Nasty Chief Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
tracearabians said:
Anyone here had any experiences with chief pilots that are truly assholes ?:rolleyes:

I tried being one but then someone reminded me that I wasn't the Chief. If you really have 10,000 hrs and are just running into your first then you're a lucky guy.

I am just curious about some of the experiences. Wierdness, obnoxiousness, etc. Want to compare to see if there is a trend.
:nuts:
slickmagneto said:
I tried being one but then someone reminded me that I wasn't the Chief. If you really have 10,000 hrs and are just running into your first then you're a lucky guy.

Your avatar ! Is he yours ? Looks like the little guy is ready for bed !
slickmagneto said:

No More Headdress

I disliked being Chief... everyone thought I was an A-hole. Oh well, new job and I'm just another Indian. :beer:

I am a chief now, but I refuse to use that term. Only for FAA and insurance purposes. I will not ask our other pilot ( co-pilot ) to do anything I would not do. If he washes the airplane, I go help! We are a small (1 airplane, 2 pilot ) operation. I despise 2 pilot operations where one is the CHIEF and the other does all the work ! Ridiculous !
:smash:
AerroMatt said:
I disliked being Chief... everyone thought I was an A-hole. Oh well, new job and I'm just another Indian. :beer:

I have had several corporate jobs. I have not had a Chief Pilot I wouldn't go back to work for.

I once worked (very briefly) at a tiny part 91 outfit with a "chief pilot" (and two "non chiefs" I wasn't doing a lot of flying, and the company had decided to move their office. The chief pilot asked me to help him move the office. On the day decided, I had rented the truck, and showed up, and he didn't show. I called him up and he said he had other stuff to do and wasn't coming in, I had to do it myself. Keep in mind we're talking moving heavy furniture down flights of stairs. There's just no way.

So, taking the initiative, called one of my buddies to help me out. Beer and pizza as incentive. I still felt bad about it. Beer and pizza moves are for your personal stuff, not work stuff. But I had no other option. So we get all the stuff moved. I submit the beer and pizza receipt, and company refuses to pay...

In a word, YES.

However, that was back in the good old days (that really were not that good).

One chief pilot never, repeat never, told any of the pilots about a trip until the day of the trip no matter how long it had been planned, or long you would be out of town.

Another chief pilot would not show up in the cockpit until the baggage was loaded, all the passengers were on board and the pre-start checklist was done. I quit this job and a year later I was hired to replace him and ran the flight department for 20 years until the company was bought out.

Then I went to work for the United States Marshal Service Air Operations Division flying 727s.

Now that is whole different subject.:p

Latest resources

Back