MY throttles, pal!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GravityHater

After I stand them up, I ask the FO to 'Set Power, please' and this one guy seems to take forever tweaking and adjusting.... soon it is V1 and instead of removing MY hands from them and going to the yoke, I find HIS hands still on them!
How long does he get - crap I can usually set them within 1% in 5 seconds.

I am looking for any suggestions about the topic before I bring it up with him.

where I work, the FP sets the thrust within a couple percent of target then the NFP adjusts thrust to target. All this is done before 60 knots

GravityHater said:
How long does he get -

As long as you allow, Captain. Perhaps, "...that's good, I have the throttles..." would work.

How close to the predetermined setting do you get them on the initial push? I've flown with guys who are lucky to hit 40% N1 on their push...requiring me to spend the next five seconds trying to properly set it...if we're light, we might be close to 100 kts. before it gets set properly.

I agree excessive fine tuning is unnecessary...particularly with reduced thrust usage.

GravityHater said:
After I stand them up, I ask the FO to 'Set Power, please' and this one guy seems to take forever tweaking and adjusting.... soon it is V1 and instead of removing MY hands from them and going to the yoke, I find HIS hands still on them!
How long does he get - crap I can usually set them within 1% in 5 seconds.

I am looking for any suggestions about the topic before I bring it up with him.
The takeoff data (V speeds, distances, etc.) on the turbojets, turbofans I've flown has been predicated on the power being set by 80 knots. The power settings are going to vary with increasing airspeed anyway, so set a limit. Brief the takeoff to include, "Have the power set by 80 knots and then don't touch the throttles (thrust levers, if you prefer :) )" Coincidentally, we also verbalize an airpseed indicator cross check at 80 knots, so there's no doubt who "owns" the throttles from that point on. You may want to have the FO announce Takeoff Power set (we announce "Standard Power set" or "Max power set") or "Your throttles" or something to that effect.

However you do it, you must define your expectations, or you cannot expect the FO to meet them.

Click click click. T/O power set.

look over yup you idiot you did hear it click.

plus it gives you a nice pretty t/o in green over the n1.

TonyC said:
However you do it, you must define your expectations, or you cannot expect the FO to meet them.

Truer words were never spoken. But, what does your company ops manual or POM say about something as routine as setting TO power ? You wouldn't think something that basic would require a lot of "policy", but considering the consequences of any confusion about who does what nearing V1, it's worth a bit of flt ops management's attention re training and policy.

As an example, ours said, "The captain will have his hand on the top portion of the throttles until V1 since the decision to reject or continue rests with him." You can still keep your hand in a position to stop while your partner fine tunes( if he loses a finger in the abort...he loses a finger). You wouldn't want to get near/beyond V1 with the FO's hands, and not yours, on the throttles.

If he spends an inordinate amount of attention on that, how much is he devoting to backing you up on the airspeed/callouts as you near V1 ?

As usual, everything TonyC said is dead on.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back