• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More Hostages at AAI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When a reserve is called to cover a refused aircraft, can the pilot ask scheduling the reason for his call-out? Can he too refuse it?

Just food for thought - what will the cost be to your pilot group to buy back the hostages jobs? Everything comes at some cost, especially the right thing.

When a reserve is called to cover a refused aircraft, can the pilot ask scheduling the reason for his call-out? Can he too refuse it?

Just food for thought - what will the cost be to your pilot group to buy back the hostages jobs? Everything comes at some cost, especially the right thing.

I doubt schedulers would know the exact technical details of trips in open time (and even if they do, they probably don't even have to tell you), so if you want to refuse a trip without even showing up at the gate preflighting the plane, you'd better have a good story and stick to it. Either way, you'll have to talk to coach in short order.

What FL mgmt did was totally wrong, no other way about it. There's a system in place for things like that, beginning with verbal warning. These guys are simply "fired", not furloughed, not suspended (like another FO for wearing his uniform dropping kiddos off). There's much more details to these firings that we are not privy to know, so let's give these guys the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

Maybe he just reads the logbook?

Unless the termination was for "Just Cause" as described in this link, the termination will just not stick.

AirTran Management is attempting to whip you boys into submission. Many are hoping that you whip them right back.

Nobody wins a slugfest like this but many do lose by giving in.

They are trying to affect an integral part of the bargaining group (pilot group) by conditioning your behavior in the cockpit. It won't work if you stand strong.

If a captain turns down an airplane because they don't like the MEL that states the A/C is perfectly safe to fly you better have a darn good reason. When the manufacture says its ok to fly with the MEL, the FAA says its ok to fly with the MEL the company says its ok to fly with the MEL, MX says its ok, and all the pilots before you have flown with the MEL. Thats not the situation where you wanna delay, and cancel a flight because your trying to prove a point!.

I'm not AAI, but I'd like you to answer a question gt1900.

An engine bleed valve was wired shut on a 737, resulting in a FL250 limitation and inop engine anti-ice. It was a 3:45 daytime flight across the Gulf of Mexico (including non-radar segment) and into MEX.

The agent says she heard we were legal as she lined up the pax for boarding. The mechanics said I was legal per the MEL.
3 feet of ACARS paper from dispatch said it was legal since there was no known or forecast icing and MEX had the standard HZ. He also said he had planes coming back from MEX/CUN "all day reporting smooth and clear". Our satellite weather showed no visible convective activity along the route.

gt1900, would this scenario fit your definition of guys doing things the wrong way even though I was paper legal?

Ya, whats the issue with your scenerio? If your only going to CUN and your not crossing any mts. Whats the problem? I have a feeling there is more to it then that. But flying to CUN at 25,000 ft with good weather and no icing with a bleed MEL'd seems perfectly reasonable to me? Unless theres a safety of flight issue, why would you turn that down? Turbo prop guys do that stuff all the time!

Last edited:
Ya, whats the issue with your scenerio? If your only going to CUN and your not crossing any mts. Whats the problem? I have a feeling there is more to it then that. But flying to CUN at 25,000 ft with good weather and no icing with a bleed MEL'd seems perfectly reasonable to me? Unless theres a safety of flight issue, why would you turn that down? Turbo prop guys do that stuff all the time![/QUOTE]

I sure hope that's not all you have for your argument!! How about the fact that the airplane will probably be full of passengers that like to be comfortable. One pack to CUN sounds like a very bad idea to me.

He didn't say anything about 1 pack. He said a bleed was MELd. Can you run the other pac off the APU? Not like it matters but whats the difference between 90 degrees in Atlanta or Orlando and 90 degrees in CUN? If the AC can keep the cabin cool there is no problem.

If other crews were complaining about not being able to keep the AC cool then I could see the arguement. But if they were flying around Florida and ATL when it was hot and able to keep everyone comfortable, you would be able to keep people comfortable in CUN. Its one thing to leave DEN in the winter and land in CUN. Its another to leave ATL in the summer and land in CUN. It could easily be cooler in CUN then ATL.

Last edited:
gt1900,

Just to clarify, it was into the Mexico City airport, not Cancun. The dispatcher said he had those flights "all day from Mexico City and Cancun reporting smooth and clear".

The pack wasn't the issue.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back