• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More Hostages at AAI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First off, what happened was B.S. But guys have to remember not to "ask" for it. Turning down airplanes for "safety" reasons when the airplane is perfectly "safe" to fly is putting a bullet on your back. Writing up things that can only be found under panels that aren't checked after the first flight of the day is also asking for it. There is a way to do it, and a way not to do it. If you push the company expect to get pushed back, and thats exactly what happened. Don't get me wrong, I don't think these guys should have been fired. But trust me, the company most likely has enough evidence to make these firings stick. The only way these guys are gonna get there jobs back is from an agreement on a TA that says the company will bring the fired pilots backonline, and the company knows that. My point is to be smart about right ups and taxi speed. There is a way to do it, and a way not to! You can taxi at 15 knots all you want, just make sure you wait 5 minutes after pushback to call for taxi. Don't taxi slow and back ATL up. Write up stuff when it happens, don't wait until you get to a non MX station (remember, the AC could very well already know whats wrong with it, and its logging it, so the company knows if you waited until a non MX station). This is called doing your job! They can't fire you for that!

Don't get me wrong, I don't think these guys should have been fired. But trust me, the company most likely has enough evidence to make these firings stick. The only way these guys are gonna get there jobs back is from an agreement on a TA that says the company will bring the fired pilots backonline, and the company knows that.
Last I checked, you weren't an MEC officer, nor have you ever fought a termination case at arbitration, nor do you have all the information behind each case.

So even though you slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night, why don't you give these guys the benefit of the doubt (and us a rest from your armchair lawyering), and put a sock in it. Pretty please?

Thanks.

So even though you slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night, why don't you give these guys the benefit of the doubt (and us a rest from your armchair lawyering), and put a sock in it. Pretty please?

Thanks.

Pot meet kettle.

This is called doing your job! They can't fire you for that!

Well actually they can... at any time, for any reason.

Then someone can come a on this board and say how YOU were stupid for not waiting for a mx station to write that up, or for refusing a plane someone else would have taken.

Support Your fellow pilots.

Lear. I know for a fact that some of our guys are doing some stupid chit on line right now. Stuff that can, and will get them fired. Some of the stuff is absolutely rediculous. Ive seen it with my own eyes. You aren't on line are you, you haven't seen it. Thats why I say there is a way to do things, and a way not to do things. Some of these guys are just asking to get fired. There is a way to send a message to the company without giving them a reason to fire you! However, some of these guys haven't learned that yet. If a captain turns down an airplane because they don't like the MEL that states the A/C is perfectly safe to fly you better have a darn good reason. When the manufacture says its ok to fly with the MEL, the FAA says its ok to fly with the MEL the company says its ok to fly with the MEL, MX says its ok, and all the pilots before you have flown with the MEL. Thats not the situation where you wanna delay, and cancel a flight because your trying to prove a point! IVe seen it, it wasn't the guys who have been fired either. Luckily, most of the guys who Ive flown with are still operating like profesionals, in a very safe manner. Like I said, there is a way to do things and a way not to. I 100% support our pilot hostages, but some of us do some pretty stupid chit some times.

When the manufacture says its ok to fly with the MEL, the FAA says its ok to fly with the MEL the company says its ok to fly with the MEL, MX says its ok, and all the pilots before you have flown with the MEL. Thats not the situation where you wanna delay, and cancel a flight because your trying to prove a point!

Last I knew the CAPTAIN is the final authority on the safety of the flight...NOT the manufacturer...NOT the FAA...NOT the company...NOT maintenance...NOT any of the other pilots that have flown it before.

BTW - In '07, a Comair pilot was fired because he refused an airplane with an MEL'd lift motor on the airstair door. He just got his job back with full back pay and damages. Glad he had the balls to stand up for what he felt was right since at least one judge agreed with him. Here's the link... http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20090814/BIZ01/908150330/

Latest resources

Back