Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My "pilot Deviation" At Dfw (don't Do This)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is it with the culture at DFW????

Was there an RA? Did you come close to one?

At RAH there have been a few DFW problems, to the point that we are paranoid about RNAVs. It seems that these guys at DFW are all about violations, yet when they screw up we don't hear anything about it.

How come ORD has 1 departure - OHARE1, yet ATL and DFW have a bunch?

Was there an RA? Did you come close to one?

At RAH there have been a few DFW problems, to the point that we are paranoid about RNAVs. It seems that these guys at DFW are all about violations, yet when they screw up we don't hear anything about it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see ORD get a few RNAV departures, they just got the RNAV arrivals for no reason so the departures probably aren't too far behind.

We've even heard that DFW TWR/TRACON has been pursuing violations for guys comind up on the wrong departure frequency!!!! What the Fu{k!!!!! What the heck FAR is that a violation of?!?!?! True, we should all be able to get the correct frequency off our plates/PDC's as appropriate, but still!!!! Certificate action?!?!? C'mon now!!

On that same note, it may be a long while before we see them in NY, because there are so many variables involved with the vector departures as there are for each indivdual airport, based on the winds and what the other 2 airports are doing in terms or DEPs/ARVs. To come up with a comprehensive set of RNAV SIDs/STARs for NYC would be something of a logistical nightmare I would think. 30 different RNAV SIDs/STARs for each individual airport would be my prediction.

We all make mistakes, but you are a true aviator to share it with your fellow pilots. Thank you.

thanks crashpad,

and no there was no RA, in fact the supervisor controller even told me on the phone that there were no other a/c for miles, it was quite quiet at the time launching off DFW, that was actually part of the problem, we got to the rwy so fast and there was no waiting and the controller said "are you ready?" and we of course took the bait, and well you know the rest...... I kicked myself all the way to ORD,

The controller also told me on the phone that they have had 70 other deviations like this one since Jan 1 07, and that "something needs to be done" she said.

-Goo

So for you guys that fly out of DFW and ATL regularly I'm curious as to what they have been doing lately. Last time I was in DFW they were giving you the SID and tower would assign no heading so you just fly the SID. In ATL they were doing it differently. Tower assigned heading followed by "direct XYZ fix" issued by departure. Is this still the case or has ATL gone to a more DFW style where you just get cleared for takeoff and fly the SID? I have not been out of either of these airports in quite some time. Everytime I'm given one of these SID's at ATL or DFW it seems something different is going on. DFW seems to stick to what it published on the plates, except they don't use the monitor frequency for fix verification. In ATL they seem to deviate the most from the published because tower assigns a heading. The ATL scenario is easier however for someone like myself who doesn't go through there much it contrasts what we expect based on what we read on the plates.

Inthegoo, thanks for sharing. I hope it all works out well for you. I'm sure it will.

Last edited:
I had that happen once. They changed us from the north side to the south side. I selected 27R and went through the fixes but NEVER pushed execute; yes even with the big dashed line next to the solid line on the MFD. We missed it. Speed mode..nav mode...why is this thing turning the wrong way? I had a terrible sinking feeling. The tower immediately called to verify we were going to the first fix on the so and so departure. We verified both then realized what happened. Doh. Noting ever happened but there was not much talking for the rest of the day.

thanks crashpad,

and no there was no RA, in fact the supervisor controller even told me on the phone that there were no other a/c for miles, it was quite quiet at the time launching off DFW, that was actually part of the problem, we got to the rwy so fast and there was no waiting and the controller said "are you ready?" and we of course took the bait, and well you know the rest...... I kicked myself all the way to ORD,

The controller also told me on the phone that they have had 70 other deviations like this one since Jan 1 07, and that "something needs to be done" she said.

-Goo

Supposedly, there was another one recently that went no where for the crew. The DFW FAA interviewed the crew and took the info back to ATC for recommendations. Good Luck and thanks for sharing!

Sharing your experience may save someone else from the truama you have experienced. In this instance, YOUR POST gives "flightinfo.com" some real value to me and the others that will benefit from your experience! CRM can come in many forms! It takes character to realize and acknowledge a mistake! Hang in there as "every adversity is the seed to an equal or greater benefit to those who maintain a positive mental attitude." Confession is good especially when the intent is to help others! Now, keep your chin up, hold your head high, and move on down the airway! No metal was bent, no one was hurt, and no money was lost!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps because the load has been shifted from controllers to pilots with these new departures, and clearance delivery is not courteous enough to assign a runway with the clearance, the following procedure should be adopted by all pilots operating at airports where departure runways are not assigned by clearance delivery, and SID's of these types are in use...

Upon issuance of taxi instructions by ground, the crew will respond, instead of with the expected taxi clearance, but with the phrase "standby".

The crew will then set the parking brake, set and verify the correct routing is programmed into the FMS. Once this task is completed to the satisfaction of both crewmembers, the crew will read back the taxi instructions to the controller, and proceed with their taxi.

I suspect strict adherence to the above procedure would put a quick end to this scenario.

Latest resources

Back