Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are perfectionists amongst us

Hugh Johnson said:
What are you guys doing fooling with the power while the aircraft is moving.

These are the guys who are tweaking the power until it's *just* perfect, no matter how long it takes...

...when they upgrade, they'll be the same ones who constantly adjust the power and put their hand on the gear lever when they want it down.

Deep breath.

Hugh Johnson said:
What are you guys doing fooling with the power while the aircraft is moving.
It's called a rolling takeoff. I haven't done a static takeoff in ages.

when the auto throttles fail to engage i just try to get them in the ballpark--that seems to be close enough.:)

Hugh Johnson said:
This one is way too easy guys. its hard to believe there is a discussion. All performance figures for runway required etc are based on max (or takeoff) power being set BEFORE BRAKE RELEASE. The manuals on our aircraft even give us the T/O N1 setting. What are you guys doing fooling with the power while the aircraft is moving.

That's not exactly true. It varies by aircraft type. Many aircraft have numbers for rolling takeoffs, with additional data for a "static" takeoff when every last bit of performance is needed.
When's the last time you took an airline flight where the crew made a static takeoff?

Some aircraft don't even allow the static takeoff under conditions of strong crosswinds. With the combination of high power and a strong crosswind across the intakes, there's an increased possibility of compressor stalls.

i agree with tonyc's first post in this thread. it should be taken care of in the t/o brief (thrust set by 60 kts to x check by 80 or whatever) but taking longer than a few seconds for N1 is pretty silly; just standing the sticks straight up usually gets it very close anyway

"That's not exactly true. It varies by aircraft type. Many aircraft have numbers for rolling takeoffs, with additional data for a "static" takeoff when every last bit of performance is needed.
When's the last time you took an airline flight where the crew made a static takeoff?

Some aircraft don't even allow the static takeoff under conditions of strong crosswinds. With the combination of high power and a strong crosswind across the intakes, there's an increased possibility of compressor stalls."

Hey, I learned something new today, cool. I'm spoiled because our 50 and 900EX have DEECS. Push it too the stop.

Hugh Johnson When's the last time you took an airline flight where the crew made a static takeoff? QUOTE said:
We used to run the power all the way up at SNA (John Wayne/Orange County CA) and then release the brakes - all part of the company noise abatement profile.

On the original poster's question:
I have found that FO's that have been yelled at for overboosting the power beyound target are worried about doing it again. If I had a guy doing that I would say, "Have it up to at least the target N1 by 80 knots, if it's 1 percent over that's okay as long as the EGT is within limits."

My favortie is when a parameter creeps into the yellow during a takeoff and somebody feels the need to snatch the respective power lever back into the green range. Apparently forgetting entirely that the yellow arc on this aircraft denotes a 5 MINUTE (!) limitation for takeoff.

Latest resources

Back