Multi time building post

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
agpilot34 said:
Honestly, this place is unf#cking believable sometimes.

It is. We actually have people justifying the idea of working for less than free.

ePilot22 said:
I think it's your attitude, not this place!

First, you should be thankful that someone was willing to "ride around in the right seat of a duchess, toodling around the practice area" with you! Thank your MEI! He or she put forth an effort you apparently are NOT willing to do.
eP.

My MEI was an older gentleman that had a little over 12,000 hrs of multi time. He instructed part time because he wanted to, not because he had to. Dont think I ever said I would not be WILLING to instruct... I simply CHOSE not to. And just in case you're wondering, I paid FULL price for my multi rating and all the multi time I've gotten since (with the exception of some Seneca time I occasionally get for free)... $175/hr for a Seminole, and a bit more than that for the 310R. Got a little under 200 hours of multi time now, so you do the math. Paying to work somewhere? Sorry, but for the wage they pay you guys to instruct, you might as well be paying them.

Nothing wrong with my attitude at all, bud. What gets on my nerves is a bunch of self righteous a$$holes that look down their little noses at ANYONE who even THINKS about getting some time by ANY other means than how THEY did it. Bottom line is, it's THEIR decision, not yours, mine, or anyone elses. If you dont agree with it, fine, that's your God given right. But stop chastizing these guys by acting like your $hit doesnt stink and they are scum sucking bottom dwellers just because they CHOSE not to spend endless amounts of time trying to build 100 hours of multi time by instructing. That first 100 hours of multi time is hard to come by for most. It's expensive, even more so now with fuel prices like they are. The instructors that hold MEI around here that I know have told me several times that their ratio of single instruction to multi instruction is around 10:1... 10 hours of instructing in the 152 or 172 for every 1 hour of instructing in a multi. That's 100 hours of bouncing around in the right seat of a Skyhawk for every precious hour they get to spend in the right seat of a Duchess. Doesnt get much better at a 141 school (when I went to Spartan, they had TWO Duchesses in the whole school), unless you are lucky enough to get on with a school that specializes in multi training, like ATPS or someone like that. Even then, you will spend a bunch of time in the singles as opposed to the multis. Paying your dues? Please, grow up! Never have I seen ANY regulation in the FAR's, or anything in the AIM, or anything in ANY company's hiring guidelines that say "an airman must have spent X amount of time "paying his dues" before he can work for this company" Dude, this isn't the music business in Nashville. Honestly, if this program had been around right after I got my multi, I would have jumped on it in a heartbeat. Would have saved me about 10 grand over the course of a few years. If that would have made me a "pft whore", then put my a$$ on the streetcorner. I would have laughed at you guys all the way to the bank with the money I saved. The bottom line is, YOU GUYS are the only ones that care where a guy gets his time at. The employers who are hiring do not, as long as you meet the minimums and are capable. But, hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Last edited:
Ok, try this.....

Agpilot34,

I don't know what to tell you man. If YOU can't understand it then try this....

Find a nice solid concrete wall, stand 10ft away, lower your head and run towards it. Repeat several times or until unconscious.

Have fun, BUD!

BTW, you're right! PFTers aren't whores! A whore wouldn't pay to have sex! PFTers are johns/janes, keep in mind they are paying for something that is free.

And it is YOUR attitude!

eP.

I understand just fine what your saying. Just dont agree with it. If that indicates a problem with MY attitude, so be it. There's a big difference between respectfully disagreeing with someone's decisions, and chastizing them to the point they feel like if they make that choice, they are lower than $hit and dont deserve to be in the business. Some of you Joe superpilots that are so quick to spurn someone's choices need to learn that. (not necessarily directed at you)

ill repeat myself one more time... but this is the last comment on the issue for me...

Incase you missed my previous posts... i do not agree with pft or even pay for work... outfits like gulfstream...air cargo carriers.... etc etc... not a fan... in these places...one is paying (lots of) thousands of dollars to buy a job... that they could eventually have after a few years of instructing and paying dues...

in the case of the 3,500 dollars for the multi time... this is a wise business decision if you are going to pay for 100 hours somewhere... hmm... am i going to travel anywhere in the united states to rent an airplane at 4 times the cost of what i could get it somewhere else? no... i am not... i do not care what you or anyone else says... if you would pay more money for the same 100 hours somewhere else out of the goodness of your heart (for the sake of the industry) then so be it... you are bigger than me...

epilot.... before you start drawing conclusions... please focus on the topic before you... we are talking about multi time...and the means to build multi time... when one does not have sufficient multi time to get on the insurance... they are IN ESSENCE.... STUCK flying the singles... this does not mean i do not enjoy it... crap man... i used to work line service dumping poopers... i will gladly bounce around in a single all day...and dont speak to me about preparation... you dont know me...

The third option of course is to get a job that does not require 100 hours of multi. I listed several companies earlier that do this, and those didn't take much effort to find.

MAS, if the companies you listed above have a PFT program, then they are no better than this multi engine deal. However, most people have the basic intelligence to realize that paying for time while working for a company is still paying for work. Even if it's a temp job.

...?

