My Dream Job is Posted

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captain Morgan

For those of you looking for a job, check out the Ameriflight Pilot Employment page. There is a SA-227 Captain job opening in Louisville, and Cincinnati. If I already didn't have a job now, and I was sure my wife wouldn't kill me for leaving a job in this economy, I'd be all over it. I hope someone who is in real need get's it. They also have a EMB-120 FO posting in PR and CVG as well as a PA-31 in PDX and OAK I think. Good luck!

I put in for the Puerto Rico position, seeing how I already live here, but I have not heard squat. I know a very good guy that is looking for work in Louisville. What does he need to do to get noticed?

I put in for the Puerto Rico position, seeing how I already live here, but I have not heard squat. I know a very good guy that is looking for work in Louisville. What does he need to do to get noticed?

Honestly, I don't know since I have never worked for Ameriflight specifically. Nowadays, you probably need a shuttle rating but there was a girl that I had talked to in the past who had something to do with hiring. I was looking into it but couldn't do a commute to the west coast at that time (Marriage, house, etc.) I'll try and find her number though and PM you.

Dream Job indeed, it just looks too good to be true.
mmmmm yah......

"One man's trash is another man's treasure..." I don't know if you've flown single pilot freight in small piston or turboprop aircraft but if you try it, you just might like it.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure..." I don't know if you've flown single pilot freight in small piston or turboprop aircraft but if you try it, you just might like it.

Been there done that and hated it. Too dangerous! No one to back up approaches, flying VOR approaches with a VOR thats thirty miles from the airport, and having things written up all the time... No thanks.

Once you go freight, you'll never be late

I usually don't post but I had to chime in on this one.

I interviewed for this position, was offered a training date which I politely declined and heres why.

1. You are not based in CVG or SDF, you will most likely be on TDY the entire 3 weeks on as they are very short of pilots right now, you will be based in these cities on paper only...they own you for those 3 weeks with no guarantee of ever getting home.

2. The Metro program has a high washout rate, probably due to the fact that most candidates are lacking single pilot experience, combined with the fact the Metro is just a lot of airplane to handle by yourself. The issue I had here was the attitude of the company...they seemed proud of it and the difficulty of the overall program, almost like each failure in training was a notch on their belt.

3. First week of training is unpaid but you're lodging is taken care of. After that, Metro candidates are compensated at 63% of PIC pay until the checkride is done.

4. You must find your own way to the interview and for the the first week of training. For us east coasters thats an airline ticket and it can get a little expensive, I just thought this was a cheap move on the company's part.

5. You will be placed at the wonderful airport Ramada inn (double occupancy) for the first week of training, after that the company will provide travel to the sim, for Metro drivers this will be in Seattle BFI.

6. Business professional attire throughout training (yep..shirt and tie every day.) Also it is my understanding that you wear a shirt and tie on the line when flying. I thought this was funny and ridiculous.

I've flown for 2 different 135 freight haulers, and it was the most fun and rewarding experience I've ever had in aviation. Ameriflight seems to be doing all they can to make the training and work experience as unenjoyable as possible, hence the high turnover rate.

I personally know some people in mamagement at this company, and they are good people. If it came down to it I think they would do the right thing, and side with you if it hit the fan..but thats just my opinion.

I didn't like the corporate culture and some of their policies, considering that along with having a family I decided this was just not a viable option for me.

If you have only flown corporate or 121 (I've done both) 135 single pilot may not be for you, flying single pilot night IFR in the crap will positively eat your lunch if your not on your game. These guys/gals out here doing this type of flying night in night out are simply the best there is. Short of going to war...there is no environment that poses a greater challenge to a PIC...if your not good, your dead, I've seen it happen.

I hope this helps those of you who are considering this process if anyone has any other questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

3blade

the Metro is just a lot of airplane to handle by yourself.

Thanks for the candid post about Ameriflight. As a furloughed guy with 4800 hours in the Metro, it's one I've considered. But I don't think I want to go back to single-pilot in that airplane. My flying skills were at their sharpest during the years that I flew it. The challenge of the airplane plus the places/approaches we flew reinforced a high level of proficiency--or else!

Latest resources

Back