Mormons and Frisbee

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
EagleRJ said:
I'm waiting for Timebuilder's opinion of the Mormons.

Are they also Christians, or are they just another group of myopic Pagans stumbling toward the darkness?

The LDS beliefs are not seen as being Biblical, since each believer has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, since no modern prophets are identified as coming before the return of Christ to claim His church, and no other scripture is given to us other than the complete scripture of the delivered Word.

Our church sends missionaries to Utah every summer.

Myopic? No.

Mislead? Absolutely, by the standard set in the Bible.

Timebuilder:

Are you of the belief that the COJCOLDS does not advocate or believe in one's personal relationship with Christ? If so, you are, in my humble opinion, quite mistaken.

ATL2CDG said:
Timebuilder:

Are you of the belief that the COJCOLDS does not advocate or believe in one's personal relationship with Christ? If so, you are, in my humble opinion, quite mistaken.

If you have someone telling you that they have a special insight to the directives of God, you are in a cult.

Timebuilder:

You did not answer my question.

You listed three 'qualifications' for being Christian of which member of the members of the COJCOLDS does not meet. I questioned the validity of one of those points. Are you unable to address this issue?

And to respond your second post, I believe every Christian church claims to have a special insight into the will of Deity - hence the plethora of denominations.

None one, not I nor anyone else, can tell you whether or not you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

I DO know that He has one word, one scripture, one doctrine, and no intermediaries who decide upon undergarments.

I'm being facetious, but you get the idea.

Since the Bible is a complete scripture, and is inerrant (which aside from having no errors also implies no errors of omission, therefore there is no othe "book") and there is no command to replicate the aspostles, the temple, or the rituals of the Old Testament, then a decision to do any of these things comes from Man, and not the word of God.

It is just that simple.

Timebuilder:

Unfortunately, I am far from being a Christian biblical scholar.

As such, I would pose you a question in hopes of being educated:

How is it that Christ could define what is his one word and one scripture some 300+ years before it was written?

Despite my lack of knowledge on the subject, I am aware that dozens of additional gospels and other works were excluded during the composition of the Holy Bible during the early history of the original church. I am not aware of any scriptural references as to what denotes 'the one word' and 'the one scripture' since the 'word' (often defined as scripture) was not collected by church 'authorities' until many generations after Christ's cruxifiction.

How is it that Christ could define what is his one word and one scripture some 300+ years before it was written?

Because of a simple concept that is difficult to understand. We are not designed to understand the mind of God, so we see Him through simple representations.

God exists outside of "time." All of exisitence is a moment to Him. He guided the assemblers, translators, the oral tradition speakers, the scribes, the multitude of people who did not know each other to bring together the Bible in a way that we cannot fully appreciate.

We are left with one explanation, 2 timothy 3:16-17 as the most clear declaration of this finished work. For us, we don't understand how this declaration could be valid. However, because this is a work of God, it is not only possible, but definite.

16 "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."

It's a God job. It is too big for Man, too complex to understand, and to merciful to be anyone else.

Last edited:
Timebuilder:

While I welcome and appreciate your efforts, that response completely fails to codify what is and what isn't the word of Deity. LDS believe that Joesph Smith was inspired by Deity when he translated the plates composing the Book of Mormon. As such, what makes the inspiration that he received any less important or valid than what any of the authors wrote?

Also, where does it state that Deity is not a linear time entity? It would amaze me that the story recounted in Genesis is so starkly structured around the basis time were Deity not bound to its constraints.

Last edited:
ATL2CDG said:
Timebuilder:

While I welcome and appreciate your efforts, that response completely fails to codify what is and what isn't the word of Deity. LDS believe that Joesph Smith was inspired by Deity when he translated the plates composing the Book of Mormon. As such, what makes the inspiration that he received any less important or valid than what any of the authors wrote?

Also, where does it state that Deity is not a linear time entity? It would amaze me that the story recounted in Genesis is so starkly structured around the basis time were Deity not bound to its constraints.

Why is what Joseph Smith did less important? Because the Bible is complete, warns of other doctrines and false teachers, and gives no indication of such a person in prophetic scripture. Remember, the Bible is THE word of God. Not A word of God. The Bible is specific as to the doctrine of God, the nature and character of God, and the method we use to pray, to praise, to follow, and be saved. Plainly, other doctrines are in conflict with the teachings of Christ, who is The Word, the personality of God that speaks to and interacts with Man. No one knows The Father, except through Him. He is the personality that formed the world, gave the commandments to Moses, and made the supreme sacrifice on our part. While we do not fully understand His nature, being that one personality is all we usually have, and we are relatively powerless and weak, it is the strength of God that makes us more than we seem.

Genesis is not given as a timeline because God exists in time, it is written that way because we do.

I can find you references and explanations by very savvy Bible scholars, but frankly, right now I have too much on my plate. I already spend more time here than I should, but it is a sacrifice I make to help my friends, you and the other pilots and beginners here, and to do so on as many subjects as I can. The Bible is only one of those subjects. Perhaps Super80 has time to answer more questions.

Maybe your best bet is to find a good Bible church, and sit down and work through your questions with someone who has devoted their life to understanding the Bible. Someone who can sit across the table and talk.

If you have the interest, that's what I would recommend.

While I do sincerely welcome your invitation, Timebuilder, I have little desire to further study Christian teachings. I have, in past 24 years, had exposure to various brands of Christianity, and at this point in my life, I have no desire to emmerse myself in the patriarchal, exclusive and thought-numbing warmth that is the Christian faith.

I don't pretend to know what is and what isn't; I am an ignorant human and but a speck on greater wholeness that is existence.

I may be cold, sad, alone and rejected in my choice, however, at least I have the freedom to do so.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back