• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MY throttles, pal!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oops. Reading the title of this post I thought somebody had finally gotten sick of a certain captain at ASA messing with the power on FO legs.

Guess I'll have to withhold my comments for now.

Carry on.

I thought airline pilots were supposed to hold hands during takeoff...

I hate the pilots who try to do a "passenger comfort" takeoff. I had a guy once tell me that it scares the passengers to be pressed back in their seats on takeoff, so eases the power up very slowly.

I've seen FOs do that recently, to the point where we're passing 100 knots and he still doesn't have the power up all the way! That may be smoother for the passengers, but your takeoff performance numbers go right out the window when you do that.

I'm not saying every takeoff has to be takeoff thrust before releasing the brake, but people need to get it in there in a reasonable amount of time.

GravityHater-

What kind of engine gauges are you dealing with? Do you use %N1 or EPR? Maybe the guy thinks the numbers have to be exactly what the T/O planning calls for. Maybe just tell him that "within 3% is good" and see if he's quicker about it.

Last edited:
414Flyer said:
I thought airline pilots were supposed to hold hands during takeoff...

Thats only on landing and its called a "coupled approach"

EagleRJ said:
I hate the pilots who try to do a "passenger comfort" takeoff.

????
Can you plz enlighten me on what this is. A little more detail..i have never heard of this.

GravityHater said:
After I stand them up, I ask the FO to 'Set Power, please' and this one guy seems to take forever tweaking and adjusting.... soon it is V1 and instead of removing MY hands from them and going to the yoke, I find HIS hands still on them!
How long does he get - crap I can usually set them within 1% in 5 seconds.

I am looking for any suggestions about the topic before I bring it up with him.
Just out of curiosity, what are you flying?

'Sled

EagleRJ said:
I've seen FOs do that recently, to the point where we're passing 100 knots and he still doesn't have the power up all the way! That may be smoother for the passengers, but your takeoff performance numbers go right out the window when you do that.

Perhaps there are some training and standardization issues involved here if the FOs don't understand why that's not a good idea. Perhaps you, as the captain, should step in and help the FOs learn what you have just shown you already know. They're only trying to do what they perceive as the "right thing". Help them see what that really is.

Our POH states that the power will be set by 60 knots, if that helps.

Thedude said:
????
Can you plz enlighten me on what this is. A little more detail..i have never heard of this.

I heard that some people flare the airplane or some nonsense like that. I like to pretend like it's a carrier landing and just fly it right inot the deck. Makes me feel like I land with authori-tie.

This one is way too easy guys. its hard to believe there is a discussion. All performance figures for runway required etc are based on max (or takeoff) power being set BEFORE BRAKE RELEASE. The manuals on our aircraft even give us the T/O N1 setting. What are you guys doing fooling with the power while the aircraft is moving.

Latest resources

Back