MAS said:
epilot.... before you start drawing conclusions... please focus on the topic before you... we are talking about multi time...and the means to build multi time... when one does not have sufficient multi time to get on the insurance... they are IN ESSENCE.... STUCK flying the singles... this does not mean i do not enjoy it... crap man... i used to work line service dumping poopers... i will gladly bounce around in a single all day...and dont speak to me about preparation... you dont know me...

MAS...rationalize anything you want...it only makes sense...to you...the multi time...we...are talking about...is hurting our industry...what's with all the...

I never claimed...to know you...did I?

...eP...

NOTE: 135 IFR Mins does NOT require mutli time! RamAir actually prefers low-time multi pilots. Ya know....they PAY their pilots to fly...too.

ePilot22,

In the past I followed an interesting thread you started about the life of a regional airline pilot and your aspirations. If you want, PM me, and maybe I can help fill in a few of your questions, as that's what I do now, for a "respectable" company. The thread was very constructive for anyone considering a future in the trade.

Many are dismayed at the downward spiral of respect/QOL/pay etc. at the regionals and in the pilot trade as a whole. Sadly, I personally think it's a reflection of our capitalist society, supply and demand. I HONESTLY think the senior people in our trade had the advantage of being at the right place at the right time. The schools such as the one in Oklahoma you went to for your CFI training market the life of a pilot as a desirable one, and therefore benifit from it.

It's clear you like to fly, and you've said so in the past. Actually, I still do too. In fact, it's something (among other things), I do in my time off, still instructing. It's important for future airmen to admit to themselves, the future is not likely to be as rosey as the past. If you're in it for the money, you've made a poor choice, just like a teacher, Catholic priest, or some other "noble" profession.

Let me ask you a question. Would your opinion of my choice be different if I had pumped more gas (my main source of income at the time), and bought the time as a rental @ $130/hr?

A rational person cannot justify the cost of training for the pay of a regional carrier. If you don't mind my asking, how have you paid for your flight training to date, and has it been a cost effective for your income now? Do you believe you believe you'll make enough at a regional to make your choice a "wise" one, or is dependent on making it to the $$ of a major. Did the school you went to lead you to believe that training with them was a smart and cost effective way to a better job? They probably did, and I would disagree with the conclusions they came to, as they profit based on the choice you make as a customer, not your final outcome.

agpilot34, I've met several pilots in your trade with over 20,000 hrs doing thankless, hazardous work. My hat's off to you. BTW, where's the "34" come from?

Same question to epilot22. Is the "22" birthday inspired?

Respectfully,

Lilah

PS. epilot22, was your suggestion inspired by a certain Warron Zevon song? If you haven't heard it, I suggest downloading "Ain't that pretty at all", it's one of my favorites... ;)

PPS. I did have an app in with RamAir at the time, and a connection through a former pilot...it didn't help....

Last edited:
Nice Post!

Lilah,

Lilah said:
It's important for future airmen to admit to themselves, the future is not likely to be as rosey as the past.

Isn't that the truth!!!

Lilah said:
Would your opinion of my choice be different if I had pumped more gas (my main source of income at the time), and bought the time as a rental @ $130/hr?

Sorry to answer a question with one, but...

Would you rather take a PAYING job from a qualified pilot that has the time, knowledge and skill to be PAID to fly? The cost comes from somewhere, that's all I'm saying. Everything has a price (a full price)!

If a customer wanted premium gas for the cost of regular would you have pumped it for them? Multi time cost big $$$ for a reason!

EDIT: even better, what if someone else offered to PAY your boss for the opportunity to pump gas for them? Now how would you gain experience pumping gas OR PAY the bills?

It doesn't make sense...........PAYING TO WORK! "You" are paying to do a job! Building time is a result of that job, not the benefit.

Lilah said:
If you don't mind my asking, how have you paid for your flight training to date, and has it been a cost effective for your income now?

Not at all! I've worked, construction to corporate jobs. 40hrs a week! Mommy and Daddy DON'T have the money. I drive a POS car and have made many sacrifices and I'm willing to make more. If I want a nice income and big house, cars and all the other stuff, I'd stay right where I'm at now, but "I'd Rather Be Flying"!

Lilah said:
Same question to epilot22. Is the "22" birthday inspired?

Yep! The 22nd day of September!

Again, nice post! I may take you up on the offer to PM, thanks.

eP.

NOTE: the "e" is because I work at a company the does electronic charting, well, really all types of charting!

Last edited:
Lilah,

Yup, the 34 was my age when I started posting here. Thanks for the words of appreciation. I dont fly ag anymore, I fly pipeline patrol now, and have for several years, so I have a good idea of what these guys down in Houston do. Honestly, the allure of the regionals escapes me totally. Why would anyone want to bust their butt building time and ratings, instructing for years or whatever, to go to a regional airline as an FO, and make less money than an assistant manager at McDonalds? Just to say "Hey, I fly a jet and get to wear a uniform"? It is really sad the way these guys get treated. I made more money and had better benefits my FIRST year horsing a Skylane around flying pipeline patrol than one of my best friends does after flying for FOUR YEARS with ASA!! Guess I'm lucky, I make good money and still get to actually "fly" for a living.

Latest resources

Back