Multi time building post

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Epilot,

This is off topic, but did you get your stuff done before the Airman bunch skipped town? I used to go in their pilot shop once in a while when I needed something. Seemed like a busy place.

Airman used to be very big, twice as large as they were before they shut down. After 9-11 they down-sized dramatically. CFI classes got smaller and smaller as time went on.

My Story

Ok, this I have no problem taking about...

I started flying at Jefferson County Airport (BJC), Colorado in June 2001. At the age of 21. I enrolled at Metro State College of Denver for a BS in aviation technology. My first flight instructor, who earned his private pilot at BJC, but went to Airman (early 2000) for his Inst, Comm (SE and ME) CFI and CFII, told me not to get a degree in aviation. So I changed to Finance. I finished my private in Feb 2002. I started my instrument shorty after that, but my instructor was hired full time at Jeppesen and stopped instructing (Jepp is a pilot boneyard!) I continued to fly as a private pilot for the simple fact that I had a certificate, but I didn't continue with my instrument rating. I flew regularly (once or twice a month) until April 2003. I stopped flying. No money, time and a lack of progress began killing my interest. I was hired at Jeppesen in March 2004 as an intern and began flying again in May 2004. Since then I've earned my Instrument, Comm (SEL and MEL) and MEI at Jeffco. The multi ratings were added Aug. 7th and Dec. 4th respectively.

Airman was recommended to me by my first instructor. He went there when they were a brand name for a reason. I went from May 23rd to June 24 of this year. About a month after I left Airman went under. I was at Airman at the end of its life. Great or good aren't terms I'd use to discribe it at that point, althought the people I met were GREAT! But I finished my ME Comm. and MEI back home.

I have about a year left of school, so in the mean time I will instruct and take advantage of opportunities to build my KNOWLEGDE and EXPERIENCE along with my time.

I currently work at Jeppesen, it pays well and that is why pilots stay here. I'd rather be flying, broke and poor than rich, fat and unhappy! Just my opinion for my life! Ha! You can't argue that!!! Now I might in ten years, but for now it works!

I did post a question in the REGIONAL forum about life in the Airlines. My friends and fellow aviators (roughly the same time as myself) are interested in going that route, so I asked the question. Myself, I'm interested in flying freight. SPIFR! I want a challenge. I want to challenge my skill and ability and I don't think I can do that with a regional carrier, again my opinion!

So that's where I'm at now. I will continue to fly, instruct (I have three students) and progress forward.

I enjoy FlightInfo (and the "other" forum). The loss of a friend is what brought me here and with it so close to a year now I'd like to end this with a thanks.

Paul, THANK YOU! You are in our hearts and memories!

eP.

How about your stories?

"I'd rather be flying, broke, and poor, than rich, fat, and unhappy..."

Dude, you and I have a LOT in common in that statement!! I'm lucky enough to have a seat that pays well, and is good flying, but even if I didnt have it, I'd still rather be flying than anything else. I'd much rather be poor and look forward to going to work everyday, than have lots of money and dread every day at the office. Contrary to what alot of people have been conditioned to think, money IS NOT everything in life!

ePilot22 said:
.... if you CAN'T, WON'T understand that or agree, so be it. I'm sorry for YOUR lack of value(s)
No, you're sorry that somebody else's values aren't the same as yours.

Savings Account

gfvalvo said:
No, you're sorry that somebody else's values aren't the same as yours.

Save your $.02 and invest it somewhere else.

eP.

ePilot22 said:
Save your $.02 and invest it somewhere else.

eP.
With Mesaba FO's looking at taking a 19% pay cut, I don't think I'd be in a big hurry to spend money to buy a job.

I couldn't believe I accepted a position with them when take home pay was 500.00 every two weeks and the economy was better...now stuff costs more and they are going to have their FO's working for 400.00 every two two weeks take home.

My first CFI job was 26,000.00 a year back in 94...almost comfortable living.

My first 135 position paid 35,000.00 a year in Aztecs and Senecas.

My second 135 position started me out at 32,750.00 with only 10 work days a month, no weekends, no rons, no holidays, no pushing bad planes, no pushing bad wx.

You get what you pay for in this industry and you get paid what you are worth. If you are worth nothing, you pay to work.

I never felt more abused as when I looked at those paychecks from XJ and realized I was never going to make it financially on 1,000 a month take home.

On a side note, I built my multi time by buying a twin with partners. It cost money, but my day job employer reimbursed me for every hour we flew in my twin for company purposes. Would I recommend buying a twin? Depends. Is buying a twin to log time the same as buying time? Depends.

When I flew outside of my day job, I flew where I wanted to go and with whom I wanted to fly. Those trips with friends and family are memories the time builder paying to fly pipline patrol will never be able to share with their passengers years up the road...unless they gay marry the guy they flew them with.

Last edited:
Hmm... Pretty bad when the baggage handlers and line guys make more take home than the friggin FO on the jet. $400 every two weeks? Are you serious? Hell, you might as well be paying them to fly, if that's what the pay is.

I couldn't say it any better!

FN FAL!

FN FAL said:
You get what you pay for in this industry and you get paid what you are worth. If you are worth nothing, you pay to work.

EXACTLY! You hit the nail :smash: on the head!

FN FAL said:
Those trips with friends and family are memories the time builder paying to fly pipline patrol will never be able to share with their passengers years up the road...unless they gay marry the guy they flew them with.

HAHAHAHAHA! :laugh:

I don't think "gay" and "pipeline patrol" should be used in the same sentence. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay. Just don't pay to fly the pipeline patrol! :erm:

eP.

:D that's just it e-pilot, my buying in with partners on a twin could be consdered the same as renting or paying for time at this pipline job...or maybe not.

Getting multi time can be biatch. It was a lot of work owning a twin with a couple of crooks. Id say that my 270 hours of C-320 time cost me about 10,000.00 bucks out of pocket. However, my employer paid my salary while I flew on company business...so maybe my multi time really cost less than 10K.

Needless to say, that's how I was able to get a job that started out in the mid thirties flying piston twins in 135 pax operations. My first 135 checkouts were Seneca, Aztec and C-310 R. We did my first 135 ride in the C-310 R and it was just like being at home. Before I knew it, I was in the 414, 340 and Navajo. Right seating in the Citation came soon after that and of course King Air F90/B100 and Conquest FO trips were thrown at me all the time as well.

On the right seat t-prop spots, all of them were insurance requirement flights...but they paid the same as my piston PIC flying. 150 a day plus 400 a month base...medical, dental, vacation, perdiem.

Latest resources

Back