Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Zealots?

We're busy working.

Nothing like the mental capacity of a fly to jump to conclusions based on a single episode. Yet another genius....very impressive.

I'm wondering where all the super-pro-65 zealots are??

If this were a thread that was critical of the age change they would already be all over it. Page 7 and none of them are around.

For flying stuff that major airlines have scoped out?

Come on.

You know as well as the rest of us that the growth of the vendor airlines has been the result of bankruptcy laws and management when they use the system to hold a gun to the pilot group's head and get the scope changed.

Yeah...but I have a choice of whether I will work for free or not...

So do the regional whor...eerrr pilots...

>>>>I'm wondering where all the super-pro-65 zealots are?? <<<

Plenty of < age 60 pilots have died. Plenty of < age 60 pilots have medicaled out. Things happen to people of all ages. Matter of fact the most dangerous time seems to be around age 50 to 55. Once a guy makes it past that point, statistics show he's going to be good past age 65. Don't take one incodent and use it as a statistical certainity or proof. I have heard of plenty of guys who had a medical problem and a couple of have died who < age 60.

Yeah...but I have a choice of whether I will work for free or not...

So do the regional whor...eerrr pilots...

Wannabe but couldn't, eh?

It is terribly apparent.

Plenty of < age 60 pilots have died. Plenty of < age 60 pilots have medicaled out. Things happen to people of all ages. Matter of fact the most dangerous time seems to be around age 50 to 55. Once a guy makes it past that point, statistics show he's going to be good past age 65. Don't take one incodent and use it as a statistical certainity or proof. I have heard of plenty of guys who had a medical problem and a couple of have died who < age 60.

We don't have much data for airline pilots over 60. The type of flying that most senior guys do (long-haul, multiple time zones, circadial rythm chaos) isn't good for anyone and is cumulative. The "statistics" that show someone is good past 65 if they make it past 55 are not necessarily applicable to our specific environment.

Even if we do start to see a dispoportionate amount of heath issues and in-flight incapacitation of over 60 pilots, the retirement age won't move back. They will just increase the medical standards and crack down on the "easy" A.M.E.s.

Four heart attacks at CAL in 3.5 years!! Please, I'm NOT talking about ONE instance!!

CAL has been the leader in bad work rules since 1983. As I stated earlier, this guy did NOT die of natural causes, he died of contractural causes. This is going to continue to happen at CAL. We are in uncharted territory with regard to pilot mortality and what needs to happen is the pro 65ers need to unload their emotional investment in being scab-like seniority swines and start to think of the greater good. We have a lot of guys at CAL with a lot of retirement dollars that need to go ahead and leave. Staying at this until you flame out at the controls is going to saddle us with medical standards no one will be happy with. OR, if they are going to stay, be the senior, aged-sage-leader-type who can speak out against the poor work rules killing our fellow pilots and help every pilot.

Being that the rule changed in Dec 07 the oldest are approaching 62. We have no statistics yet. If you are talking about civilians you are talking apples and asparagus. They do not have the circadian disruptions over a lifetime we do. Our domestic schedules are bad enough(6am dept. day 1, 14hr duty day, 3pm the next with a 7-8 hr duty day followed up with a 8-9 hour layover then another 14hr day. Intl. is a whole different animal. Going thru whale training a few years ago the IP made a comment that stuck with me:(fatigue is the most challanging part of this airplane) coming from domestic I thought he was another whining WB guy. Boy was I wrong. Point is you cannot compare us to the general population.

Latest resources

Back