Nasty Chief Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
tracearabians said:
Anyone here had any experiences with chief pilots that are truly assholes? :rolleyes:
Yes. This guy will never suffer from hemoroids - he is truely the perfect... One of the more memorable quotes: "There is enough margin built into the performance charts so that you can safely ignore them."

The guy practiced what he preached - he landed one of the airplanes 5,000 lbs over max landing weight and bent things up so badly the airplane had to be ferried back to the factory so that they could put it in the jigs. (The factory happens to be in a country on the other side of the Atlantic. :p ) He was in the front seat when a contract pilot one of our brand-new jets into a chain link fence. On one of his last flights for the company I understand that he landed "a little hot" at Carlsbad (KCRQ) and nearly ran it off of the end of the runway. It scared the you know what out of the poor guy in the right seat.

All this from the guy who "adjusted" the W&B and BOW on the company aircraft to allow them to fly with full fuel and full passengers, baggage, etc. (See the above quotation.)

Those aren't even the good stories. After running off 8 or 9 pilots over a 5 year period, (not all of our pilots were willing to play his games) upper management finally figured out what was going on what was going on and canned him.

'Sled

I worked (!) at a place that went through 26 pilots in a 9-year period. We're talking a 3-airplane operation. The CP had been a CFI when brought on board, never flew corporate, freight, etc. Nothing wrong with that, but he had no depth - in anything. Very weak manager, and a twitchy pilot. We carried multiple ASRS forms when flying with him. He would bust an altitude at least once per leg - many times on purpose. This at a F500 corporation. I couldn't take it beyond a year, went back to 135.

I had a friend who worked for a lagre chain FBO out of Addison Texas. I'm sure some MillionAir owned the place, but I dont want to say the name of the FBO. He flew Falcon 20s and Hawkers for them, but he is at CAL now. He told me about the GEM of a CP that still works there. A real loser.

Has an accident on his record so he is stuck and can;t move on
Got the ulgliest F/A (a real mutt) working for the company knocked up (Sleeping with the employess you oversee; now that's a real professional)
Married her (oh, that'll last!!)
Huge Ego
But what really takes the cake is that he keeps applying for the D/O position and keeps getting turned down and then says he really didnt want the job in the 1st place.
Not to mention the 1 time I met him on a trip to SEA, getting showered by his dandruff was a little more than I could handle.......

Last edited:
tracearabians said:
Your avatar ! Is he yours ? Looks like the little guy is ready for bed !

He's my grandson. That was lunch one day! Reminded me of my commuter airline days. Anyway, most @ashole CP's have a high turnover rate. The only reason people tolerate them is if the economy is slow. The problem is with management when they never realize that the chief is the problem not the indian. Many companies have lost good employees because people have been put into a management position without any proper training in people skills.

Amen and Amen to that!!!
slickmagneto said:
He's my grandson. That was lunch one day! Reminded me of my commuter airline days. Anyway, most @ashole CP's have a high turnover rate. The only reason people tolerate them is if the economy is slow. The problem is with management when they never realize that the chief is the problem not the indian. Many companies have lost good employees because people have been put into a management position without any proper training in people skills.

Never dealt with him except to quit...but he was famous for calling guys about issues and if they didn't see things his way he's launch into his "son, do it or your fired, you can just send your manuals, ID, Wings and Hat Brass back to Headquarters" speech. An idiot? He gets my vote.

King A--------Hole Award

The " Boss" I flew with won the King A-Hole, and Crazy individual award, this guy I worked with takes the cake..............Too many stories to pass along, it would take days of typing.........

He had mental issues, among everyother issue known to man!!! I had enough, and escaped with my sanity and life!!!!

I may have to write a book or make a movie about my times.........

Unbelievable!!!!

Un-Avoidable

tracearabians said:
Anyone here had any experiences with chief pilots that are truly assholes ?:rolleyes:

There are quite a few in the 135 Ops/Charter side of Aviation!!!

tracearabians said:
Anyone here had any experiences with chief pilots that are truly assholes ?:rolleyes:

WAAAAYYY TO MANY GODDA*N TIMES!!!!
Oh boy this could take a while...

Latest resources

Back