• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Naval Academy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Agreed. Definitely a big decision and taking in all the available info is the only way to go. And when it comes down to it, Hawkins will be the only one to know where his priorities lie and what he wants long term.

And frankly, plenty of guys do chooose an academy, get there, decide they made a bad choice and bail sometime during the first year. not the preferred method, but it happens.

MAGNUM!! said:
I went to USAFA, drank as much as anyone on this thread and got laid like a madman.
I didn't have to go to either of the service academies to be able to say that THIS is total Bull$hit!

Define "Madman"!

Having spent most of my life with those who took various routes to commissioning, it's clear who the socially challenged among us were, by a long shot, the Acadmeny victims.
Drank and got laid like a madman at the USFA....PUHLEEEZE!

Thanks for all the different views guys. Don't worry, I'm just a high school kid getting a little perspective on the different ways to get involved in the Navy. I won't take anyone too seriously. I promise.

-Hawkins

Hawkins said:
I'm just a high school kid getting a little perspective on the different ways to get involved in the Navy.
-Hawkins

Hey Hawk...I'm not an academy guy, however been in for over 23 years and to be honest with you, it really isn't all that apparent who did or did not go to one of the service academies. There are benefits and drawbacks to any of the avenues available to getting a set of wings (be they gold or silver).
If you want to get a good perspective of academy life in general, try reading the book "Absolutely American". The service school guys I have talked to said it was a pretty good depiction of life at an academy, and I felt it accurately protrayed the comradeship that exists in the military in general. Granted it is about West Point, however it is a good read, and current (published last year I think)......go check it out at the local library (using the library is a good way to practice being cheap as an airline guy later in life!!)

Hawkins said:
Thanks for all the different views guys. Don't worry, I'm just a high school kid getting a little perspective on the different ways to get involved in the Navy. I won't take anyone too seriously. I promise.

-Hawkins

Wanna know the best way to get involved with the Navy? Four words... Bachelor Degree Completion Program or BDCP for short.

Go to a four year school that you want to, and where you can have a real social life. Do well your first year (because you have to get 30 credit hours to apply for this). Lets say in May 2006 you're finishing up your freshman year of college. Now you can apply for BDCP, and whatever program you want. Wanna be a pilot, you're applying for a pilot slot in 2009 when you graduate. So you apply, get accepted to the BDCP program. Now what happens, is when you graduate college in 2009, you have an OCS date waiting for you and a guaranteed pilot slot, cuz thats what you applied for (can't get that at an academy). And oh ya, that whole time you're in school, you're getting E-4 pay every month, you're accruing leave that you'll have when you get commisioned a full bank of leave as an O-1!!!), and you're time in service counts. So you'll be commisioned as an O-1, and have 2 or 3 years of service, and be making way more $$$ than the Academy pukes that wasted away for 4 years locked up while you were out partying your ass off and getting a nice paycheck, to do nothing but go to school. Thats right, no ROTC unit, no uniform, nothing. Just keep your grades up and keep your ass in shape for OCS.

And I agree full heartedly with Hugh... you could DEFINATLEY spot the Academy guys showing up to flight training when I was in Pensacola, they all looked like slobs and had no social skills (well 60-70% of them)... there were some really good dudes that came from Canoe U though.

PS... as a BDCP your pay can also go up while you're in school if you recruit more people to the program.

SIG600 said:
Wanna know the best way to get involved with the Navy? Four words... Bachelor Degree Completion Program or BDCP for short.

Go to a four year school that you want to, and where you can have a real social life. Do well your first year (because you have to get 30 credit hours to apply for this). Lets say in May 2006 you're finishing up your freshman year of college. Now you can apply for BDCP, and whatever program you want. Wanna be a pilot, you're applying for a pilot slot in 2009 when you graduate. So you apply, get accepted to the BDCP program. Now what happens, is when you graduate college in 2009, you have an OCS date waiting for you and a guaranteed pilot slot, cuz thats what you applied for (can't get that at an academy). And oh ya, that whole time you're in school, you're getting E-4 pay every month, you're accruing leave that you'll have when you get commisioned a full bank of leave as an O-1!!!), and you're time in service counts. So you'll be commisioned as an O-1, and have 2 or 3 years of service, and be making way more $$$ than the Academy pukes that wasted away for 4 years locked up while you were out partying your ass off and getting a nice paycheck, to do nothing but go to school. Thats right, no ROTC unit, no uniform, nothing. Just keep your grades up and keep your ass in shape for OCS.

