• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Multi time building

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Casper..im trying to find that post on the "rouge v. professional" and i cant whats it all about? another question for you...one more problem i have is that i am American/Canadian citizen and have done all my training in Canada...the rules and procedures are olmost identical between the United States and Canada but i was wondering what an employer would think about hiring a instructor that did all of his training in Canada except for the conversions and instructor ratings? The market in Canada for aviation has to be one of the worst in the world..all pilots end up working the ramp up north for a year or two getting paid welfare wages before moving into a flying position and getting even worse wages..not to mention this is up north in the freezing cold...i have flown down to the states quite a few times both IFR and VFR because i trained right on the boarder...i have recieved some advice on this but i am still contimplating saving up the money it will take to convert and deciding if it will be worth it for me to make the move down south (any where)...i dont want to pay for an instructor rating and have nobody want to hire me because i have mostly Canadian idents in my logbook...but i really want to move down south and live in the United States and i have allot of family that already does..thanks for your answers!

BushwickBill said:
MIts next to impossible to find a flight school that has a multi engine airplane you can teach in.

You're looking in the wrong places. I signed off a fellow MEI for his checkride and a week later he was instructing in our barons (58). I wanna say he had around 25-30 multi TOTAL.

I worked at 2 other flight schools before I finally found one that was a keeper.

The school I was at before this one had no multi requirement to teach, just 200 dual given (in singles first). The school before that had no twin (hence why I moved on :)).

~wheelsup

man captainO'.... i don't know the first thing about conversion of canadian credentials to FAA.

i do know that all other things being equal, if you have an F double A issued CFI, and are otherwise legally able to work in the US, i (as a potential employer) would give no special or additional consideration to that fact that the majority of your flying was done in canada. now, if you had been flying in let's say... france, well that is a different story! seriously, i don't work for or own a flight school, and am not in a position to hire cfi's, but i have run two flight schools in my "career," and don't think that your canadian flight hours would be frowned upon by a potential employer.

best of luck to you and bwbill

yea i have found out how to convert my licenses (its very easy since eveything is so similar) and i am unrestricted to work in the United States...i just dont want to spend money buying an instructor rating and then find out its no use because i didnt do the majority of my flying in the United states...i will eventually live and work in the united states but i just want to start my career in aviation down there because up here its just a joke...Tossing bags for less than minimum wage for two years for a not always promised flight position...anyhow thanks for your imput i appreciate your help..im sure whatever i decide i will make it...i always seem to find a way :p

Captain O' B,

Bro Im laughing my ass off because when I was in Canada I wanted to work up there because of all the opportunity for young pilots who wouldn't mind flying bush. I guess the grass is greener. Best of luck to you.

And thanks Casper19,

Seriously being told not to be a winer is cool. I dont mind. I just feel like it isn't fair that people can buy seats at the airlines while I slog away in a 152.

BushwickBill said:
Seriously being told not to be a winer is cool. I dont mind. I just feel like it isn't fair that people can buy seats at the airlines while I slog away in a 152.
It wasn't that long ago (relatively) that I was slogging around in a 152. Now I have a better job than any of my airline buddies (including captains). Keep your chin up!

Bushwick..times must have changed since you were up here cause people are working for free pratically and getting treated like crap flying planes in the bush...my one buddy works near the artic circle flying natives around in a 207 for $3 dollars an hour!! and he gets millage but it isnt very much he said even if he maxed out on it he wouldnt even make min wage (the opperation he works for is extremely sketchy)...i have talked to a couple people down in the US whom have converted and are making more than they would in the same position in Canada...also if you go on a Canadian forum like this one most people talk about not having jobs or how hard it is to get a job...on here ppl mostly talk about which are the better jobs..im pretty sure the grass is truly greener down south...otherwise i would definately save the money and get my ATPL up here and convert...only prob is i wouldnt get enough hours for my ATPL for awhile because i would be working the ramp forever. Out of 5 friends that just finished training 4 are working the ramp and the one i mentioned above only got that position because he has 1300 hours on a cessna because he owns his own!! Anyhow i just want to do whats best so yea believe me i am willing to do what it takes i am more than willing to work in the bush to earn my time i just want to use my dual citizenship to my advantage...

bushwkr, you're not whining, the situation IS really screwed up.

CaptO'Brien said:
...i have talked to a couple people down in the US whom have converted and are making more than they would in the same position in Canada...also if you go on a Canadian forum like this one most people talk about not having jobs or how hard it is to get a job...on here ppl mostly talk about which are the better jobs..im pretty sure the grass is truly greener down south...

I totally agree with this. I did a few years of undergrad at a college with a good aviation program in Canada and bolted first chance I had for the USA. Though I still love my home and native land, (and return regularly for my 'double-double' fix at Tim's) the aviation job market is night and day to how it is here in the Southland. No comparison.

Latest resources

Back