• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

National Seniority list

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Every 121 pilot with 20 years wet dream.

Everyone elses worst nightmare.

Hell, let's just nationalize the airlines into one big carrier, pay government wages (suck) and bill the taxpayer for lousy service, high fares, and a total lack of innovation.

While we're at it, let's just nationalize everything and let the state plan everything acording to a 5 year plan for the Great Leap Forward.

Sheesh.

FreedomAList said:

Hell, let's just nationalize the airlines into one big carrier, pay government wages (suck) and bill the taxpayer for lousy service, high fares, and a total lack of innovation.

While we're at it, let's just nationalize everything and let the state plan everything acording to a 5 year plan for the Great Leap Forward.

Sheesh.

Not that I advocate the government taking over the air transportation system......but every government flying job I know pays much better than RJ rates.

Go to FAA.gov and look at the DEA,FAA,ATF etc.. pilot openings. Not to mention the government pensions and bennies.

Government run...No Government salaries.....that would be a raise for 90% of the RJ drivers out there.

FreedomAList said:

Sheesh.

Exactly! I heard some pilots say we need this! I was just wondering if anyone else thought it was communist.

FreedomAList said:

Pay might suck, might not, but they will have a guaranteed pension when they retire, which is a LOT more than most us will be able to say.

kngarthur said:
Exactly! I heard some pilots say we need this! I was just wondering if anyone else thought it was communist.

Communist? Then I guess machinists, plumbers, automotive technicians, etc. are communist. You get your union card, and your experience gains you higher levels of certification which you can take with you from job to job.

The current system of seniority is completely unique to the airline world. If I had 10 years of experience as a forklift operator, then I could easily quit my job and go work for somebody else for equal or possibly greater wages. It is this threat which forces companies to keep their wages competitive or risk losing all their workers.

The system for the airlines removes the element of free market - I think that's what's communist. An airline can slash your wages and benefits to near nothing, but nobody dares quit because you'd have to start again at the bottom somewhere else. I don't see how we put up with it.

There's a difference between a guild (which is what is being talked about here), and a government run system.

Seems to me, a guild would remove labor cost from the overall cost equation. Might actually shine the spotlight where it belongs: On management's ability (or lack thereof) to run an airline.

Your retirement would be portable from company to company

You wouldn't have to start over at the bottom of another seniority list

Pay would be based on your number within the guild, not the airline.

On and on.

But alas, a wet dream.

AF :cool:

Last edited:
A national airline would cause a lot of flying jobs to disappear because there would be no competition or redundant capacity (i.e. there would only be one airline flying a route instead of half a dozen). I'd say that is a bad thing.

I did have a crashpad mate who had a good suggestion for a seniority list. It's basically a guild where you get a number and get hired in order of that number. If furloughed, you take a new job in seniority order.

The big problem that I see is that furloughed major airline pilots would most likely not want to take what would probably be the first opening, a regional FO slot. Additionally, I see problems with a common pay scale since airlines are in vastly different financial situations, none of them good.

blueridge71 said:
A national airline would cause a lot of flying jobs to disappear because there would be no competition or redundant capacity (i.e. there would only be one airline flying a route instead of half a dozen). I'd say that is a bad thing.

I did have a crashpad mate who had a good suggestion for a seniority list. It's basically a guild where you get a number and get hired in order of that number. If furloughed, you take a new job in seniority order.

The big problem that I see is that furloughed major airline pilots would most likely not want to take what would probably be the first opening, a regional FO slot. Additionally, I see problems with a common pay scale since airlines are in vastly different financial situations, none of them good.

The original post wasn't about a national airline. It's titled National Seniority List.

When I'm king :D, the first opening, be it an FO slot or whatever would still pay you based on your seniority within the guild, not what seat you are in.

There would still be competition, just not between companies to see who's labor cost is the lowest.

AF :cool:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back