• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MSNBC: A CAL captain just died in flight. Plane making an emergency landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The F.O. says that he thought the Capt. was sleeping. The question that the FAA will ask is how long did you let the Capt. "sleep" before you tryed to wake him or suspected something was wrong? They're going to want to know why did you let another crew member violate FAR's and sleep? Then the wife will sue claiming negligence cause if the F.O. followed FAR's and tryed to wake the Capt. right away maybe he could of been saved.

Last edited:
After reading lots of post on two or three sites what I find pretty funny is all these folks discussing medical issues and 99% couldn't have gotten to within 100 miles of a medical school admission...LOL

The F.O. says that he thought the Capt. was sleeping. The question that the FAA will ask is how long did you let the Capt. "sleep" before you tryed to wake him or suspected something was wrong? They're going to want to know why did you let another crew member violate FAR's and sleep? Then the wife will sue claiming negligence cause if the F.O. followed FAR's and tryed to wake the Capt. right away maybe he could of been saved.

Welcome to America. Very feasible scenario.

They're going to want to know why did you let another crew member violate FAR's and sleep? Then the wife will sue claiming negligence cause if the F.O. followed FAR's and tryed to wake the Capt. right away maybe he could of been saved.

What specific FAR prohibiting napping will they cite? Just curious...

91.13 Careless and reckless operation of an aircraft.
Absolutely asinine, but the catch-all used by the Feds
when someone must hang.

When I woke up from my nap I noticed that the Capt was still in his. I tried to wake him but to no avail.....

Of course any FO worth his salt will say he looked over, saw that the Capt had fallen asleep, and went to wake him. Anything short of that means that you don't have the little grey cells to be a pilot...

The F.O. says that he thought the Capt. was sleeping.

He should have never admitted that. He should have said: "I looked over and I thought he had just nodded off. I tried to wake him up and realized he was unconscious".

Hope he doesn't get into hot water over this slip of the tongue.

Since it is an eight hour flight a reasonable scenario to me is that he went to crew rest to catch a nap and never came back. When they went to check on him he was dead. Sounds reasonable and more probable to me.

Latest resources

Back