right.

CLAMBAKE

P.S. I'm only watching CNN because I don't have control of the remote at work.

Last edited:
mudkow60,

Outstanding job, Sir. God bless you. I just saw it on CNN.

f*ck them! you did the right thing!

FD

I told my kids a bedtime story about you and your crew. I made the CDR out to be the bad guy. You guys were (and are) the heros. Now its the only story my kids want to hear. Great Job.

Again,

Thank you all. It is nice to hear the good comments. We were just doing what we knew was right. I feel bad that all the great things that the Navy is doing now is overshadowed.

This is a textbook example of taking the initiative. Aren't all military officers encouraged to behave this way? If not, they should be.

Someone tell Bill O'Reilly so he can make any attempt to discipline or censure these men is a public relations disaster for the , Navy.

My hat is off to you. Good show!

Last edited:
I been watching FOX all morning and not so much as a blurb about this story except what a wonderful job W. is doing... I just changed the channel to CNN. I think its pathetic what is going on out there. I think those poor people were intentionally left to die out there.
GOOD JOB mudkow60!!!

I can only pray if there was a disaster of this magnitude in my city there would be guys like you to save my neighbors and family. Aloha...

Latest resources

Back