• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

National Airlines - KYIP - 757 FO's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wishful demise and speculation by the Kalitta crews?

Hardly.

National didn't get the -400's. They picked up others, but the JAL airplanes, they didn't get. They recently took deliver of an Air France airplane, I believe.

Kalitta picked up a dozen Classics, the former NWA airplanes. And a LOT of spares, engines, etc. Some will be put in service, some likely will not.

Hardly.

National didn't get the -400's. They picked up others, but the JAL airplanes, they didn't get. They recently took deliver of an Air France airplane, I believe.

Kalitta picked up a dozen Classics, the former NWA airplanes. And a LOT of spares, engines, etc. Some will be put in service, some likely will not.

Yeah I heard 4 will fly the rest will probably get to retire in beautiful, balmy Oscoda. I don't know if will be a net gain of flying classics, I think they will be replacing -100's with them? Who knows but I sure think it's a good thing. Better than parking half your fleet and laying guys off and that's good for all of us.

Yeah I heard 4 will fly the rest will probably get to retire in beautiful, balmy Oscoda. I don't know if will be a net gain of flying classics, I think they will be replacing -100's with them? Who knows but I sure think it's a good thing. Better than parking half your fleet and laying guys off and that's good for all of us.

Spares and engines I guess. The R motors are almost as fuel efficient as the GE's plus the extra trust helps with hot and high. IMHO I see an all R powered fleet and a 100 for HNL.

And like the 400's until it's on the ramp in the restaurant colors then it is what it is - rumors.

No I really enjoyed the Captains I flew with.
The plane was P.O.S
Although it is fairly interesting to see the almost cult like love of that turd by the old timers like your self.
Plenty of jobs in the 3rd World to keep that dream alive.... My hat is off to you

Personally I am awed by the longevity of the DC 8.

The R motors are almost as fuel efficient as the GE's plus the extra trust helps with hot and high.

As far as fuel efficiency goes, the -R Pratts aren't even close to the GE's. Typically close to 1000 PPH higher per engine than the GE's, at least for the first half of the flight. They get a bit better the lighter you get.

Do like the extra oomph from the 'R's. MGTOW of 833K # with the GE's your pretty much wheezing @ TOC / FL290 when it's hot. The -R Pratts just march right on up to cruise altitude, no worries 'mate.

The Pratts are also good entertainment, watching FO's deal with the greater idle thrust on arrival and approach. It is always fun watching them run with the engines unbalanced, thinking that all four thrust levers matched up will give them symmetrical thrust. With the AP on, in level flight, and the yoke is displaced significantly to the right or left, I would love asking the question "does this look OK to you?". Ah, a learning experience!

For real efficiency you should see the fuel flows on the GE90-110B

Last edited:
As far as fuel efficiency goes, the -R Pratts aren't even close to the GE's. Typically close to 1000 PPH higher per engine than the GE's, at least for the first half of the flight. They get a bit better the lighter you get.

Do like the extra oomph from the 'R's. MGTOW of 833K # with the GE's your pretty much wheezing @ TOC / FL290 when it's hot. The -R Pratts just march right on up to cruise altitude, no worries 'mate.

The Pratts are also good entertainment, watching FO's deal with the greater idle thrust on arrival and approach. It is always fun watching them run with the engines unbalanced, thinking that all four thrust levers matched up will give them symmetrical thrust. With the AP on, in level flight, and the yoke is displaced significantly to the right or left, I would love asking the question "does this look OK to you?". Ah, a learning experience!

For real efficiency you should see the fuel flows on the GE90-110B

Agreed having flown both motors (PW & GE). You also forgot about getting the FE to play around with fuel heat whilst trying to "sync" the engines - more fun and games on a newbie!!

Does anyone know who did get the JAL 744s? I had heard once it was Northern Air Cargo although I never knew they had aspirations to get into that market, so I kind of took that rumor loosely.
Did I read that right they were looking for qualified 747-400 captains, line check airmen to boot and offering 75K?? That has to be a record-unfortunately it is probably not.

Does anyone know who did get the JAL 744s? I

As it turns out, it doesn't look like anybody has them yet.
Kalitta Air had a signed agreement with JAL to acquire the airplanes, but the Japanese bankruptcy court forced JAL to discard the deal and open it up for bidding.
National Airlines (ex-Murray Air), a subsidiary of National Air Cargo, was the high bidder and was awarded the airplanes.
Word on the street is that they aren't able to secure financing. Who knows?
I guess we'll see what happens next.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back