Nationwide Walkout!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ty Webb said:
You don't seem to get it, Chief. It's not illegal.
Tell that to the judge.
The Airlines are going to have to manage their way out of their problems, and cutting pilot pay further isn;t an option, period. Raise fares, and manage intelligently. Stop raiding the coffers and bailing with golden parachutes.
Preaching to the choir.
What are you? Apparently, a beaten-down person who is content to just take it and take it.
Take it? Take what? I've been a Teamster, ALPA, APA, ALPA, and ALPA again. I'm also a member of a class-action lawsuit against ALPA. I vote in every election. If we strike I'll strike. A nationwide sickout will generate plenty of publicity (as intended) with the result being more wins for management.
Sure I do. Because we are all in this together- something you don't seem to get. Maybe after two more pay cuts and/or another pink slip the curtain will lift, and all will be made clear for you. Me, I see it now.
Speaking of pink slips, you're seeing things through rose-colored glasses. As others here have more eloquently stated ALPA pilots have very different interests depending on which company they fly for and how senior they are. Effective leadership might be able to trick the public into thinking there's unity but most of usl know better.

It doesn't matter what the union says about a "sickout". The courts would still hold ALPA responsible for any large scale sickout or mass resignation and hit it with massive fines. You think ALPA is useless now? Try no union at all.

What neither of you seem to get is that there is no union to hold accountable. We're not talking ALPA here, we're talking 121 pilots making a stand that ALPA doesn't have the stomach for.

I understand what you're saying and if you can make it work I'm for it. The problem is that the courts don't care whether the union directly calls for it or not. They will hold it accountable for any sickout or mass resignation. Look what happened in the last few years when pilots at some of the majors tried it and the court warned ALPA that they would be heavily fined if it continued. Hell, if I understand correctly, the union nearly got in trouble at Comair during their negotiations just because the pilots acting independently of ALPA wrote up more mechanical discrepancies than usual.

What????

Deli Guy said:
Did we just sit around when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?...........................................

I think you better go back and watch the movie or read a book...Germans???

Geez!

Ty Webb said:
I'm a pilot . . A pilot with a brain, and some stones.

Judging by the contract your pilot group is working under, I wouldn't be bragging about your stones too much. Hate to tell you, but upstart LCC's whose pilots have been willing to work for far less are PART of the problem.

As for a walkout, it's a nice idea, but it wouldn't accomplish anything. It would simply turn the flying public and the government against pilots even more. Do you really think you are going to get sympathy from the average Joe?

It's kind of funny that everyone seems to think that just raising fares will solve all the problems. Well, if that's the case:

-Maybe all stores that sell clothes should raise their prices 30%, so that they can pay the sweatshop workers in Asia a decent wage?

-Maybe your grocery store should raise the price of food 30% so that the poor migrants who pick your produce can have a living wage and benefits?

-Maybe the government (state, federal, local) should raise your taxes 30% so that teachers, firefighters, police, EMT's, can get a decent wage?

-Maybe the government should raise taxes even more so that our men and women serving in the armed forces can make a decent wage? Many of the folks on the ground in Iraq make far less than the pilots on this board and are doing work that is far more dangerous and just as difficult.

Everyone on this board screams to raise prices, but I'd bet you wouldn't support the same being done in other industries. I'm not saying that fares shouldn't go up, but there are a lot of consequences that most on this board don't understand.

As I have said before, most people are greedy when times are good. Try getting them to unite for the common good when they are scared and angry.

Nindiri said:
They will hold it accountable for any sickout or mass resignation. Look what happened in the last few years when pilots at some of the majors tried it and the court warned ALPA that they would be heavily fined if it continued. .

Look, guy, I don't all day to sit here and say the same thing over and over. What happened at American was one union. That is why the judge imposed the fine. I-am-not-talking-about-a-union-action. . . . . clear enough? I'm talking about pilots-in-general.

Latest resources

Back