Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My "pilot Deviation" At Dfw (don't Do This)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There but for the grace of God go I.

I can remember in Ground School during the FMS training we were told to put in the expected runway. But if you end up at another runway it's not really a big deal. When you hit the TOGA buttons, it's going to update where you are anyway. Guess RNAV departures put the lie to that.

Good luck,

Last edited:
I did the ASAP , asap but you will still probably get a LOC.

I am certain that if you fill out an air carrier ASAP and it is accepted in a non sole source then the FAA can issue one of three things...letter of correction, warning notice or letter of no action. But the are not viewable by anyone other than you or the FAA. PIRA can't get access to them. The letters are all in a separate "folder".

I've brought this up with our chief pilot numerous times about why they can't be like Atlanta was and remind pilots by asking them to state the first fix...
He said they did a study and found that it was unnecessary...even though people keep busting it.

Leave it to good old texas stuborness to not be liberal enough to accept that. Instead they have their 2 inches of Jepp plates, 100 SIDS and Stars when ORD has just 1 SID, and feel that it's their way or the highway.

Everything sure is bigger in texas, including stupidity.

Completely honest mistake. Mistakes like these is what the ASAP program is all about. Good luck to you sir.

HEY Arctic

There but for the grace of God go I.

I can remember in Ground School during the FMS training we were told to put in the expected runway. But if you end up at another runway it's not really a big deal. When you hit the TOGA buttons, it's going to update where you are anyway. Guess RNAV departures put the lie to that.

Good luck,

Yeah, if this is true arctic, then well the company cant really hang me out to dry, are you sure they said this? I think I might remember that also? send me a SWOL msg if you want to chat about it, I am #12418
thx!
-goo

I am certain that if you fill out an air carrier ASAP and it is accepted in a non sole source then the FAA can issue one of three things...letter of correction, warning notice or letter of no action. But the are not viewable by anyone other than you or the FAA. PIRA can't get access to them. The letters are all in a separate "folder".

True, the application asked about FAA administrative actions and even though they do not have access to the LOC I put it on the app anyway. They asked, I told and I screwed me. What can you do? Move on I guess.

How much would it be to ask that controllers just give an accurate runway to expect with the freakin clearance? That would eliminate half of these things. I mean, as someone else pointed out, we are doing our part to reduce their workload by flying these departures. It seems to me that the least they could do is give us upfront accurate runway information before we push from the gate that will allow us to set the thing up properly.

Last edited:
Crap, it's funny you guys/gals brought this up. Today we departed MIA on the Hiley1(I'm probably wrong on the spelling/departure but whatever) and tower gave us an initial heading off of 8R of 090 and to contact departure. I was the PF, and the Capt' checked in.
Us- "MIA departure XXX checking in 1500 for 5000"
MIA Dep- "XXX where are you guys going?"
Us- "We were told to fly heading 090."
MIA Dep- "weren't you guys told the Hiley1 Dep?"
Us- "Yes, but we were given a heading of 090."

It's only 3 degrees of the Departure, but are we in the wrong?
The controller began a rant of how we need to communicate better and understand what the actual clearance is. Apparently airspace is very tight there and the slightest deviation is a big deal. And I can understand that but we were told to fly heading 090. I think that after you cross 520' you are suppose to be on the RNAV departure. They didn't tell us to call a number or anything, but the Capt' was nervous/paranoid.

Crap, it's funny you guys/gals brought this up. Today we departed MIA on the Hiley1(I'm probably wrong on the spelling/departure but whatever) and tower gave us an initial heading off of 8R of 090 and to contact departure. I was the PF, and the Capt' checked in.
Us- "MIA departure XXX checking in 1500 for 5000"
MIA Dep- "XXX where are you guys going?"
Us- "We were told to fly heading 090."
MIA Dep- "weren't you guys told the Hiley1 Dep?"
Us- "Yes, but we were given a heading of 090."

It's only 3 degrees of the Departure, but are we in the wrong?
The controller began a rant of how we need to communicate better and understand what the actual clearance is. Apparently airspace is very tight there and the slightest deviation is a big deal. And I can understand that but we were told to fly heading 090. I think that after you cross 520' you are suppose to be on the RNAV departure. They didn't tell us to call a number or anything, but the Capt' was nervous/paranoid.

If they give you a heading with the takeoff clearance it voids any RNAV departure procedure at least until they clear you back to a fix that is on it. You were not in the wrong if it indeed happened as you described it.

Latest resources

Back