Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My "pilot Deviation" At Dfw (don't Do This)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The FAA's beef was that we initially accepted the clearance, and by doing so, not being able to get on a "stabilized approach."

It was definitely a learning experience.

At FRA there are 38 pages of SIDS and STARS and they are usually tossed at you on your first contact with Frankfurt when you are then cleard to the first fix.

But if you can type 70wpm you are in good shape.

thanks crashpad,

The controller also told me on the phone that they have had 70 other deviations like this one since Jan 1 07, and that "something needs to be done" she said.

-Goo

I fly light twins in the midwest in the middle of the night, so the most complex departure procedure i get is when they give me a different departure freq than clearance did, so i can't relate much to your original post, but i echo everyone's thoughts that its nice to know there are pilots who are willing to share their mistakes to help others... here's my two cents about what the controller told you on the phone though. I just this morning heard a controller tell a king air something similar and it really bothers me. The king air was departing off a tower controlled field while the tower was closed. I didn't catch what the exact problem was, but the gist was that somewhere in the process of him picking up his clearance, departing, and making the transition to talk to departure, something was unsafe/incorrect/just not right about the way the system was set up. he told this to the controller and the responce was "yeah, we get that all the time, it needs changed. you could file a NASA or call, i dunno, someone." my beef with that is that the king air pilot was most likely not local so it could have been the first and only time he'll deal with that particular system error. The controller sees it every time it happens and he's trying to tell the pilot to get ahold of someone to complain about it. why don't the controllers take a few minutes and voice a concern about these things? I'm sure the FAA would take a quicker/more indepth look at problems when ATC starts saying its wrong.

I like what Skyboy1981 suggested. Why not give us a freaking runway assignment when we call for clearance? Then the FO can be looking outside during the taxi out. We don't need to load our 200 hr FO's up any more than we have to. Or better yet, why doesn't the FAA make it mandatory to complete the taxi checklist prior to taxi like Southwest? Would Comair have crashed in LEX had the FO been looking outside? Who knows. This $hit has got to stop. Just my $0.02. Thanks for the post Inthegoo.

I agree with Skyboy as well. We should be like the Canadians. You always get the runway assignment in Canada when you talk to clearance delivery.

Last edited:
PRIA Info

Just FYI for your own knowledge..

Administrative Action on your certificate does not just go into another "folder" somewhere and get buried. The Enforcement Investigation Record is recorded permenantly in your airman records and the actual Administrative Sanction is recorded for two years. I am not familiar with PRIA details, however, I do know that even if PRIA only reports Certificate Action on the FAA airman report from OKC, the record of the Enforecement Investigation and outcome is recorded in your file indefinately. This info is public info and Air Carriers are entitled to it upon request. Large Carriers have very open lines of communications with their Certificate Management Offices and Principals.

Be Very Careful when Asked that question, and for the guy above who thinks he did it to himself by admitting to guilt, don't be so sure to know that you did it to yourself...You might have done the right thing by telling the truth despite the interview outcome.

Latest resources

Back