• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Most embarassing moment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bouncing off my head on the last step of the clam shell door of a Lear 35.

Back when I was just starting to learn how to fly a jet I had an experience that is only funny when looking back. I was warned to have a good braced hold when opening the door of a Lear 35. What can happen is that the struts that are suppose to keep the door from flying open and pulling you out with it do not always work. Along for my learning experience was my chief pilot, boss (owner of the plane) and six members of his two companies. I had usually sat on the lav seat to keep the door from pulling me out with it. On this day the lav seat was occupied and I was.....on my own and the entertainment was about to begin. You lear guys see what's coming. I opened the top half of the door. Then I unlatched the bottom door. I pulled the cable to keep the door from swinging too wildly. Then...here it comes...I lifted up the securing "sharks teeth." I was already in an awkward position. The weight and momentum of the door pulled me out of the plane. I landed first on my head on the bottom step and second I flipped over and landed on my feet just as the lineman laid out the carpet. I was stunned for a split second and was trying to look cool as all lear pilots should. Without hesitation I flung out both arms and yelled "Ta Daa!" My boss said all he saw of me were the yellow Vibrum name on the soles of my feet. The line guys thought I did it on purpose. So every time we went to that FBO I was always asked to "do that trick you did again." I was sore for a week after that.

Kream926,

Keep on drinkin' them brewskies and you might have your most embarassing moment right here on flightinfo!:)

Have about two or three more and I'll teach you how to get a Citation into reverse (for future reference)!:p

Ultraman

I had been flying charters in Barons for some time and now I was to get checked out in Navajos so I flew right seat for a few flights to get used to the plane. On one of these right seat trips, we were waiting in the back of the plane for our pax to arrive. I forget why I got out of my seat but when I sat down again, my back pocket got caught on the armrest and tore the a$$ out of my slacks. The only thing that we could find to put my a$$ back together was a roll of duct tape. There was no way to hide this so we decided that I would just wait in the right seat when the pax arrived and the other pilot would help load the bags and unload them at the destination. It looked a little odd that the 29 year-old guy was just waiting in the cockpit while the 65 year-old guy was throwing the bags. We flew the pax to their destination (I never got out of my seat) and then we returned to our home base. Somehow, the pilot called ahead with the details of the incident without me finding out about it so when we pulled up to the hangar, everyone that worked there (pilots, mechanics, dispatchers, CP, Pres, etc..) was outside waiting for me to do my walk of shame. I was the "butt" of a lot of wise "cracks" for a while after that one!

C425Driver

Not really embarrasing but still funny: I Did most of my flight training at an airport with a skydive center. Got to know the pilot and most of the people at the jump zone and hung around there more than flight school cause the pilot liked me and let me fly a lot of jump runs with him. One night after the last jump we were hanging out and a party kind of got started. After a couple of hours it got sort of wild and some of the girls started to get topless. We thought it would be pretty cool to take a picture of the group so we all started to pile into the rear door of the grand caravan jump plane. Any body that knows grand caravans knows once we had about eleven or twelve people crammed in that door the whole plane tipped up on its a$$. The funniest part was trying to figure out how to get it back down without screwing up the nose strut.

Kream926 said:
^^^^^ that seems to be more of a saftey issue more that an embarassment

What do you know about safety in a Jet or Turbo-prop with 350 hours? Come on relax man!

lol

Hey people, i am a newbie to the forums.

My most embarrasing moment was, like i suppose all of you line training captains out there, showing a young FO the ropes, bigging yourself up on final approach, gear down, runway in sight, clearance to touchdown, and then BANG the roughest landing you have ever had, and that was a young FO who i quite fancied. :(

First solo, landings went well. I was coming back into the ramp at MDH and I guess I forgot I had wings next thing I know I hear a nice scraping metal sound as my wing scrapes over that of another 152 (fortunately no damage). Of course this was right in front of a tour of about 50 people. For the next few years every time I came into the ramp somebody would make some sort of comment on that one.

There is a town called Wear in Southern Illinois. For SIU we would give position reports all the time and there is nothing quite like saying "XXXX over Wear at 4000 ft manuevering" on a crowded frequency....

i ate an orange road cone that had been placed in front of the mooney i was flying. it shot at least 150 feet and almost took out a 421 that was taxiing by. those guys had quite the laugh.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back