• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My Dream Job is Posted

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks 3Blade for the insight. I found it very good. In any case, I still would be interested in it because I love freight, but I'm sure someone out there needs a job and that's why I posted it in the first place. Perhaps the title of the post is misleading and it should of read, "job opening" instead.

Ameriflight

I think 3blades response was dead on about what ameriflight is about. Anyone interested in going there should read that post before considering going there.
They do pride themselves on washing out newhires.

2. The Metro program has a high washout rate, probably due to the fact that most candidates are lacking single pilot experience, combined with the fact the Metro is just a lot of airplane to handle by yourself. The issue I had here was the attitude of the company...they seemed proud of it and the difficulty of the overall program, almost like each failure in training was a notch on their belt.

As a successful candidate in the metro "program" I have to tell you that the failures are generally result of the training and not the candidates. I had the benefit of being a type rated pilot with airline training when I took a very similar job to the one that is posted. A lot of what I needed to know was not introduced to me by the trainers. They don't cover CRM even though most of the training is two pilot and they don't cover how to use outside resources. They just expect pilots with no experience outside their company to know about this stuff. How, I don't know.

3. First week of training is unpaid but you're lodging is taken care of. After that, Metro candidates are compensated at 63% of PIC pay until the checkride is done.

Don't forget you don't get one dollar for meals either. The double occupency at the Ramada is pathetic. No real operator would ever even consider such an unprofessional situation. Oh, and you have to have your own transportation to the training center.

6. Business professional attire throughout training (yep..shirt and tie every day.) Also it is my understanding that you wear a shirt and tie on the line when flying. I thought this was funny and ridiculous.

Why? Professional attire is something every pilot from cargo to Air Force One should wear.

Just to add some things, if anyone goes to AMF you need to know:

Never....and I mean never...use your own money for trip expenses. They don't always pay you back.

Don't expect to get the job you are offered. They will tell you what ever you want to hear to get you in the door and once you are there and your other job is gone, they will change the job offer and it is rarely for the better. Ask for a written job offer. They'll balk at it, but do it anyway.

Why? Professional attire is something every pilot from cargo to Air Force One should wear.

Oh really? So DC-3 pilots should wear ties with their oil stained white shirts and yellowed armpits from sweating while pushing pallets of steering knuckles up an incline because the winch broke?:rolleyes: How about an ag pilot? Are they not professionals? What is professional attire for them?:rolleyes:

I used to wear jeans, or khaki shorts with a polo shirt. I thought I looked pretty professional. I'm all for a uniform on pilots, but it has it's place. I don't think freight is one of them.

SA-227 Single Pilot Freight = Old School Flying.

Not for the faint of heart or those weaned off fancy dancy electronicized, EFIS'ed, FMS'ed, multi-crewed RJ's working out of major airports with all that operational and ATC infrastructure available.

Did the SA-227 Single Pilot Freight, the ones I flew were seriously clapped out, did not have an autopilot or FD in them. Hand flying right up to the 8 hour limit - fun.

Yes, the SA-227 single pilot type rating is not easy. Since our aircraft were not autopilot equipped the Designee gave the ride without use of autopilot or FD.

Have to say that it was very good experience. After flying in challenging conditions always made you feel like you really accomplished something.

Last edited:
My SA-227 experience was a while ago and I did NOT work for AMF. I met a bunch of their guys (you would always run into competing companies doing some of the same contracts) and from my understanding they dispatched with an operable AP. I believe it was an S-TEC model. Pretty basic system though.

Don't hold me to this - like I said I did not work for AMF.

Yes, all amf Metro's have installed autopilots, most of the fleet are basic STEC wings leveler/altitude holder... Some of those work really well, some well... Bring along a monkey and let him fly, he'll do better.... Expediter models typically have a FD/AP setup which are quite nice, work good, last long time...

What some people fail to understand is that when you are the one signing out the paycheck you can dictate what to wear, if you don't like it look someplace else, nobody likes it but come on, there re bigger things to complain about really... Plus atleast everyday I go to work I know what clothes i'm going to ruin, and honestly they are fairly cheap...

-Brian

Latest resources

Back