Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My "pilot Deviation" At Dfw (don't Do This)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Crap, it's funny you guys/gals brought this up. Today we departed MIA on the Hiley1(I'm probably wrong on the spelling/departure but whatever) and tower gave us an initial heading off of 8R of 090 and to contact departure. I was the PF, and the Capt' checked in.
Us- "MIA departure XXX checking in 1500 for 5000"
MIA Dep- "XXX where are you guys going?"
Us- "We were told to fly heading 090."
MIA Dep- "weren't you guys told the Hiley1 Dep?"
Us- "Yes, but we were given a heading of 090."

It's only 3 degrees of the Departure, but are we in the wrong?
The controller began a rant of how we need to communicate better and understand what the actual clearance is. Apparently airspace is very tight there and the slightest deviation is a big deal. And I can understand that but we were told to fly heading 090. I think that after you cross 520' you are suppose to be on the RNAV departure. They didn't tell us to call a number or anything, but the Capt' was nervous/paranoid.

Just out of curiousity I looked this up, and there isn't even an RNAV departure for MIA. There is a HILEY RNAV arrival. Unless things have changed since I last went there (which has been several years), everyone is given the MIA 9. The MIA 9 specifically says at the top that all aircraft are to climb on heading as assigned by ATC.

Last edited:
At my airline we recently changed our SOP to verify the correct runway and first waypoint when the FO checks to make sure the FMS is in Auto-tune. I hear the change was due to a number of mistakes like this one. I agree that DFW should verify the first waypoint like they do at other airports and maybe cut back the number of departures. Do they really need one for every day of the month?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps because the load has been shifted from controllers to pilots with these new departures, and clearance delivery is not courteous enough to assign a runway with the clearance, the following procedure should be adopted by all pilots operating at airports where departure runways are not assigned by clearance delivery, and SID's of these types are in use...

Upon issuance of taxi instructions by ground, the crew will respond, instead of with the expected taxi clearance, but with the phrase "standby".

The crew will then set the parking brake, set and verify the correct routing is programmed into the FMS. Once this task is completed to the satisfaction of both crewmembers, the crew will read back the taxi instructions to the controller, and proceed with their taxi.

I suspect strict adherence to the above procedure would put a quick end to this scenario.

Great Advice!!

Once the FAA/airlines realize that it's taking waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too long for people to get off the ground, they'll change things to a casual "bitch out on the freq" and turn on course! What's the point of making a big stink? Nobody wins.

In future, I'll be asking the cappy to pull over/stop, while we BOTH verify runway/fixes.

Just out of curiousity I looked this up, and there isn't even an RNAV departure for MIA. There is a HILEY RNAV arrival. Unless things have changed since I last went there (which has been several years), everyone is given the MIA 9. The MIA 9 specifically says at the top that all aircraft are to climb on heading as assigned by ATC.

Naw man, they have several Departures out of MIA now.

Any chance of the company (training department) stepping in on your behalf and asking the FAA to allow you guys to turn it into some Recurrent Ground School learning moment?

I've heard of this happening at ASA, and as a result the FAA has been easy on the offending crew.

Great learning experience. Thanks for standing up and sharing. Just an SOP note, after the unfortunate comair accident, our company established a takeoff brief that we are required to do shortly before taking the runway. At first, it seemed like a lot of overkill, but it only takes literally 6 or 7 seconds to do. It includes a verification of the runway in use and the runway in the FMC, the departure SID, flap setting, V2 speed, and automation (LNAV/VNAV, or HDG, etc). It has saved me once after a runway change of making sure the correct departure was in there (that same departure we had wx issues, mx prob, and delays so there was a lot on the plate). something to consider suggesting to add to SOP's.

There but for the grace of God go I.

I can remember in Ground School during the FMS training we were told to put in the expected runway. But if you end up at another runway it's not really a big deal. When you hit the TOGA buttons, it's going to update where you are anyway. Guess RNAV departures put the lie to that.

Good luck,

This isn't a matter of the FMS not knowing where you are, it is because the first fix is different for each runway. If you load the wrong runway you will go to the wrong fix. Yes, pressing TOGA updates the FMS, but knowing where you are doesn't stop you from flying to the wrong fix.

Any chance of the company (training department) stepping in on your behalf and asking the FAA to allow you guys to turn it into some Recurrent Ground School learning moment?

I've heard of this happening at ASA, and as a result the FAA has been easy on the offending crew.

This happened to me 6 years ago at my old regional.

ATC kept us high and fast on approach. Then we were cleared for an ILS, even though we were already full-scale high on the GS. Our mistake was that we accepted that clearance and weren't stabilized because we figured the weather was good enough to break out at about 2000ft above mins. We broke out but were way too high to make a straight-in landing. We wound up asking for and doing an overhead and landed uneventfully. Still, ATC turned us in, and the FAA got involved.

No letter in the file, but because captain was still under baby mins, and I just broke my 100 hours in type at the time, we had to do some stabilized approach training and a training flight. No letters in our file, nothing from the company, just some extra training.

It does happen.

This happened to me 6 years ago at my old regional.

ATC kept us high and fast on approach. Then we were cleared for an ILS, even though we were already full-scale high on the GS. Our mistake was that we accepted that clearance and weren't stabilized because we figured the weather was good enough to break out at about 2000ft above mins. We broke out but were way too high to make a straight-in landing. We wound up asking for and doing an overhead and landed uneventfully. Still, ATC turned us in, and the FAA got involved.

No letter in the file, but because captain was still under baby mins, and I just broke my 100 hours in type at the time, we had to do some stabilized approach training and a training flight. No letters in our file, nothing from the company, just some extra training.

It does happen.

You did the right thing by abandoning the approach and still got called out on it? Thats pretty bad.

Latest resources

Back