• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Naval Academy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you want to go into the Marine Corps, the PLC program might be a more efficient route. Though you do have one or two summers of crushing training, you are generally unencumbered with ROTC-like activities during the school year, and also earn years of longevity for pay if you don't take the tuition stipend.
The best kept secret. I was guaranteed a flight school slot my first semester of college. They still doing that?

I graduated in 1987. Overall a great experience. Yes it's hard at times and you can't go out drinking and chasing pu$$y every night, but there's plenty of that to be had when you get outside the walls. Bottom line for me, I'd do it again. Outstanding sports programs, NCAA or intramural, just about everything to choose from, excellent education and that prepares you for the future. Mostly engineering but lots of "bull" majors available too. As was mentioned, it is a great place to be from, whether you stay for a career or move on. Obviously impressive on a resume, you can write your own ticket in many respects.

I chose Annapolis over the AFA because I wanted to fly from aircraft carriers, just something I always wanted to do (that and the fact that Naval Aviators are better, of course). Realize that's not a given, there are hoops to jump through to make it that far. There are usually enough pilot slots for those physically qualified, but you don't want to be last in the class academically just in case! PM me if you have more questions.

Go to a nice big state school where you can party your ass off for 4 years, and get a more diversified education (and get laid a lot more) then spend 13 weeks in OCS, and have the same butter bars as everyone else. I probably did more drinking/partying/socializing in my first 6 weeks of college than my current roommate (an academy guy from '02) did in his first 2 years. But hey.. to each their own.

Go to USAFA. Make USNA #2 choice (anybody can crash-land on a boat) ... or go to USAFA and cross-comission into USMC (or USN if you like "seamen"). Or choose that other school in NY if both of these options fail. Seriously, any service academy is a great education, guaranteed career upon graduation / comission. They are you best guaranteed option to get into flight school.

Robot? WTFO? Is this from your vast experience with dudes from the Academies?

I went to USAFA, drank as much as anyone on this thread and got laid like a madman. You just have to be a little more proactive.

Guess what? If you're a f****** geek in high school, you're going to be a f****** geek in college whether you're at USAFA, USNA, FSU, or Bama. If you went there, comment. If you didn't, STFU. Most ROTC guys I know (and I include some of them as my best buds) are woefully misinformed about Academy life (yes, there can be one), and most of the ROTC guys, despite what they say, can't tell if a dude went to the Academy or not unless they wear their ring, which most of us don't.

MAGNUM!! said:
Robot? WTFO? Is this from your vast experience with dudes from the Academies?

I went to USAFA, drank as much as anyone on this thread and got laid like a madman. You just have to be a little more proactive.

Guess what? If you're a f****** geek in high school, you're going to be a f****** geek in college whether you're at USAFA, USNA, FSU, or Bama. If you went there, comment. If you didn't, STFU. Most ROTC guys I know (and I include some of them as my best buds) are woefully misinformed about Academy life (yes, there can be one), and most of the ROTC guys, despite what they say, can't tell if a dude went to the Academy or not unless they wear their ring, which most of us don't.
Relax, Magnum, you're gonna give Zoomies a bad name. By your logic, you shouldn't comment here, either, because you didn't attend Canoe U.

You're only kidding yourself if you think your social life compared with that of a "normal" university student. How many times did you, ON A TUESDAY AFTERNOON, decide to just go grab a pizza and beer for dinner? How many times did you decide to sleep in rather than attend a class? How many times did you have to think about washing your own clothes?

WizardPilot's point that academy life is more structured is valid. I think his advice was pretty accurate. Lighten up.

Magnum may have been a little forceful but I must admit I've been thinking much the same thing. Hawkins asked guys who have been there what they thought and over half the guys on this thread are offering opinions about how great their civilian colleges were.

If Hawkins can get into one of the acadamies, let's all assume he is smart enough to ask all his friends about State U. down the road. But he may not know anyone at one of the academies, thus the query.

For my part, I enjoyed USNA overall and would do it again but it is definitely different than a civilian school. That being said, you don't get to sleep in or skip class or take 4 day weekends. All part of the deal. However, you will get a chance to do sports and not have to worry too much about it affecting your academics, since everyone is required to do something. Although, varsity football is going to take way more of your time and effort than company fieldball.

Another nice thing, is that it lets/forces you to prioritize and compartmentalize to an extraordinary degree. When you are at school you study and work out. When you get away from the yard for a weekend, you binge drink and party with the best of them (well, maybe you won't be quite as adept at tapping a keg as your ROTC friends, but it can all be learned in time)

If you want to serve your country and start now, it is a fine place to start. Of course, ROTC will accomplish the same thing, you'll just have a different experience enroute.

firstthird said:
Magnum may have been a little forceful but I must admit I've been thinking much the same thing. Hawkins asked guys who have been there what they thought and over half the guys on this thread are offering opinions about how great their civilian colleges were.

If Hawkins can get into one of the acadamies, let's all assume he is smart enough to ask all his friends about State U. down the road. But he may not know anyone at one of the academies, thus the query.
The dynamic you observe is no different than on any other thread on FlightInfo. Hawkins will have to sort the wheat from the chaff.

If WizardPilot was smart enough to earn an appointment to USNA, I reckon he's qualified to comment on the subject. There's no reason for Magnum!! to get all wrapped up because he chose to use the word "robot." Furthermore, it's irresponsible to try to lead Hawkins to believe that a cadet can "drink and get laid" just like a university student. I'm not too worried about it, though, because I think someone seriously looking at the service academies is probably bright enough to see through his facade.

Besides, it's not about "geekiness" or machismo - - the differences in lifestyles are much more profound than when and where you can drink alcohol and whether it's permissable to spend the night with your girlfriend.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back