Naval Academy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hawkins

Just curious if anyone here went through the Naval Academy in Annapolis. If so, what was it like?

Thanks,
Hawkins

Robert. Crown Sailing Center

Best free education you can get. Word of advise, if you are luck enough to get in, try out for the sailing team. It is the only way to get off academy grounds during your plebe year. I know, I was an offshore racing coach there.

Great Place to be from but a lousy place to be.... Make some good friends, put up with a lot of arcane policies, summers are fun, and four years after you start, it'll take 6 months to start acting human again - recommend going to a real school, drinking beverages of your choice, interacting with the opposite sex and NROTC on the side -- just my two cents

Yes, class of 1980. I stay up with what's going on through the alumni association. Good school, frustrating at times due to an indecisive policy of trying to have the Midshipmen leadership run the place, while keeping a lid on any scandals. Bunch of smart people locked up and under constant stress is a recipe for mischief. IMHO they should knock off the 1950's style BS and run the place like the active duty military, but then we'd have a larger population of Mids in Leavenworth.

That said, if you like sports, there are plenty of opportunities to participate, albeit not at the highest levels of the NCAA. You can learn a lot if all of the additional duties and heavy class load don't get in the way. The school gets a large number of aviation slots, which are handed out by class rank (though they may have snuck in a quality spread metric, the more recent grads can comment). Town is nice if pricey, though a lot of the locals give the Mids a cold shoulder. Summer training can be a blast if you get the right slot.

When I went we came out with a regular commission, vice a reserve one. They changed that to a reserve commission a while back, and now have come full circle and you graduate with a regular commission again.

If you want to go into the Marine Corps, the PLC program might be a more efficient route. Though you do have one or two summers of crushing training, you are generally unencumbered with ROTC-like activities during the school year, and also earn years of longevity for pay if you don't take the tuition stipend.

USNA is worth a look. Can be hard to get into from certain states due to its popularity (MD, VA, NY, MA). Some states end up with unfilled appointments that go to out-of-staters.

Good luck.

I applyed last year to the AFA and USNA. AFA rejected, got into the USNA. I turned down the appointment, I got a AF scholarship for ROTC and I figured that would be a better route for me. I am from Utah, and I was number one on the nom. list for the congressman. You have to weigh what you want to do, and how you would like your life to be. If you want to be a robot and not get out much, head the the USNA. I bet it is not that bad, but in the ROTC program, you basicly have a civilian life and maybe one or 2 summers doing some training or job shadowing.

Also you may want to weigh academic possibilities. At the USNA, you will be able to get as much help as you ask for and can squeeze in. Your time is regimented (no slacking off is what that means), and you can say that you graduated or attend the USNA. That regimented schedule from the get go makes or breaks people. If you have the desire to do well at the academy, you will. If you have the desire to do well in a civilian school, and don't have a schedule planned out, it will hurt you. But that regiment is guarenteed at the academy. There are pro's and con's to everything. You should look into all of them and make a decision based on that and the outcomes of each. DO NOT ONLY APPLY TO SERVICE BRANCH SCHOOLS!!! Apply for AF and Navy scholarships, they give those out quite frequently, and if you prepare yourself for the academy and do not get the slot, chances are you have prepared well enough for a scholarship(full ride too.).

Look into what civilian public or private schools have ROTC programs and if the school apeals to you apply to it. What can it hurt? Weigh your options, and what you want to do in your life, set the goals, and just shoot at it! Do your best, do not get discouraged. Things change and may get tough, but if you fight through it you will become a better officer and civilian. This is my advice to do if you are looking into applying. If you have applyed and are accepted, congrats! Enjoy it and have a nice day.

Wizard

That was th USAFA

Hugh Jorgan said:
Girlfriend killing?

Hugh, I thought you were a seaman?

Remedial PT is in your future. Have fun with all those boxes tonight....I'm only talkin' about the freight.

I sponsor 3 mids. at Annapolis

They are really dedicated and work hard. I don't think I would have liked that much structure in college. Pulling watch until 2100 on a Saturday night, no thanks!

It definately isn't a free education, but if your dedicated, it would be a great learning experience.

I applied to USNA back when I was in high school. Didn't get accepted and went with my back up - NROTC. And..it worked out for the best! I ended up getting a "free" education plus free room and board (certain selected rotc schools) and a slot into flight school.

Not to knock the academy (very prestigious) but some academy guys I work with said they would have done rotc if they could do it all over. Contrary to popular belief, back when I selected pilot, everyone from my rotc unit who wanted it got it. It is actually more competitive to get pilot at the academy.

Just food for thought - don't forget to do your homework and keep your options open. Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back