• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MSNBC: A CAL captain just died in flight. Plane making an emergency landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA is who let the scope go, not the regionals. It used to be that ALL jet flying was to be done by mainline. Dumbest thing ALPA ever did was fall for the, "but it's a REGIONAL jet. See? Regional is right in the name...you don't want to fly THAT!" line.

50 seats turned into 100+ seats pretty quick.

ALPA is who let the scope go, not the regionals. It used to be that ALL jet flying was to be done by mainline. Dumbest thing ALPA ever did was fall for the, "but it's a REGIONAL jet. See? Regional is right in the name...you don't want to fly THAT!" line.

50 seats turned into 100+ seats pretty quick.

I think it's more accurate to say that the mainline pilots chose other priorities over capturing the regional jet. It wasn't that they liked RJs less, but they liked $$$ more.

I think it's more accurate to say that the mainline pilots chose other priorities over capturing the regional jet. It wasn't that they liked RJs less, but they liked $$$ more.

It was a little of both actually. People were so focused on the size of the jet that the loss of the code took place right under their noses. Now we have Compass and Virtual Midwest doing mainline jobs for peanuts.

My target age for retirement is 49 or sooner. I will take a COLA by then too. Flying wears you out. I don't fly too much (250 or less per year) and long term health is one of my reasons for that.

Have you done the math for age 49 retirement? Unless you only think you're going to live to age 70, you probably need to put away close to half your take home pay. The kind of ultra-agressive investing that would allow "normal" 20% retirement savings to allow you to retire that early could just as easily (and more likely) bankrupt your retirement funds and leave you unable to afford age 60 retirement like many of the guys who are staying past 60 now.

Or perhaps you are counting on CAL to take care of you with a future contract that actually contains a respectable retirement plan?

Have you done the math for age 49 retirement? Unless you only think you're going to live to age 70, you probably need to put away close to half your take home pay. The kind of ultra-agressive investing that would allow "normal" 20% retirement savings to allow you to retire that early could just as easily (and more likely) bankrupt your retirement funds and leave you unable to afford age 60 retirement like many of the guys who are staying past 60 now.

Or perhaps you are counting on CAL to take care of you with a future contract that actually contains a respectable retirement plan?

CAL is 70% of my total income right now. I have other plans, not involcing CAL.

I will be gone as soon as I can get travel benefits for life and make 10k per month on my other business.......getting there...slowly but Shirley.

Latest resources

Back