Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ditto!!!

DOH from your first 121 carrier.

What about the other secotrs of aviation? 91, 135, and 137 for example. Aren't you guys looking for an all inculsive list that will help ALL pilots?

Why not from your first PIC type (or type waiver)?

ditto!!!

DOH from your first 121 carrier.

sounds good enough... start at Eagle, work 6 months and go fly 135 or 91... seems fair...after all this is about helping ALL pilots right?

You sure cant think 121 is some " club " when its the easiest flying job out there to get with the least amount of experience needed ( regional level ) ... no way you could give more credit to a pilot at Mesa/RAH/Skywest over a pilot with 5 types flying charter/corporate ( a pilot is a pilot ) .... just a thought..

Bring on the list...

Great idea and 50 yrs overdue. The only fair way is to make the DOH the day you earned your ATP. It would make that license finally mean something again and it would motivate all to obtain it as fast as possible whether you are military or civilian.

Now the reality check.

Pilots are usually only for something that helps them personally and against everything else that might move things forward for the whole profession. Waiting for that to change......well, hell may freeze over first!

Hope I'm wrong, but not holding my breath!

It mentions air carrier...that would include 135. Heck, I don't know-that would give me a seniority date in '98...2000 if they go 121 carrier, 2004 I think is when we voted the teamsters in.

Now if they get their noses in the air and don't recognize 135 operations as Air Carriers per the FAR's they will have a tough time selling it.

It's not a bad idea overall. There are so many variables that would screw people though I can't see it happening. For instance if they picked "date of first turbojet type rating" some kids that got a free type in a bizjet of some sort at a young age would clobber me-even though my first jet type rating was in a 744 and I had been type rated in a turboprop years before.

And my years as an A&P while I built time for ratings and earned a degree would count for nothing...

It's a good idea and to be sure to the detriment of management's corruption (at all air carriers) it should be pursued.

I just don't see how it could be done equitably and without discrimination. Further I just survived a furlough. Guys that got hired after me are pretty much gone...but had this been in place some of those guys would be replacing me and I would be on the street because of their years at brand X.

Guys that got their first 121 job later in life could really be screwed by a kid with SJS...

Last edited:
ALPA is a labor union representing part 121 carriers which have union contracts. I don't follow how it could grant seniority to 135 pilots at non-union carriers.
The underlying premise behind the resolution is to place all alpa pilots under one list, which counters whipsawing and outsourcing, and provides job protection to dues-paying, union members.
If 135 guys want to start paying dues to alpa in order to be included on the list, even though they have no union representation on property, ok, but why would they do that?
I would be more convinced if the 135 pilots started organizing now. We all know that won't happen.....

What about someone who gets an ATP in a weekend course? I know just such an individual, although how he passed is beyond me. He then dropped out of flying for some time before getting back into it. Should all those years count for him?

For my money, total time at a union 121 carriers makes the most sense.

Latest resources

Back