And I agree full heartedly with Hugh... you could DEFINATLEY spot the Academy guys showing up to flight training when I was in Pensacola, they all looked like slobs and had no social skills (well 60-70% of them)... there were some really good dudes that came from Canoe U though.

PS... as a BDCP your pay can also go up while you're in school if you recruit more people to the program.

Consider the source...I'm glad he's such an authority on the USNA.

Hawkins,

Those telling you not to go to the USNA, were not amongst USNA ranks. Regarding snatch, the Mustang officers get all of it. I didn't poll the cool ones, but served with many outstanding USNA types.

Good Luck,
Chach

F18-FDX said:
Consider the source...I'm glad he's such an authority on the USNA.

But, he didn't claim to be an authority on USNA, and he didn't comment on USNA.

Hawkins said
I'm just a high school kid getting a little perspective on the different ways to get involved in the Navy.
and SIG600 told us about a different way that hadn't been mentioned. I sure wish I had known about some program like this when I was in high school looking out.

Imagine my surprise when I was an O-1 at 1 year pay and learned that a contemporary in the squadron who was commissioned after me was earning O-1 at the 3 year rate. I didn't know it was possible until then.

Hawkins is better off for knowing now.

:)

Tony C gets what I was saying apparantly. Ya... I had buddies that were commisioned with me in OCS, making O-1 over 3 years (which is about 500-600 a month more) and had a maxed out leave bank. Someone tell me how this is a bad deal?

Hugh Jorgan said:
Drank and got laid like a madman at the USFA....PUHLEEEZE!

Dude... guys at USAFA don't take no for an answer!

MAGNUM!! said:
Robot? WTFO? Is this from your vast experience with dudes from the Academies?

I went to USAFA, drank as much as anyone on this thread and got laid like a madman. You just have to be a little more proactive.

Guess what? If you're a f****** geek in high school, you're going to be a f****** geek in college whether you're at USAFA, USNA, FSU, or Bama. If you went there, comment. If you didn't, STFU. Most ROTC guys I know (and I include some of them as my best buds) are woefully misinformed about Academy life (yes, there can be one), and most of the ROTC guys, despite what they say, can't tell if a dude went to the Academy or not unless they wear their ring, which most of us don't.

Chill out MAGNUM. I was using "robot" as only a describing word. The Academy is very regimented, and I do not think that you can deny that. No one I have talked to, friends and random zoomies, ever have denyed that. But yes, I have somewhat of a "Vast" experience of academy dudes. It takes you guys awhile to come back to the world when you guys finish off.

You need to get over yourself. Guy's like you at academies or any other school who try to go out, get drunk, and dive pu$$y at every oppourtunity give schools bad names. I have known "F****in geeks" in HS who are now very very well respected at their schools, and are either married to or dating some freaking hot girls. AND I know guys who were not "F*****in geeks" in HS and are complete lame, and ignorant people who don't want to come to the realization that you have to grow up one day... I hope you have realized this, because if you base yourself on how much you got wasted and how many girls (or gay lovers in your case) you got on, that is pathetic. You and even ROTC guys are training to be officers in the AF, USN, USMC, Army, Girls might be fun to get, and getting drunk might be your thing, but that is stupid, childlike, and Primative. Getting drunk and getting some is not what college is all about, and some people take it to the extreme.

Don't think that since you went to the academy and got drunk and pu$$y every once and awhile makes you all high and mighty. I respect Academy guys very very much. But their lives are much much more different than a civilians or ROTC guy. That is all I was trying to say, and you explode on here. I have been in the thread's starters posistion before and it is a difficult decision to make. I was just trying to help out, but you decide to freak out. You can give your opinions and I will give mine.

You are true in that later on in life it is hard to differentiate between Academy guys and ROTC guys. You really can't do it. But you bet you can when you get them right after commission day. Good luck to all.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back