Multi time building

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptO'Brien

Hi i was considering saving up all summer to afford to do some multi time building at one of the flight schools that offers it for so cheap (like $60 an hour) whats the deal with these schools? how is it so cheap? is it looked down on by employers? ive heard that a couple people log time all in the same plane...hows that work? over all is doing this kinda thing really worth it? will it help me snag a multi job or will it just be a waste of my money? thanks..

i heard about one of these schools in florida called Ari-Ben Aviator. do a search here. what you do is you get a twin with another pilot for like 6 hours or something, and if you pay for 100 hours, you are safety pilot for 50hrs and actually flying for the other 50 hours. do a search here for Ari-Ben and go to www.pprune.org (i think that's the URL) and there's a whole section devoted to this topic.

pic, as long as one is "under" the hood, both can act as PIC as long as both have at least private in same cat. and class and a valid medical

Get experience in different types of aircraft if at all possible. This goes for the single engine as well as the multi. Different experiences will expand your knowledge and insight into flying and how aircraft perform.

Lets say you have 800 hours in a C152, 100 hours in an Arrow, and 100 hours in a Seminole. You meet the 1000/100 minimums.

Compare the knowledge you will have with 800 hours of single time in a combination of C140, C152, C172, Champ, cherokee 140, Warrior, Grumman, etc; 100 hours split between Arrow, RG, Mooney,etc; 100 hours in Duchess, Seminole, Seneca, Aztec, etc.

I do not know how it is perceived when interviewing if you fly just one type of plane. I know the benefits of flying different types of planes will greatly enhance your knowledge and understanding of CG, weight and balance, performance, systems, system failures, troubleshooting...

Most jobs want you to have 100 multi. So lets say you get all your ratings and you now have about 30 multi engine hours, 15 for multi commercial and 15 for MEI. Its next to impossible to find a flight school that has a multi engine airplane you can teach in. So now you have to pay for another 70 hours of multi time. 7000 bucks at 100 an hour and even if you split it with your buddy its hard to find 200 dollar multi time on the west cost. Lets face it we are all screwed only ritch people will become pro pilots - just like europe. I have had my MEI and have only logged 3 hours teaching multi.

Get the MEI and try to teach some multi.

You won't learn crap just tooling around with both engines turning.

If you MUST split time, do LOTS of one-engine approaches. A LOT of them.

I am hoping to to Ari ben's 50 multi time build in about a week. That will get me to about 125 multi. One nice thing about being an MEI is I can log it all dual given instead of safety pilot. Hopefully they will not have a problem with that. I plan to use the expierence to get my actual time up and knock the dust off my instrument procedures. Gonna be approach after approach.

Latest resources

Back